Author Topic: Facebook Group, I Got Bogged at Inskip Point  (Read 23161 times)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Facebook Group, I Got Bogged at Inskip Point
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »
saving weight...

Or used them as max tracks

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »

The ute is a Mazda BT50
The caravan is more likely the smaller MDC xt12 or similar
I wish when I was contracting I got payed metre rates using your meter measurement, not sure the tray is a meter longer than standard
We are all just guessing
The gas bottle and jerry cans may be empty

I'm waiting for the owners explanation video, saying they weren't overloaded, but just hit a bump and whackadoodle! Even though they never weighed it on a weigh bridge,  its all guestimates.
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:58 AM »
Quote from: 03GV
I'm waiting for the owners explanation video, saying they weren't overloaded, but just hit a bump and whackadoodle! Even though they never weighed it on a weigh bridge,  its all guestimates.

He used to have an F150 someone here said... probably easily carried 4ton.. Chassis was probably made of steel, compared to modern tin...  He's bought the new beaut ute with "on paper" figures of what it can carry... expected it would have to carry at least same as the Effy, and away he went... but as someone said - look at the distance on the towbar tongue to the chassis, its almost acres - fark loads of leverage.
-
Click to enlarge

Asssembled by Lifestyle Qld
Transformed by Kiwi in Melbourne
Wiring by Evo

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »
I was toying with the idea of getting a longer tongue to give myself a little bit more space around the back doors with the trailer on. Not so keen on the idea anymore.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2018, 07:16:06 PM »
I was toying with the idea of getting a longer tongue to give myself a little bit more space around the back doors with the trailer on.
I had to read that twice
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »
I read it four times. Still not sure
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »
That's funny bird! :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline two up

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2018, 09:15:23 PM »
LMFAO 😱

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2018, 05:26:55 AM »
Haha, that did work out pretty well. I wasn't even trying.

Offline InnerCityBoy

• Swag User
  • Camper trailer-ing since 2014
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »
Sorry for the super naive question ... but why is getting bogged at Inskip Point considered to be so funny / embarrassing?
2015 Jayco Flamingo Outback
2015 Prado GXL 2.8 D4D

Online Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »

Sorry for the super naive question ... but why is getting bogged at Inskip Point considered to be so funny / embarrassing?
Because people ignore the conditions at their peril.
They seem to think that you can drive anywhere in a 4WD, with it setup for a bitumen Highway.
Just like a lot of steering wheel attendants think you can drive everywhere at the posted speed limit.
Then blame everything/everybody else for the calamity they cause.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's,
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.
HDJ105r coming soon.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2018, 12:04:52 PM »
A bit like laughing at kids when they fall down I suppose..??

The fact that Inskip is the first bit of sand you touch on the way to Fraser and it just happens to often be the softest and trickiest bit, mixed with the fact that the world is full of armchair experts. That usually means the poor sap that just hasn’t had a chance to get a feel for their setup driving in sand hits the soft stuff, gets stuck and all the experts chime in with a world of awesome advise.

Generally the same poor sap that got stuck on the way over has had a lot more time driving in the island to get their technique right and will come back feeling super comfortable in their setup and would easily cross Inskip without any dramas time and time again.

Having said that though, there are always those that do really think their road going 4wd/AWD will just cruise straight off the bitumen and onto the barge without touching tyre pressures or assessing the situation first.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
It seems a lot of types have more money than brains  and are full of Arrogance and Ignorance or Just plain Dumb ...
And FAIL to apply the most basic  Gnats brain worth of  effort in learning whats required of driving / towing through a soft rutted sandy track before getting there.
Its NOT like its a Black art that is only known by a few Masters to be passed on to a selected few ..
The What and How Too is in your face everywhere up there and yet the "  SHEEPLE "  blindly do the same thing over and over .

Prime Example :
Recently at the Sign posted "  AIR DOWN  " point a group puled up and started airing down trucks and trailers, Along comes their mate driving and towing a mobile 4x4 & camper catalogue display, pulls up and asked by one of his groupies ..
"  You going to air down " . Reply was " I dont need too with the gear Ive got, But you all will need too "  in a smart arse condecending
 tone ..
With that,  The big noting Show pony took off out to the beach exit point with a big exhaust roar and the others followed ..
We finished airing down went to the exit point and Low and Behold two truck lengths out on the track, here is Show pony DOWN to the chassis throwing a huge sand cloud all over his BIG rig with all his lesser mates  getting stuck trying to get him out ..
 Result was Exit and Entry tracks blocked  and peoples Holidays being put on hold Till the Ignorant Arrogant Goose got clear of the track .
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:21:34 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline InnerCityBoy

• Swag User
  • Camper trailer-ing since 2014
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »
I do see the funny side. I just don’t get the clear enjoyment people seem to get at seeing others suffer expensive damage, like the guy laughing hysterically at the dude who has just had his bullbar ripped off.

I took my girlfriend to Fraser Island 15 years ago. We hired a little Suzuki thingy out of Noosa for $130 a day and drove out there, stayed at Kingfisher Island for a night and somewhere else another night. I didn’t know anything about 4WD’ing; I didn’t even let the tyres down let alone take recovery gear. I didn’t get bogged, that little Suzuki was amazing. 15 years later, that girlfriend is my wife and we tow a camper behind a Prado and take our 3 kids on our own adventures. One day I’ll take my kids to Fraser (and will almost certainly get bogged myself when I do, I’m still an off road novice).

Anyway, seeing people openly ridicule others for making mistakes when embarking on what is clearly one of their first adventures in the place I had my own first off-road adventure has clearly made me come over all preachy. Please be a person that helps the novice out, and save the laughter for around the campfire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2015 Jayco Flamingo Outback
2015 Prado GXL 2.8 D4D

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
Here in S.A we currently have the anti car on beach people pushing to ban cars from beaches as they say you shouldn't be mixing cars and people/kids on a beach.
We have a couple that aren't that big and your restricted to 10kms an hour, you can't really do much as they're  flat pretty much hard like a highway. (Some somehow still get bogged)

So my question is after seeing all of the posts on the I got bogged on idiot island, are there people or groups trying to restrict/stop/police, make more rules?
Because after seeing alot of it, it would not be surprising to hear of such things.

2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
[quote ]
like the guy laughing hysterically at the dude who has just had his bullbar ripped off .....
  Please be a person that helps the novice out

[/quote]
Thinking the guy and Bull bar, Laughing was actualy one off his group of Mates ..
Helping a Novice out :
 Just need to Temper that with their attitude .. to listen to you and or even  accept your help ..
I go with  expected  too  not asking " ATTITUDE " ...    "  NO LISTEN "   ..     You get "   NO HELP "  ..
 A lot just sit there gesturing  and expect you to do all the grunt work to get them out, because they dont want to get sweaty or dirty  .. A lot ignore advice and wont do whats needed,  then make things worse  ..
 More than a few drive of without so much as a thank you, Like its a God given that it was your only job to be there to get them out of trouble  ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »
I agree that it is not  particularly funny when  cars are damaged.

But surely if  showing videos of people bogged and subsequent recoveries that either go right or go wrong in a big way saves  a few novices from similar strife it is a good thing.

I daresay there are plenty of 4WD owners who have never experienced soft sand and may be sceptical about the benefits of reduced tyre pressures but the pictures are worth millions of words of advice.

The following users thanked this post: slave

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • What for you kicka my dog and call him farqoff.
    • Clarence Coast property maintenance
« Reply #242 on: January 13, 2018, 02:12:04 PM »
I find it disturbing that there are so many idoits out there.
I'm also amazed that they don't kill themselves or others.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:17:23 AM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #243 on: January 13, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

Anyway, seeing people openly ridicule others for making mistakes when embarking on what is clearly one of their first adventures
you'd be surprised at how many of them are not on their first outings....we have rescued heaps there over the years, the first question i ask is "what tyre pressures are you running?". Many a time the answer you get back tells you the person knows about lowering pressures but just couldn't be bothered doing it, or flatly refuses to lower tyre pressures even though you just easily drove up to where they are bogged, then easily drive away again leaving them to sort it out themself because they apparently know better....but are bogged to the door sills.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: Hairs

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »
Here in S.A we currently have the anti car on beach people pushing to ban cars from beaches as they say you shouldn't be mixing cars and people/kids on a beach.
We have a couple that aren't that big and your restricted to 10kms an hour, you can't really do much as they're  flat pretty much hard like a highway. (Some somehow still get bogged)

So my question is after seeing all of the posts on the I got bogged on idiot island, are there people or groups trying to restrict/stop/police, make more rules?
Because after seeing alot of it, it would not be surprising to hear of such things.

It's not here yet but its coming.
The main things stopping it are:

1. The Rainbow Beach community is built on being the access to Fraser Island and the town could not survive in any meaningful way without the income the visitors provide.

2. Teewah Beach is a gazetted Road. There are prvately owned properties at Teewah and south of First cutting which rely on
access from the beach.

In saying that though I can see pressure starting to build from the environmental and safety points about restricting access to a degree. Whether this restriction is by way of (hefty) fee increases, an annual restriction of numbers I do not know.

THe unfortunate thing is for every idiot you see in a video there are 10,20 or even 100 who get up or down the beach with no fuss or damage.

I went up to Rainbow with some friends last Sunday, I haven't been up for a couple of years as a tourist, merely to use the beach as a short cut from Maryborough or Rainbow home during the week when its basically empty, and I was pleasantly surprised at the numbers of people in comparrison to the news reports.

There were a few stupid acts at the deep hole in the lagoon on the way out to Rainbow Point but really most people were pretty sensible. What was interesting was the hype that had been built up around saw a fairly large crowd of people hanging around waiting for things to happen, which generally didn't happen all that often.

From a personal point of view, and I have made my thoughts on what needs to happen in my Noosa North Shore thread I don't care if they shut the beach down, because I will maintain access, but that is a very narrow and negative viewpoint to have. I want my kids to be able to enjoy it as I did when I was young and a teenager spending weeks / a month up there camping at a time.

I think some very simple steps could be untertaken to educate and decrease the issues currently facing inskip, but the rangers on the ground don't seem to have any power to do so. By simple things I mean education about tyre pressure and beach driving, with emphasis on getting on and off the beach, regular maintenance of the cuttings and perhaps a more formalised access track onto Inskip.

As for the hole at Rainbow, they come and go, but this is the first one I have seen right at the bottom of one of the large dunes. Whilst NPWS may argue to let nature take its course some underpinning of that hole would go along way to stabilising that dune and protecting it. But there are people much better qualified than me to make that decision.

Cheers Nomad  :cheers:

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2018, 09:32:51 PM »

part of Teewah Beach was closed off to vehicles several years ago, it's no big deal as this gives a vehicle free zone between i think it's track one and track 3 beach entry points these days (i think they removed track 2 entry?), you can drive South from track 1 or North from track 3, just can't drive the beach between there which is a relatively small area really. There was a push a while back to stop vehicle access around Hook Point at Fraser Island, they were using migratory birds as the reason for doing so, but it doesn't appear to have gone any further (though maybe there are people still pushing for it?). It'll sadly take a death at Inskip before anything changes there.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2018, 08:22:16 AM »
Quote from: 03GV
... are there people or groups trying to restrict/stop/police, make more rules?
I think we all see people doing that in everyday life.

I think some people must have had the most Shit boring childhoods themselves, so they don't want anyone else doing it.
-
Click to enlarge

Wiring by Evo

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »
part of Teewah Beach was closed off to vehicles several years ago, it's no big deal as this gives a vehicle free zone between i think it's track one and track 3 beach entry points these days (i think they removed track 2 entry?), you can drive South from track 1 or North from track 3, just can't drive the beach between there which is a relatively small area really. There was a push a while back to stop vehicle access around Hook Point at Fraser Island, they were using migratory birds as the reason for doing so

Yep track two used to be the best one. It had the stream running through it. Its now the unused carpark in the middle of nowhere. The frying pan was closed off at Noosa end as well for the migratory birds....apparently they fly over from Russia or somewhere like that.

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »
I think we all see people doing that in everyday life.

I think some people must have had the most Shit boring childhoods themselves, so they don't want anyone else doing it.

You have to admit, there are plenty among us who don't help our cause. One of our favourite things to do is go down to our local 4WD access beach with a fridge full of drinks and lunch, set up the awnings and hang out on the beach all day. But when I go down there and I see tracks all over the back dunes in the vegetated areas, and dickheads tearing down the beach doing 80 with a bunch of people in the back of the ute I can't help thinking to myself they're doing their best to bring us all closer to the day when the 4WD access gets shut down.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • What for you kicka my dog and call him farqoff.
    • Clarence Coast property maintenance
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2018, 10:47:13 AM »
You have to admit, there are plenty among us who don't help our cause. One of our favourite things to do is go down to our local 4WD access beach with a fridge full of drinks and lunch, set up the awnings and hang out on the beach all day. But when I go down there and I see tracks all over the back dunes in the vegetated areas, and dickheads tearing down the beach doing 80 with a bunch of people in the back of the ute I can't help thinking to myself they're doing their best to bring us all closer to the day when the 4WD access gets shut down.
Yep.
See it happening around here.
Beach access closed, the hoons ripping up dunes & vegetation

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)