Author Topic: Fraser Island Idiot Report  (Read 31092 times)

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
Fraser Island Idiot Report
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:42:16 AM »
 Just spent 12 days on the island, great weather, great time, some great people but some real idiots in 4x4s. Pulled out 7 cars in the 12 days, first question was always the same "what's your tyre pressure?", answers were either, 25, 20 or "don't know". When I suggested they down pressure to 15 psi they looked at me as if I just landed in a spaceship from Mars. One guy wanted me to join my snatch strap to his with a bow shackle, he got the sh*ts when I told him that was a good way to kill his wife and two kids standing on the side of the track, another didn't have a compressor or even a tyre gauge. Came across a back packer in a Pajero bogged to the axles at the Champagne Pool track, he was digging out the tyres to put his floor mats underneath for traction (10 out of 10 for initiative). Conversation went like this:
Me: What's your tyre pressure?
Him: Half
Me: Half of what?
Him: 50
Me: You've got 25 psi? Put the down to 15 and you will drive out
Him: My mate told me you'll spin the tyre off the rim if you do that
Me: Your mate is wrong
     At this point I convinced him to put his tyres down to 15 and use my Maxtrax. He got out.

Came across a scene of vehicular and emotional carnage. Scene like this, guy in a Jeep Patriot ( yes that's correct) bogged to the wheel arches. Went to help out with the Maxtrax but was told we weren't needed. Now it got interesting. Guy backs up with his Prado and a snatch strap but he got bogged too, guy then backs up in his Patrol and snatches the Prado, takes the snatch strap off, reverses around the Prado and proceeds to rip the rear bumper off the Prado and turn the side of his Patrol into copper art. The guy in the Patriot suddenly decided he needs our Maxtrax and shovel.

It took me three goes at trying to convince another guy that bad things can happen when you try and use a snatch strap off a tow ball.

There is a serious side to all this. People are going onto the island in badly prepared vehicles with little or no recovery equipment. Even worse people have equipment but don't know how to use it.
   A couple of points worth noting. People still reach for the snatch strap first. I found That Maxtrax are better and safer (if a bit slower) for retrieving a single vehicle, not so good if the vehicle is towing. Snatch straps are still very good but are much better when used with an equaliser strap, unfortunately most people have never heard of them.
  One final scene, driving off the island at Inskip Point there was a guy in a 100 series Landcruiser towing a dual axle Jayco Expander Outback heading to the barge, he made it about 20 metres onto the beach before he sank the wheels. Where is the advice from authorities that this is not a good idea?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Fraser Island Idiot Report
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
 :worthles: :worthles: :worthles: :worthles:  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:22:56 AM »
Pretty sure at all the QPWS Booking centers and web sites,  its stated that towing caravans onto Fraser isnt advised ..
Cant get much clearer than this..  People just need  to read things for a change  ..
## quote ##
What sort of vehicle is suitable for Fraser Island?
Only high clearance 4WD vehicles are suitable for Fraser Island's sandy forest tracks and beaches. Drivers of all-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive vehicles with low ground clearance may find beach access points and inland tracks impassable.

Only off-road trailers are recommended. Drivers should ensure their vehicle is capable of towing trailers in deep soft sand, as the articulation function becomes hampered or worse, jams, when the coupling cannot adjust to the different levels or turns encountered when driving on Fraser Island.

Vehicles that get stuck in soft sand or boggy beach conditions can hold up traffic for hours. Be self-sufficient with vehicle recovery gear. Be prepared and able to get yourself out of bogged situations. QPWS Rangers, if nearby, can offer some assistance, but they cannot pull you free due to the risk involved with the use of 'snatch straps' and towing equipment.

Why are caravans and low clearance trailers not recommended?
Beach access tracks are heavily used and contain long stretches of deep loose sand. Vehicles towing caravans or low clearance trailers can get stuck (bogged) and it can take hours to clear the track for other traffic. In some instances a vehicle recovery service must be called in, often holding up traffic for up to 12 hours. Vehicles have been badly damaged during recovery or 'swamped' on the rising tide.
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline whoohoo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »
Great report. People should have basic recovery gear and knowledge about appropriate tyre pressure, etc before being allowed on the island. Getting bogged at a blind corner or just over a ridge can be dangerous for other traffic. It’s required by law to have safety gear for boats so why not apply similar rules to 4wd’s going to the islands.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
Only mad dogs and Englishmen go to the island at Christmas and Easter.
The following users thanked this post: GROB

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:41:10 AM »
Quote from: GBC
Only mad dogs and Englishmen go to the island at Christmas and Easter.

calling BD.. ;D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »
:worthles: :worthles: :worthles: :worthles:  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Bit hard to take happy snaps with a shovel in your hand

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 01:04:39 PM »
We haven't been there since the greens got together and built plantations along the beach at Lake McKenzie to prevent erosion........dick heads.

The place is a dick head magnet during the idiot season. Best time to go is during the off peak seasons as all the idiots are at work.

Bribe is the same too these days.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »
95% of my off-road driving these days is in sand because we love it. 

About 95% of people's issues are related to tyre pressures, the other 5% is because they are too heavy on the right foot, driving like they're in a 4WD Action DVD, or simply haven't got a clue.

Sadly, there's not enough encouragement in the 4WD Clubs to get members to do a basic proficiency course, we are currently training 4 trainers in our Club, and actively encourage every member and their partner to do a proficiency course as a minimum.

The biggest issue I believe is that a large majority of people who own a 4WD think that because they could afford it they automatically known how to drive under any conditions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »
4wd club "training courses" are not worth the time and effort.

They are alway run by the "self appointed" expert and there is always a cost.

Most are not accredited or a Registered Trainng Organisation (RTO). So the trading you receive isn't worth anything.

You are better off giving the clubs a miss and attend a registered and certified off road course.

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »

Most are not accredited or a Registered Trainng Organisation (RTO). So the trading you receive isn't worth anything.

You are better off giving the clubs a miss and attend a registered and certified off road course.
We will be shortly running accredited courses for our members.

No self appointed experts.

4wd Victoria are very keen on Clubs running accredited courses with qualified trainers.

Until now, we've used the 4WD Victoria trainers and facilities as we haven't had our own trainers...

It differs between states and Clubs of course

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:15:24 PM by DrewXT »
2013 Amarok Highline

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 02:06:01 PM »
One of the best things we've done was a 2 day 4wd course with an accredited provider in Adelaide.
Thursday night session was theory, Saturday was practical, all day on a private property.
10 vehicles only, 2 drivers per vehicle.
Covered, sand, mud, water crossing, rocky ground, washouts, steep descents and ascents, recoveries etc.
Best thing the wife has done, she loves 4wd now as she has a far better understanding of what our vehicle is capable of doing.
We were lucky the day we did it as their were 10 different 4wds so we got to see a great cross section of vehicles right thru from our old Pathfinder up to the latest 200 series cruiser. ;D
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 02:12:09 PM »
Hi. Was over there last Tuesday and saw a guy at Lake McKenzie in an SRT Grand Cherokee, the one with the 6.4 semi demi Hemi - the plastic fake underbody protection was ripped off, his rear bumper bar was severely creased. His 20 or 21” tyres wouldn’t have allowed much in the way of reduced pressure. He seemed puzzled when he saw the damage. He wouldn’t have done the tracks much good as he churned though.

Later I saw a tilt tray making its way down one of the inland tracks - wonder if it was for him.

While he may have been a newbie, in this day of information, ignorance is a choice.

TC
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:14:39 PM by topcat »
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »

the club I used to be in had an accredited trainer and many others do also, anyone that did the course at my old club attained accreditation for doing so. It was a 2 day course held at a 4wd park
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »
Pretty sure at all the QPWS Booking centers and web sites,  its stated that towing caravans onto Fraser isnt advised ..
Cant get much clearer than this..  People just need  to read things for a change  ..
## quote ##

Only off-road trailers are recommended. Drivers should ensure their vehicle is capable of towing trailers in deep soft sand, as the articulation function becomes hampered or worse, jams, when the coupling cannot adjust to the different levels or turns encountered when driving on Fraser Island.

But they say this for all places where you may need to use ya bloody brains a bit. First trip out to Sundown National Park, they told us towing trailers in was not advisable but we went in with all the gear loaded up and dropped pressures before the slippery shale climbs and walked them first to pick our lines and all was good. Just saying that they are covering their arses against stupidity.  :angel:

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »
the club I used to be in had an accredited trainer and many others do also, anyone that did the course at my old club attained accreditation for doing so. It was a 2 day course held at a 4wd park

I don't think an accreditation HAS to be attained for a lot of newbies.......just doing a 4wd course to get an understanding of your vehicle and recovery techniques is more important.

I'm no "expert", but I'm sure I could show some newbies some stuff that was certainly better than nothing..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »
This is timely...

https://www.facebook.com/igotboggedatinskippoint/videos/1333769193395440/

2013 Amarok Highline

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »
This is timely...

Jesus.
WTF was the guy in the dual cab doing there in the first place.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 03:12:11 PM »
I can’t remember what the process was when we got our permit for Fraser Is back when we visited in 2011 or what it is now but perhaps if there was some sort of online test with basic multiple choice questions on type pressures, recoveries etc as well as basic recommended recovery gear that forms the permit application process and is printed out with the permit.
I understand you will still get the ones who will disregard this sort of info but surely it will stick with some users.

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
This is timely...

Just lucky the damage is to vehicle and pride, and no one is wearing the bullbar.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »
You can tow a caravan/crossover onto Fraser with few issues if you only travel along the beach at low tide.  Along the beach front campsites you see them everywhere.  Trying to get them into the inland campsites however is folly.

The amount of morons I've found on Fraser is unreal, the moron hotspots I've found is the u-turn at the top of the hill behind Waddy point campground, and the south Ngkala rocks bypass.  We now time our travel at the bottom of low tide so we can avoid those two spots.

The one and only time I have been bogged on Fraser was a time I needed to take evasive action to avoid a collision with a moron flying around a blind corner.  I had the camper on and the sand was too soft to get going again.  I decided to winch myself out rather than accept the assistance of the nearby 'experts'.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 03:19:54 PM »
Just lucky the damage is to vehicle and pride, and no one is wearing the bullbar.
So many wrong things in that video.

No damper, too much speed from the Patrol, attached to the wrong point - the lower control arm mounts are so much better without recovery points, just lucky there were no closer observers, although it looked like the Delica was within range of the bulbar whipping around
Jesus.
WTF was the guy in the dual cab doing there in the first place.
Probably had to drive through the puddle... I don't get driving through water unless you have to, it has the potential to cause so much damage

2013 Amarok Highline

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 03:51:56 PM »
I don't think an accreditation HAS to be attained for a lot of newbies.......just doing a 4wd course to get an understanding of your vehicle and recovery techniques is more important.

I'm no "expert", but I'm sure I could show some newbies some stuff that was certainly better than nothing..
the club I was in it was a requirement to do the course to stay a member, it just happened to be the course was accredited at the same time. I agree some training is better then nothing, but from a club liability stand point these days, it's probably better the clubs trainer be an accredited trainer, rather then someone who might be just as knowledgeable but not have the qualifications.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 03:52:16 PM »
in this day of information, ignorance is a choice.

Consider this line stolen, because it's 100% true! I was brand new to off roading just a couple of years ago, but thanks to the internet and (I like to think) a healthy dose of common sense, I've never been in trouble. Helped out plenty of others who were though.
I can't fathom the mentality that takes a 4WD vehicle to a place like Fraser Island without doing even a little bit of research. If not because you're afraid of losing your very expensive vehicle, then how about just so you don't look like a clueless idiot?

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 04:07:59 PM »
I done a two day off road course with the CFA a few years ago. Best time I've ever had with my clothes on. We were driving 10 t dual cab trucks on some of the best tracks you'll ever see. Was in Anglesea on Linfox's training ground. Soft sand,mud,32° inclines and huge skid pans. Learned nothing tho 😎
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion