Author Topic: G'day from Brisbane - who does custom build trailer around here  (Read 7521 times)

Offline acerider

• Learning the Ropes
G'day from Brisbane - who does custom build trailer around here
« on: October 18, 2017, 03:43:22 PM »
Hi all,

Aaron & Jo from Brisbane - i have been looking around here for the last year looking for inspirations and enjoy many threads on various matter

We are now ready to commission a custom build trailer to suit our needs and are looking fro suggestions on places to go for good custom work at the reasonable price - we are talking sub $10k  base trailer without accessories here.

background

We haven been tent and car camping for many years in our forester before children. We tend to only stay at one spot for 1 or 2 days at a time  Our children is now 3 and 5 and we have done a few trips (stay in one spot) on a second hand trailer with a 12 ft tent we picked up ( to test the water ) - The children absolutely love it, now we are ready to organise a custom trailer so we can have a fast setup to enable us to go out more often for shorter trips (say about ten 3-day trips a year and perhaps a 1-2 week travelling trip a year).

The Trailer we are thinking

Similar to the Drifta DOT 6 tourer with a few mod such and additional 270 degree awning to cover the driver side and over the tool box area - so i will have an undercover area of about 360 degree. (we alreay have a few of their prodicts and love them - but the $26k is bit too much for our budget, and we are ever only going to take it where a SUV can go - we are going to get Hilux down the track, but i doubt i will  ever be an extreme 4WD person)

We want to get someone to build us the base trailer and install the accessories like water tank / water pump/ front box / roof top tent and awinings ourselves to save some money and the satisfaction that we build at least part of camper ourselves.

------------
any recommendations in and around Brisbane? - we are thinking talking to Jimboomba Camper trailers and aussie tough - any others?

thanks in advance of your thoughts and opinions
Brisbane - Forester (for now), maybe a Hi-lux later

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: G'day from Brisbane - who does custom build trailer around here
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:28:43 PM »
I can recommend QLD Custom Trailers on Tradelink Drv, Hillcreast - have a scroll through this link and you will get an idea of the variety of trailers he does https://www.facebook.com/Queensland-Custom-Trailers-Pty-Ltd-1573942209571905/

He is an independent guy who does all kinds of custom builds. I had him do my drawbar and boxes, and was really happy with his work. He'll build anything from a basic box trailer up to massive enclosed car trailers, and is good at listening to your ideas and working with you on a design. He is a small operation, but is in demand so you may need to be prepared to wait till he can fit you in though. Definitely not the cheapest, but you'll get a quality item.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:32:47 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:57:28 PM »
That Dot 6 thing looks similar to what Kev is selling http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=53234.0
I have no idea if a family fits in the Dot 6 or not, but if your plan is to use the trailer and another tent, then maybe Kev's is an option?.....under budget and spare $1000 towards a quick erect tent
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »
That Dot 6 thing looks similar to what Kev is selling http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=53234.0
I have no idea if a family fits in the Dot 6 or not, but if your plan is to use the trailer and another tent, then maybe Kev's is an option?.....under budget and spare $1000 towards a quick erect tent
good advice and most of the battle is already complete this way!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 07:40:47 PM »
thanks for the kind words guys....

yep mine is still for sale....i am coming up to morayfield this friday to drop something off and then return on sunday. Will be bringing the camper up

kev
0439 648 248
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 09:13:19 AM »
Half way through reading your post I was thinking Jimboomba trailers seeing they make all sorts of trailers, but then at the end you already know about them. My Jimboomba camper is now 8 years old never had a problem, so I know another 4 families who have Jimboomba trailers who are also happy.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 01:42:16 PM »
Half way through reading your post I was thinking Jimboomba trailers seeing they make all sorts of trailers, but then at the end you already know about them. My Jimboomba camper is now 8 years old never had a problem, so I know another 4 families who have Jimboomba trailers who are also happy.

Just to clarify, Jimboomba Campers and Jimboomba Trailers were 2 different companies.

Jimboomba Campers folded and dissapeared overnight - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=26237.0 and then were subsequently purchased by Jimboomba Trailers. Jimboomba Trailers have since moved from Jimboomba to Bethania - https://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/bethania/jimboomba-trailers-fabrication-pty-ltd-12859056-listing.html

The bloke at Qld Custom Trailers in the link above, used to be a builder at Jimboomba Trailers before going solo.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 01:53:04 PM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline acerider

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »
Kev,

we had a look at Viper & the latest Austrack version of it - it's not big enough for the family and the setup is not quite what we want - I will say that at $10k with foxwing and other little mods you have, it's pretty good value for the right camper. Yep the standard awning is crap and a foxwing is better and quicker - what did you find the fold-down support for awning - was it stable in windy condition once setup ? - this was one of those setup we were thinking of if we dont end up using drifta type actuator setup.

Spada,

thanks for the suggestion, i will add to on my list to check out -QLD Custom Trailers

Beachman,

good to know Jimboomba trailer last the distance - which model do you have - or is it a custom job

--------

thanks for all the comments so far
The following users thanked this post: woolgoolgaoffroad

Offline acerider

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 01:46:44 PM »
http://www.jimboombacampertrailers.com.au/

guess they are another lot then? ---- original owner before selling to the now closed-up Jimboomba Camper?

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 02:57:05 PM »
Rob was the original owner of Jimboomba Campers and sold it around 7 years ago.

Rumour has is the new owner didn’t do a very good job and got into financial trouble. So about 3-4 years ago the bank approached Rob to see if he wanted to buy it back, which he did.

I took my trailer back to Rob purely for a cosmetic change  about 3 years ago and noticed he diversified (Smart move considering the number of Camper trailer companies who have gone belly up in Australia)  So in his shed apart from Camper Trailers there were Boat, Car and Excavator trailers along with custom alloy canopies for utes.

The Web site came up when I googled it, so presume it’s still open.

http://www.jimboombacampertrailers.com.au/page/1/Home

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Quote from: Beachman
Rumour has is the new owner didn’t do a very good job and got into financial trouble.
There was a screamer of a thread on here about it..

Trailer builders are everywhere.. and don't just look at camper trailer manufacturers.. google/whitepages will show you Shit loads..

Then go see a few and see their work in person and discuss what you want - you may hit it off straight away with the bloke keen to do it... What someone else finds acceptable you may take to the tip.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home