Author Topic: Ride on Lawn mowers  (Read 23004 times)

Offline Bobsan

• Tent User
Re: Ride on Lawn mowers
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »
Brumbypt  I worked for a mower Manufacturer building Ride on Mowers for 11 years  A fabricated deck multi spindle is not easy,   Your biggest hurdle is to get the grass to throw out the shute without fouling or blocking up, copy some ones design expecially with 3 rotors and note the type of blade they use as not all blades are equal when trying to move grass, the mower contractors on this forum can advise on blades.
Mits Challenger.
Bushranger Rear fold  Camper

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 07:30:20 PM »
I was just going to copy the deck thats on it, but using thicker steel, but coppying the design and layout of everything.

Peter,
iPad with IOS 7.0.3 using Tapatalk HD
1993 80 series landcruiser

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »
Holy crap, i just got a stiffy.  ;D

Jeez you're easily satisfied!  >:D

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
Jeepers slow down the little blue tablets  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Beatle

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I think the toe-in is to make them track straighter and not wander so easily offline over uneven ground. 
***The words typed in my messages do not necessarily reflect the personally held views of the author***

Beatle
'97 80 series Landcruiser

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 07:18:32 PM »
I always wondered why it has toe in, same with the old fergi tractor.

Peter,
iPad with IOS 7.0.4 using Tapatalk HD

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 07:28:12 PM »
Toe in is for the block treads to bite on the tight turns . Little front wheels & huge rear surface area you do the math  :cheers:
 l managed to get 12 months out of the 15X6X6  front bags , but only just  :cheers:

Offline golfster

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Always fold Pocket K's
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 11:38:13 PM »
Make sure you check out the FERRIS zero turn mowers, I'm in the industry and would have to say it's the best built mower i have seen in the range.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 08:59:55 AM »
The bil bought a flash looking Chinese ride-on with rear catcher off fleabay to mow his vacant block next door and his shack block up the Murray and spent more time tinkering with it than mowing. Belt driven thing and among other probs kept chewing belts until he found out the thing needed special 'power' belts while it was supplied with standard belts ( a bit like Chinese campers and their wheel bearings) Anyway he lost interest in the bloody thing and I've suggested he flog it and buy a hydrostatic Husqvarna with 5 yr domestic warranty (if you use their oil apparently) after getting some good lowdown here-
http://www.powerequipmentdiscounters.com.au/index.php?main_page=articlePage&artno=100
Interestingly enough as I was looking on fleabay under ride-ons it seems Husky often shares parts with John Deere and MTD so that probably tells you something important. 
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »
After owning a Husqvarna hydrostatic lawn tractor for five years, I wouldn't buy another one. My BIL and two of my nephews also have similar Huskies. Although there is nothing wrong with the Husky, I reckon John Deere and Toro leave them for dead.

The husky is just an average mower.  The second hand parts are outrageous. The genuine oil, fuel and two air filters from Husky cost more than my oil, fuel and air filter off the Cruza from Toyota.
I now own a Toro, not sure what my BIL and nephews will buy next but they have all indicated that it won't be a Husqvarna.

Each to their own.

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »
thats why I paid more for a John deere. living in the country I cant just pop in and buy parts every 5 mins. I want to be able to turn the key and mow the lawn..

although I am sick of sitting on it, go to start it and bugger, key is in the house.

its cut my mowing time right down. So now I have cleared more so I can mow more.

Peter,
iPad with IOS 7.0.4 using Tapatalk HD

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2014, 12:28:34 AM »
OK I haven't had the need for a ride-on mower so don't know much about them and so far the bils experience is not encouraging. Commenters here have passed on their experiences with various equipment but it might be useful to pin down mower cut to power ratio, drive type and for what sort of task. In that regard that PED article I linked to starts out with an obvious criteria-

'1. What size block will you be mowing?

As a general rule of thumb, the larger the block you are mowing, the larger the ride on mower you will need. Larger ride on mowers with a a larger size cutting deck and faster ground speed will reduce your mowing time.  As a rough guide we recommend a ride on mower with a cutting deck size of between 30" and 42" for 1, 2 and 3 acre blocks.  We recommend a larger ride on mower with a cutting deck size of least 42" and above for acreage blocks larger than 3 acres.'

Now in the bils case he has one block which slopes particularly at one end but the shack block is flat and neither present rocks or stumps so presumably the twin bar blades ( are twin blades common?) should be OK re a disc and retractable blades. Must measure the cut size but it sports an 18HP Briggs and Stratton with belt drives to cutters and transmission. Now belt drives can be quite robust and offer shock protection to shafts and bearings which can prevent bent shafts, broken shaft keys and the like in a potential shock situation like a mower.

Now recall from that sizing article he probably only needs a 30" cut but I noticed 2 new Husky mowers for sale both with 19.5HP motors and the pics look similar but one has 30" cut and the other a 38" cut. Ipso facto you'd expect the 30" model to be a better buy for intermittent block mows up the river when the grass might be up 300mm or so. Fine having bigger cut for the same power if you're cutting back regularly like home, but the 30" 19.5HP seems a better bet for his particular circumstances. Also does your mower have hydrostatic drive or belt drive re performance. I ask because the bil and others might need to compare some apples with apples here and not just brand names. Also, despite the brand some may have the wrong size mower for the job as clearly there are a few important criteria to consider here.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.
The following users thanked this post: GregP

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 06:36:56 AM »

Now in the bils case he has one block which slopes particularly at one end but the shack block is flat and neither present rocks or stumps so presumably the twin bar blades ( are twin blades common?) should be OK re a disc and retractable blades. Must measure the cut size but it sports an 18HP Briggs and Stratton with belt drives to cutters and transmission. Now belt drives can be quite robust and offer shock protection to shafts and bearings which can prevent bent shafts, broken shaft keys and the like in a potential shock situation like a mower.

Now recall from that sizing article he probably only needs a 30" cut but I noticed 2 new Husky mowers for sale both with 19.5HP motors and the pics look similar but one has 30" cut and the other a 38" cut. Ipso facto you'd expect the 30" model to be a better buy for intermittent block mows up the river when the grass might be up 300mm or so. Fine having bigger cut for the same power if you're cutting back regularly like home, but the 30" 19.5HP seems a better bet for his particular circumstances. Also does your mower have hydrostatic drive or belt drive re performance. I ask because the bil and others might need to compare some apples with apples here and not just brand names. Also, despite the brand some may have the wrong size mower for the job as clearly there are a few important criteria to consider here.

Most hydrostatic driver lawn tractors are belt driven hydrostatics. Your BILs case is not unusual.
Husky's model number usually tells you about their machine. LTH2142 means lawn tractor, 21hp 42 deck.
Up here the grass grows faily quickly and thickly so you need the HP. I reckon I mow my lawn approx 48 times per year. In the wet season it needs to be mowed every 5-6 days.

I reckon the 30" mowers are good for 1/2 acre blocks and a 42 for 1-2 acres and a 50-60" cut for 2-4 acres and a 72" cut for above that.
My next door neighbour has a 2009 or 2010 husky with 15hp and 38 " deck. He traded in his old Cox a few years ago and really regrets buying the Husky. His mower really struggles with the thick grass. He has the same size block as I do but it takes him nearly twice as long to mow his because he has to slow down his mowing speed. His lawn has never looked as nice as mine. Not enough horses.

In you BILs case I reckon 19.5 HP with the 30" cut might suit him. So long as he has plenty of HP (20 or more) than maybe up to a 42" cut.

My family members own blocks between 1.25-1.75 acres.
These are our machines:
Husky. 2006  17hp. Koehler  42" deck 2 blades hydro/drive
Husky. 2007  21hp. Briggs/S 42" deck 2 blades hydro/drive. (now have a Toro 30hp 50" dk zero turn)
Husky. 2010. 21hp.  Koehler 42" deck 2 blades hydro/drive
Husky. 2011. 21hp. 42" fabricated deck 3 blades hydro/drive

I cut my lawn yesterday afternoon. Here is a pick of the front taken this morning(still covered in dew)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:49:51 AM by muzza01 »

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »

I cut my lawn yesterday afternoon. Here is a pick of the front taken this morning(still covered in dew)

Cheeky buggers in Cairns, always showing off their green grass.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:14 PM »
"In you BILs case I reckon 19.5 HP with the 30" cut might suit him."

I'm coming round to that point of view muzza after checking it over this arvo and also a bit or net research, not least this good overview of trans types-
 http://todaysmower.com/2011/what-you-need-to-know-transmission-types/
Now his mower sports an 18.5HP Briggs Professional series engine with twin blade 40" cut and with the engine belt drive offset to one side transmission(LHS) that allows a grass shute to exit into a large catcher centrally at the rear, unlike hydraulic Tufftorq transmissions and the like. That's all very fine and I think it would work OK on that nice flat green grass you regularly mow but even with maybe 3/4acre total with his 2 blocks he's got a very tough intermittent mow problem in South Oz. Simply put in our climate it's feast or famine for our grass and let it shoot up in spring the mower won't handle it, both for slope on one block and the sheer height of grass at the shack at times. Essentially he's got a relatively small area but a very tough ask.

In that regard the Greenfield mower site warns Oz users often have different needs to so many US users and they recommend single cut 30" with reasonable HP for 'tough' grass conditions and naturally hydrostatic trans is a good choice for drive belt longevity. It's not all about the area you're mowing as he's finding with a walk behind Toro self propelled and a similar old Deutscher slasher that are up to the job but not his knees unfortunately. It's about the right balance of HP, cut and transmission for the job and you'd like to be able to take a few for a test drive in order to strike that balance but alas you pays yer money and yer take yer chances.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 11:08:27 PM »
Meant to say my hunch is this one or a similar spec model for his particular needs-
http://www.powerequipmentdiscounters.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42_43&products_id=319
but we'll see how the China Inc one goes with proper power belts all round and the once over with the various adjustments

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »
My mower is needing a service, I only have Briggs n stratton oil and dont have John deere oil.

Are the motors in the 2013 D120s a John deere  motor or Briggs n Stratton?

Peter,
iPad with IOS 7.1 using Tapatalk HD

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »
As long as the weights are the same they wont know,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »
yeah thats similar to what I was thinking.

thanks.

Peter,

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2014, 07:15:16 AM »
I like my old Cox Stockman. It just eats up the thick stuff!

I made a video a long time ago when I was bored years ago when we lived in Warwick.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd6G0ipSJIQ
Don't complain! It could be worse, you could be six foot under or a brick of ashes!!
Our camper Barry - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31963.0

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2014, 07:40:55 AM »
Gezzzzz l must be bored l just watched the Vid of somebody mowing the lawn  .  :'( :cheers:

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 09:46:51 AM »
Gezzzzz l must be bored l just watched the Vid of somebody mowing the lawn  .  :'( :cheers:

You should go and read the bored thread
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2014, 10:01:39 AM »
yeah I just watched it too, once ya start watching it sucks you in and you cant stop, you cant turn it off, you have to keep watching..

why do you wear a hat if you are going to smoke, so lung cancer is ok, but skin cancer is too serious?
I can under stand the drink, that would just take away the pain on your body of your rough ground using that mower.

Peter,

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2014, 10:15:06 AM »
yeah I just watched it too, once ya start watching it sucks you in and you cant stop, you cant turn it off, you have to keep watching..

why do you wear a hat if you are going to smoke, so lung cancer is ok, but skin cancer is too serious?
I can under stand the drink, that would just take away the pain on your body of your rough ground using that mower.

Peter,

I don't smoke anymore and haven't for near 4 years now.  It's a terrible habit.  It was all I had in the house at the time I think.

I made the vid a long time ago.  I was pulled off the road when the old man had heart issues to run the fleet and it was normally full noise all day and half the night and every now and then it got really quiet, that's kinda how this video came about. I was bored!
Don't complain! It could be worse, you could be six foot under or a brick of ashes!!
Our camper Barry - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31963.0

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
its actually pretty good, well done.

Peter,