Author Topic: Are elastic sided boots secure?  (Read 13704 times)

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Are elastic sided boots secure?
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
The only time I wear boots is at work, only wear shoes if I have too, the rest of the time is bare foot.

Interesting Duggie, I have been in the OHS game for over 15 years (construction, resources etc) and have never seen a workers comp injury that was proven to be caused by wearing elastic sided boots. In actual fact it has basically been the same amount with lace ups as well. With my conspiracy hat on I reckon it has got a lot to do with what style boots make the manufacturers the most profit  :angel:. I also recall a podiatrist years ago telling me that lace ups that immobilise the ankle area actually transfer joint stress further up the leg as the ankle is designed to have lateral movement (within reason of course) 

On saying that though I have only personally worn lace ups for at least the last 10 years or so and don't reckon I could go back to elastic sided.

Rod 

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 08:02:33 PM »
I only use elastic sided boots, I have a problem doing up my laces, must be useless. ;D

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »
Cant go past the Steel Blue lace ups with zipper side, except the $200 price tag (apparently, but i dont pay for 'em)
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »
Interesting Duggie, I have been in the OHS game for over 15 years (construction, resources etc) and have never seen a workers comp injury that was proven to be caused by wearing elastic sided boots.

Rod

Hi Rod,
The Mining industry in general has a high percentage LTI frequency rate. Soft/Elastic side work boots were highlighted several year ago as possible cause to ankle injuries. Due to the nature of the work environment, Eg: walking/working on uneven ground , rocks/spillage on ground, bad lighting due to night shifts and the underground environment, water puddles and the list goes on . It was decided that the industry can reduce ankle related incidents by banning the wearing of the soft,elastic side work boot. from the numbers that I have seen since this has came in, there has been a huge reduction in ankle related injuries.

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »
Only use pull on boots now, but only because I can't find gum boots in Lace up,  but have always used lace ups in previous jobs
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 07:48:52 AM »
Hi Rod,
The Mining industry in general has a high percentage LTI frequency rate. Soft/Elastic side work boots were highlighted several year ago as possible cause to ankle injuries. Due to the nature of the work environment, Eg: walking/working on uneven ground , rocks/spillage on ground, bad lighting due to night shifts and the underground environment, water puddles and the list goes on . It was decided that the industry can reduce ankle related incidents by banning the wearing of the soft,elastic side work boot. from the numbers that I have seen since this has came in, there has been a huge reduction in ankle related injuries.

cheers duggie

G'Day Duggie, Thanks for that. On re-reading I never properly worded my attempted point which was that it is the work environment (as you expanded on) that causes the ankle injuries etc and not the boots type. Had a guy twist his ankle on site recently but not because of boots (was wearing lace ups) but because he slipped while exiting a machine. It will be interesting to see if there are any long term worker strain effects based on what the podiatrist told me but only time will tell.

Regards Rod   

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 08:39:34 AM »
I wear these at work, but now they are buying Chinese boots. Taipan stopped making the elastic side.
I work with fuji.  We used to use elastic sided which destroyed socks.  By the end of the day they were bunched down at your toes.  Useless to run in, like running in thongs, only good in a straight line. 

Have used taipans for about 10 years without issue.

No have the "new" lace and zip up like the magnums D4D posted, except the zip is useless, fully undone it doesn't give enough room to get your foot out and still needs to be untied.
Out of work I wear runners, and have the laces loose enough I don't have to undo them
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »
Thanks for all the input, it has been really helpful.
The general concensus seemed to be lace up offers better support for hiking etc than elastic sided boots, although a set of both could be beneficial.
I dropped into Tradey's at Browns Plains (Qld) yesterday and picked up a pair of Blundstone 173's that are comfortable from the first step, much unlike army GP's from years ago. They also have a two year warranty, better than most cars.
Cheers and thanks
Ian

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 12:12:22 PM »
I've had a couple of different types of work boots in the past, elastic sided Blundstones, Steel Blue lace ups.

When I brought a pair of Rossi Endura Claret elastic sided boots they were the most comfy I'd had (much better fit for me compared to the Blundstones anyway). As someone mentioned I found they tend to wear a hole in the heel of the socks more than lace ups, however the Dunlop Volleys I brought after them wore a hole in the heel of the shoe instead lol.

I had to run / walk close to 15km in them (Rossis) once to go pick my car up (which was being repaired and my bike tyre got a puncture in it 2km into the trip so I dumped the bike in the bush) to go get the kids from school. The shoes weren't ideal but the feet didn't end up in blisters and nothing like that considering I wasn't used to doing so much walking / running at once. They were well worn in by that stage too.

I almost went for the old faithful (slip on Rossi) again this time around, the Hi Tec Altitude lace ups fit nicely and felt comfy but I couldn't bring myself to pay $250 at a local store as they didn't look as durable as some others. The Rossi Raptor hiking style lace up boots were on sale (clearance I reckon). So I ended up going with those and I"m very happy with the choice so far.

I can still see myself buying a pair of elastic sided ones as a 2nd pair down the track though.
I am finding with hook rings near the top rather than d rings all the way up the new boots aren't that hard to get out of compared to sneakers / skate shoes or whatever.

So I agree with the general consensus, one of each is probably a good thing :)
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
Interesting Duggie, I have been in the OHS game for over 15 years (construction, resources etc) and have never seen a workers comp injury that was proven to be caused by wearing elastic sided boots. In actual fact it has basically been the same amount with lace ups as well. With my conspiracy hat on I reckon it has got a lot to do with what style boots make the manufacturers the most profit  :angel:. I also recall a podiatrist years ago telling me that lace ups that immobilise the ankle area actually transfer joint stress further up the leg as the ankle is designed to have lateral movement (within reason of course) 

On saying that though I have only personally worn lace ups for at least the last 10 years or so and don't reckon I could go back to elastic sided.

OHS Game myself and even laceups you get rolled ankles cause a laceup only works if you do it up properly if you leave it loose so you can slip the boot off and on you may as well stick with the elastic sides

I use mack laceup boots at work with the composite toe and found them so confortable i bought a pair without the toe cap for camping

Rod
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
Are elastic sided boots secure?
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
Redback elastic sided fan here.. Love em, soo comfy..

They are about 5 years old and i wear them almost every day...

Tapa Tapa talker
1993 80 series landcruiser

Offline MDSimpson

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 Prado
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 07:24:02 PM »
I wear Steel Blue elastic sided steel cap boots every day for work. But when I go to a minesite, most of them have WHS regs that state lace ups only. So I have a pair of SteelBlue laces ups when needed.

Love my Steel Blues..
2007 Jayco Flamingo Outback follows the 2008 D4D Prado. Lets get out there...

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 07:46:59 PM »
I work with fuji.  We used to use elastic sided which destroyed socks.  By the end of the day they were bunched down at your toes.  Useless to run in, like running in thongs, only good in a straight line. 

Why are you running. Wouldn't you just say "freezer dirtbag" ;D