Author Topic: Fuel Prices vs Exchange rate, are we being ripped of  (Read 20523 times)

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
Fuel Prices vs Exchange rate, are we being ripped of
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:02:46 PM »
Hi all,
noticed that the price of fuel in Adelaide went up today. Unleaded now sits somewhere between $1.25 and $1.30, Diesel still remains about $1.25, and gas at about .60cents, my question to all is - a couple of years ago fuel went up and they blamed the weak dollar and the crude price, now that we are nearly $ for $ fuel goes up by 10% overnight and the barrel price is way down on what it was a couple years ago. If someone can explain the logic to me that would good, or are we being ripped of or what's the story ??
whats the price of Juice where you live and does it fluctuate much??
cheers
Garry H

Offline Pauly

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Whats This?
Re: Fuel Prices vs Exchange rate, are we being ripped of
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 06:42:29 AM »
Yes we are being ripped off.....

Price of fuel here is $1.19 rising to $1.34. It used to be a 10c fluctuation but now its 15c >:(. Same as the 95 octane was about 6c dearer than unleaded and the e10 was about 3c cheaper than unleaded. Now 95 octane is on average 15c dearer than e10.

Nothing will change because we have toothless authorities.

Cheers Pauly

New ride 2005 Landcruiser Sahara, Mickey T,s, dual batts Arb Sahara Bar, HID lights :)

Self made camper

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »
Yep, being ripped off.

Offline Jardry

• Tent User
  • 2005 Jayco Freedom / 1999 Outback Sturt
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:38:50 AM »
When you have a product that pretty much no-one can go without, you will always be held to ransom.

This link to Fuelwatch explains the way in which the price is set.

Unfortunately we are being manipulated by OPEC and this then impacts on the price of Singapore crude oil which what determines what we end up paying at the pump. Everytime it seems prices are meant to go down, they come up with another reason to raise or maintain the current price.

In Australia the ACCC is meant to watch that there is no price collusion.

So in the end we all get screwed over as there will always be a "reason" for the price being what it is.

I can't understand the rationale as all - all I know is that we seem to keep paying through the nose.

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 07:41:49 AM »
dam, diesel in tassie is like 1:36 about 10-15 cents more the LRP, well for me anyhow
HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
"Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Offline OffRoadDave

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If I think I can build it I will!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 08:20:49 AM »
I reckon the fuel companies saw that the country can take up to $1.80 per litre for fuel a few years back, and ever since they've been trying to figure out ways to get back there, but make the profit themselves rather than only making their margin + exchange rate.

Offline oldturtle22

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
What!!!!!!!!!!!

fuel companies are ripping us off??????????????

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 08:55:03 AM »
Ridiculous that we are pegged to Singapore oil prices.  For example, we don't import any LPG, so why peg that...
The U$ is probably at a poor exchange rate to Singapore, I guess, but I would assume that the oil co's are using every opportunity to rip us off anyway.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 09:31:17 AM »
Yes we are being ripped off. Fuel companies got a shock when the price fell to $1 a litre.  Didn't last long...!

People say we can't do anything about it but we can make a difference.  If you find a station that sells fuel cheaper than anyone else, buy it from them only.  Don't buy petrol at the beginning of the fuel price cycle.  Buy it at the end.  Usually Wednesday night. Diesel doesn't fluctuate much but the price differs significantly between various stations. Look for a consistently cheaper outlet and buy your fuel from there.

This is not going to change the world but it can make a small enough difference in your area to generate competition and save you a few dollars each week.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 12:21:40 PM »
We just don't see the fuel price fluctuations out here like you guys do in the city and coastal areas. Our prices just stay up there and don't change week to week by much if at all.

Of course, the government is never going to stop the price gouging of fuel companies...especially when they stand to gain so much in taxes from fuel anyway.

Have a look at how the NSW govt never removed their so called 3x3 tax on fuel...they just love getting that bit extra that they don't deserve.  ::)

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 01:25:29 PM »
Remember when diesel was about half the price of petrol? Boy, do I wish it was that now. Unfortunately, fuel is now one of the big ticket items when travelling. Especially when trying to cover long distances.  But, it is all worth it.  It is the only way to travel. ;D   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 02:37:57 PM »
LPG is the worst....In Albany WA (only 400 km from perth) ULP is approx $1.29 and Diesel approx $1.32 and we are with 10 to 14 cents of perth prices most of the time. (we dont have cheap tuesdays and expensive fridays like city..we stay constant)
Perth LPG prices are approx 59 cents a litre whilst in Albany its 90 cents a litre.....LPG in Albany never goes down in price..and if you live in the North West where the gas comes from the price for LPG is criminal and no vehicles (except for tourist from the big smokes with there CT :D) use gas  because its cheaper to use imported Diesel and ULP than local LPG..you figure..cause I cant....(someone told me that if you look at the mark up of LPG for say just a place like Albany where its  30 cents + a liter more expensive than Perth and look at how much you can fit into a tanker (its compressed liquid) he reckon you could buy a new semi truck with every trip  ;D)..kind regards Albany Nomads
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 04:32:11 PM »
AAAAhhhh come on ,   The blokes that fix the fuel prices  Ben Dover & his side kick Phillip McCrack , you  know that  & you surly feel it .  >:(
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 05:17:35 PM »
Don't get me started on the fuel prices, but seeing you have, well, here is my 2c worth. It boils down to 2 players in the retil market in Australia, Coles and Woolies.

At present you have Coles ans Woolies dominating the market, nearly 90% and rising, the 4 to 8c you get from your shopper docket, tear it up, saves about 40 to 60c on a 50ltrs tank...really FK all in the whole scheme of things...its called marketing...and people are falling for it in a big way. Idiots!
Same with those bloody customer cards, frequent shooper and flyer cards, they try to flog you... good to see people giving out their private buying details to the marketers, tell em to get stuffed!
These bastards are ripping us off blind and the ACCC and govt's both state and federal can't do a thing about it...but can they?...remember the cross media ties. A media mogal could 'nt have a TV station and newspaper in the same city/state.
Extend the same concept to Coles and Woolies, in each town or suburb, they can have either a supermarket, a fuel station, a Hotel or proprietory store, not all.
These mongrels own about 80% of all the pokies in Australia, but who's counting and thats a different story, plus every $1.00 you spend every day, 60c goes to either Woolies or Coles directly...
These bastards own the following:
Dick Smith, Tandy, Caltex outlets, Mobil outlets, Dan Murphy's, BWS, Bunnings, Officeworks,K mart, Big W, Liqour Land, plus over 300 hotels each, just to name a few and the list will be added with Woolies entering the DIY market.
The prices in Australia of LPG, ULP and Diesel are bloody discusting, if this happened in France, Greece, there would be riots outside the head offices of these 2 mongrels.
But we in Australia, just bend over and cope it again...I hope they are using condoms...

Offline swampmonster

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
You probably are right about coles and woolies, however they are the only discounting outlets in Tassie, if it wasnt for them we really would be paying throught the nose. Even before your handy dandy shopper docket, there pump price is less then united and liberty( which were supposed to keep the bastards honest! but havent). Perhaps they need to pass legislation to give ACCC a backbone and a heart to have a crack!

cheers

Offline ezza

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 07:21:16 PM »
when i was in n.y. in July this year diesel was 2.86 per gallon = 0.75 per litre , so if we are supposed to be paying world pricing we are well and truly being bent over , in perth we are paying about 1.23 per lt for diesel but depends on where you go, i try to steer well clear of coles and woolies .

Offline pinko

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »
Hey Morgue
Ever given any thought as to where you superanuation dollars are distributed so there will be a a nest egg for you when you retire.
They don't have these things in greece and Spain and that is why they have 20% unemployment and old people who can no longer work beg for food of us tourists outside macdonalds restaurants. If you drop a bumper on the ground half a dozen guys will dive on it. I used to see the same thing as a kid growing up in Manly as as a kid.
Go and buy a few shares in some of these big companies you mentioned and you will get fully franked dividends (not Taxed)
Just watch us smart old buggers pull our retirement cash out of the banks if the government puts controls on them.
Then when you want a new fourby or a loan for some BGF's there will be no cash avaliable.
The government is already up to hock to the eyeballs from china and the arab nations for hundreds of billions.
Our petroleum price is set on the Singapore market not on that number you see on tv on the news.
For most of us Aussies things are not to bad.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 07:08:37 AM »
I think the best rip off I came across on our last trip was in NT.  Stopped at Cape Crawford to top up after coming up the Tablelands Highway, not knowing what fuel stations are further along, on our way to Borroloola. Cape Crawford diesel was $1.95 a litre.  We then found the price at Borroloola was only $1.75.  Now I understand the long distances the refuelling trucks would need to travel and the obvious need for a price difference, but the trucks would have to go past Cape Crawford to get to Borroloola, some 120 ks up the road?  I suppose the fuel at Borroloola must be subsidised.  But, like I always say, the choice is ours. You can pay these big prices, or just stay at home and fade away.  Life is so very short and valuable. How can you but a price on that.  :cheers:    Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 07:59:15 AM »
Its 10c a litre cheaper on Thursday island than Seisha... Work that one out.
Living the Dream.

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 10:45:23 AM »
Remember a couple of years ago when we were constantly told that a $1 increase per barrel of crude, meant a 1 cent per litre increase?
That was when crude was around $150 per barrel.
Now it's down in the $80 per barrel range, based on that theory, the fuel should be around 70 cents per litre, and that doesn't take the dollar value into account.
Are we being ripped off? Hell yes, but until we adopt the American system of accountability, that is political or corporate assassination, nothing's gonna change.

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
Hey Morgue
Ever given any thought as to where you superanuation dollars are distributed so there will be a a nest egg for you when you retire.
They don't have these things in greece and Spain and that is why they have 20% unemployment and old people who can no longer work beg for food of us tourists outside macdonalds restaurants. If you drop a bumper on the ground half a dozen guys will dive on it. I used to see the same thing as a kid growing up in Manly as as a kid.
Go and buy a few shares in some of these big companies you mentioned and you will get fully franked dividends (not Taxed)
Just watch us smart old buggers pull our retirement cash out of the banks if the government puts controls on them.
Then when you want a new fourby or a loan for some BGF's there will be no cash avaliable.
The government is already up to hock to the eyeballs from china and the arab nations for hundreds of billions.
Our petroleum price is set on the Singapore market not on that number you see on tv on the news.
For most of us Aussies things are not to bad.

I know where my supa dollars are going, straight into the pockets of those mongrels in Pitt St. Now you are reallly talking about a rip off, by 2012, 1 Trillion dollars, that's right, 1 Trillion dollars will be held by supa companies, and not one cent has been really invested in infrustructure from these thugs..

We had a national bank called Commonwealth at one stage,where all of us tax payers were share holders in one way or another, then the government got conned by investment bankers, to sell the Commonwealth off for money. 
Then it happened all over again when Telstra got sold off, Qantas,State electricity companies, State paid and owned freeways, State gas companies and now with QR rail.
Keep you eyes on the state desalination plants and the Snowy Hydro Scheme over the next 10 years, the merchant and investmant bankers are just inching to get their claws into them. We the tax payer has paid for the infrustructure, and those buggars conn the governments to sell it, then we get charged to use something we already own and have paid off.
So who is having who in the scheme of things...

The fees the supa funds charge you, have a look at your statement, some time, they charge you, not on your contributions, but on the balance of your supa account.
The thing with supa is, that it is not an asset until it is realised at a date of collection, so at the moment, you are paying your hard earned money into a scheme, that promises,(as Howard use to say "Not a Core Promise) promises mind you ( not guaranteed) a return of funds, based on a rate of returns that the market dictates.
Then the laws can be changed on how you are allocated  those returns, either lump some or partical payments...they can be changed by the government or the institution and you have no say in the matter.
Talk about the Emperiors new clothes !

As for the debt, well, the public debt, that is debt of the Federal government, is well less than that debt held by the private sector, ie BHP and credit card holders...even with the expansion of government spending over the last 12 months, the amount of $46 billion is less then the debt of Rio Tinto & BHP, even the total government debt of $125 billion, is less then the public debt by over 50%.
BHP had blown over $900 million alone in the last 10 months in dud attempts to buy into some OS comapanies...now if I was a share holder in BHP, I would want some bloody answers...
I digress,
Back to the fuel prices, the wholesale price is dictated by the Singapore price, that is true, but what we have at the moment is that the retail price, the bowser price is being colluded and manipulated by the oil companies and the retailers...
The problem is, we are letting them get away with it.

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »
The problem is, we are letting them get away with it.

What do you think the solution is to stop them getting away with it?

I'm sure we would all love cheaper petrol.  I remember an e-mail going around a couple of years ago suggesting that no one buys from BP.  If that happened then BP would have to drop their price to entice customers, therefore other retailers would have to drop price to be competitive.  It didn't work obviously!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:47:51 AM by JKohn »

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 06:10:04 PM »
What do you think the solution is to stop them getting away with it?

I'm sure we would all loe cheaper petrol.  I remember an e-mail going around a couple of years ago suggesting that no one buys from BP.  If that happened then BP would have to drop their price to entice customers, therefore other retailers would have to drop price to be competitive.  It didn't work obviously!

In respect to the supa, government guarantee that payments from supa funds can be taken as a lump sum, tax free. (Fat chance of that happening)
Banks, 1/. The big 4 Banks to be profit taxed, just like the miners will be. 2/. Tax incentives for regional banking ie Bendigo Bank to set up in smaller populated areas 3/. Bank charges to be capped, ATM charges scrapped. 4/. Government to reduce taxes and charges on retail petrol prices, by 40%. 5/. Federal government to limit state governments from taxing petrol 6/. Increase the business incentives for independant / sole traders of retail petrol stations. 6/. Bring in a referendum with regards to ending the GST, the quicker we piss this thing off, the better. 7/. Cross ownership laws against Coles and Woolies.

But anyway this is a camping forum, enough of the economics.

Offline Blunt

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 09:58:33 AM »
You probably are right about coles and woolies, however they are the only discounting outlets in Tassie, if it wasnt for them we really would be paying throught the nose. Even before your handy dandy shopper docket, there pump price is less then united and liberty( which were supposed to keep the bastards honest! but havent). Perhaps they need to pass legislation to give ACCC a backbone and a heart to have a crack!

cheers

Yup nice and cheap, until they drive the independants out of business.........

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »
In respect to the supa, government guarantee that payments from supa funds can be taken as a lump sum, tax free. (Fat chance of that happening)
Banks, 1/. The big 4 Banks to be profit taxed, just like the miners will be. 2/. Tax incentives for regional banking ie Bendigo Bank to set up in smaller populated areas 3/. Bank charges to be capped, ATM charges scrapped. 4/. Government to reduce taxes and charges on retail petrol prices, by 40%. 5/. Federal government to limit state governments from taxing petrol 6/. Increase the business incentives for independant / sole traders of retail petrol stations. 6/. Bring in a referendum with regards to ending the GST, the quicker we piss this thing off, the better. 7/. Cross ownership laws against Coles and Woolies.

But anyway this is a camping forum, enough of the economics.

A couple of questions - not in an arguementative way but again a more out of curiosity - it's interesting to see how other people think:

If super could be taken in a lump sum, wouldn't some just blow it on a new Ferrari and a trip around the world, or go to the casino and blow it on the pokies - then where would they be left?  You've earned an income for your whole life so why would you suddenly need a massive lump sum all of a sudden?
1, 2, and 3) I agree
4 and 5) If petrol revenue is decreased that is great for us motorists, but how would this income to the govt be replaced? 
2nd 6) You have 6 twice :) Again where would all the revenue then come from if the gst is scrapped?  Don't you think gst is a fairer tax system rather than what we had previously where the payg earners beared the brunt of most things and cash job earners (eg tradies) got away with heaps?
7) Agree