Author Topic: Great Koala National Park  (Read 2309 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Great Koala National Park
« on: August 23, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »
https://npansw.org/what-we-do/our-work/campaigns/great-koala-national-park/

This is back on the Agenda, not that it ever went away for some, with some of our Greens Councils pushing for it.  I am all for protecting and helping the koalas numbers to increase again but with National Parks track record of managing the land and existing tracks it may well be the death knoll not just for for 4wding but a lot of exploring for a large section of the North Coast with existing State Forests to be handed over to and become National Park forming the one Great Koala National Park. 

Last time this was bandied about the maps at the time had pretty all State Forest from roughly Kempsey to the Qld Border but I see in the maps this time around they are looking at Kempsey to just south of the Clarence. 

Still a massive chunk of countryside to lock up and turn into bushfire country to kill all the Koalas off in.    Oops did I say that aloud. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Great Koala National Park
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 08:41:06 PM »
Election time.  So we have the usual crowd pushing to close our State Forests and lock it up like National Parks and call it eco tourism. 

Leave our State Forests alone and let us freely go about our recreation. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 08:46:38 PM »
Send them to Cape Otway National Park and let them see what happens when Koalas go unchecked.
We visited about seven or eight years ago, spotted 50+ koala in 500 metres, back two years ago, no koalas, no trees with any vegetation, completely and utterly devastated by them.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 09:13:33 PM »
Yep for some many reasons State Forestry manage the land, flora and fauna so much better.  Their guise of eco tourism is to make you pay for what we are already freely allowed to do in a State Forest and to stop us doing what they don't want us doing.  Just wrong on so many levels. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 08:48:36 AM »
It makes sense to open up more habitat, that way you don't get what is happening in the Otways and other regions around Australia, I don't see an issue personally, small price to pay to help the Koala.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »
Koalas already live in State Forests and Forestry already have Management Plans in place to ensure the survival and protection of the not just the Koala but all Native flora and fauna while still harvesting timber.  Why destroy something that is already working to replace it with something that has a management plant that involved locking everyone out of.   

All the activities and EcoTourism that wish to be set up in the new Great Koala National Park are already freely available in State Forests or can be set up just as easy in State Forest.  The greatest push for the Great Koala National Park is directly to stop the logging, to stop a successful renewable sustainable industry that has far great benefits for the Community and environment to replace it with something we are locked out of and mismanaged.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 08:25:14 AM »
Koala numbers are declining on the mainland because of loss of habitat.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 08:27:09 AM »
Quote from: Redback
Koala numbers are declining on the mainland because of loss of habitat.

agree.. thats why we have these small 'pockets' jam packed with them which is no good for anybody, specially the animals themselves.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home