Author Topic: Drink Driving  (Read 20272 times)

nbd73

Re: Drink Driving
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »
P plater E plater any driver it should be any alcohol in the system and min 3 months  (if not more just get them out of society )  imprisonment and loss of licence for 3 years ( I'm not against drinking alcohol just against combining it with driving folks know what's right and know what's wrong., no excuses)
It's good enough overseas for stif penalties  in a few European countries its good enough here.
Also I'm a big believer in compulsory third party insurance being brought in for motorist... In WA it's only compulsory as part of vehicle licence for injury not property damage.
E plates should Never be given to those convicted of drink driveing... I'm sorry but drink drivers only rate slightly higher than cockroaches.. It's one subject that gets my blood boiling. John

John
Attitudes like this sent starving people to this country for stealing a loaf of bread.
Agreed stealing bread does not directly place another life in jeopardy, but the point being made here is one punishment fits all crime. Reflect on your own life, find a time when a higher authority disagreed with your actions, and ask yourself whether you deserved worse...

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »

I will admit I have done it once many years ago. Got home safely but never, ever again.

At the end of the day if you drink ....then dont drive.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 02:03:05 PM »
Certainly don't condone drink driving, but th bloke who gets done for .053 should't be tarred with the same brush as the high range repeat offender.

Th punishment needs to fit the crime. I understand the risk and danger to lives and as such they should be highly penalised. Perhaps raise the fines and have mandatory community sentences.

As for the repeat offender..........
Has anyone does the maths as to how much it costs to hold an inmate for a year?
I know how cheap a bullet is...........

Fickle position for the magistrates unfortunately.
Bet they wouldnt have a tough time deciding if their daughter was hit by drunk driver......

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 02:27:57 PM »
This statement is a total contradiction. Your previous post said all cases should be treated the same. This post you say not at all, but you are still a drunk driver regardless of the level you blow. What does this then mean? Applied to my comment, you are still a speeder whether you do 10 or 50 over the limit. Different penalty, but branded the same? Please explain your point. Don't get me wrong, I am not condoning DD in any way, but merely curious to your attitude. Despite what you may think, there is a difference between the person who misjudged and the filth that don't care. Both are over the limit, but only one feels true remorse and shame for their actions.

Will try to clarify what I am trying to say. 

The penalties for the Drink Driving offences need to be different, a higher minimum penalty for High Range with lesser penalties for Low Range. 

For the people that drink drive they are a drunk driver regardless if they go High Range or Low Range.  The people are the same, the penalty is different.  If they feel remorse for what they did?  Some do, some will never get it. 

I think where we do differ is "Despite what you may think, there is a difference between the person who misjudged and the filth that don't care. Both are over the limit, but only one feels true remorse and shame for their actions."    I can see your point where the is a difference in the intention of the driver at the time.  My attitude is if you intend to drive, don't drink.  Don't try to make out you didn't think you were over the limit. 

You have indicated you got drunk and they drove and have done jail time as a result.  You also so you have learnt from it and changed you ways, I tip my hat to you.  Does that really make you any different to someone that repeatedly has "one or two drinks too many" and continues to drive home over the legal limit. 

Drink Driving is an offence, therefore it is a Crime.  Whether that makes you a criminal or not, doesn't matter.  What does matter is if you change your ways or continue to commit the crime. 

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 02:33:18 PM »
This is how you FIX the problem
Small | Large

WARNING AO AND GRAPHIC

He apparently was a drink drive repeat offender
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:36:56 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 02:51:33 PM »
I have lost my license for 6 months for having 4 beers at a pub over a space of 2 hours those days there were no mobile phones stumps where called at the pub i was not sure if i was over or under so I decided to leave the car on the street and got the bar maid to call a taxi. Waiting for a taxi it started to rain so my girlfriend and myself jumped in my car for shelter, the mistake I made was instead of listening to my girlfriend complain about how long the taxi is taking I decided to turn on the radio, to do so the keys needed to be in the ignition. Sure enough the cops spotted us in the car I explained we were waiting for a taxi they made me blow in the bag and read .081, whilst i was being hand cuffed, yes I got a little hot headed after the cops did not care about my girlfriend having to wait on her own for a taxi, they just needed to get me back to the cop shop ASAP for a proper reading. Fortunately the taxi rolled up the cops asked the driver if he was called and under what name, the driver gave them my name. I still dont know why they bothered asking as it still cost me my license and about $1000 first offence.

So how do I fit into this discussion ??? 
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »
Have a mate who used to be a copper and he was so traumatized from the death of five kids he knew in a drink drive accident that he is now working in aquaculture in sth tassie. His belief matches mine in that a 0 or 0.02 should be the limit. The amount of people he booked for having one glass of wine with tea and then driving was amazing. Now I am not saying everyone is the same but some people with any alcohol are a danger whilst some may be okay to say 0.08 bit how do you disseminate the two? Simple 0.00 is the answer, if you have a few the night before then think twice about driving the next morning. It's time a few took responsibility for there actions and not just say oh I thought I would have been right.

And to those repeat offenders, enjoy watching your car (or bosses) get crushed on the side of the road :police:

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »
Honestly, Put Lost in front of a camera! put it on TV and then make sure Fuji is the one who arrests anyone over the limit! Its CARP!
I was at the Hume Weir on new years eve, There was a group to the right drinking and carrying on. Thats fine, there was only one car and one driver who was well and truly sober.
On the left was another group of P'platers. They were all smashed, two cars and 5 or 6 people. Then they figured that  it was OK to hoon around the reserve drunk because it wasn't a ROAD.
FFS. Ironically as soon as we turned our patrols and lights on the group they moved. What is it with these people. I don't give a dam if its new years or your birthday. Putting other peoples lives in danger because your a Kn*b is not OK and you should be thrown in Jail.

Cheers
Evo

I believe the car park at Hume Weir is a public area so therefore it becomes a road so therefore it is illegal to drink and drive there.  :cheers:
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »
I think you will find the answer in our justice system.  Many years ago magistrates started getting soft on drink drivers. (Well, soft on every criminal) In Queensland it was mandatory for repeat drink drivers (basically 3 high readings in 5 years) to get jail. That changed and it is now rare for someone to get jail.  I have seen many people who are habitual high end drink drivers go to court, plead guilty, their solicitor tells the court how sorry they are, valued member of the community, etc etc, and the magistrate sentences them to jail, but immediately suspends the time.  No deterrent at all.
Having been a cop for over 30 years, (now retired) investigated countless fatal collisions, charged hundreds of drink drivers, there is a huge difference between people who are accidently just over the limit and others who are way over and deliberately drove knowing they were way over.
There are different penalties for the different readings and so it should be.  We all are not perfect and we all make mistakes. Hopefully our mistakes do not cause harm to anyone else.
And believe me, there are more dangers out there then drink drivers.  I know! 
And be careful of the statistics about the number of crashes where alcohol is a contributing factor. If you saw how the stats are gathered, you would know what I mean.
How about we make people more accountable for their actions?  Bring back penalties that should be a deterrent to all of us.  That is for all offences.
Sorry to carry on, but I do speak from experience.  And I could say a lot more.
Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Kalebjarrod

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »
You would all be surprised at how often it happens

I know one guy that has driven home everyday of his working life (same company 36 years) with 6 + stubbies under his belt

One eye shut so he can't see double

Called the police , they might get around to it one day
HILUX D4D + LIFESTYLE WALKTHROUGH

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
I'm not an angel by any means.
However I'am an alcoholic.
I haven't had a drink in 10 years or more.
But before that I drove drunk almost as often as I drove sober.
4 driving drunk convictions ( 3 of which were also driving without a lisence convictions) , 2 crashed cars and thousands of dollars in fines did NOT even slow me down.
I was a drunk,  I knew exactly what I was doing I just didn't care.
Am I proud of it?
Not at all.
But I do not make excuses either.
It's just the way I was back then and nothing can change it now.
I'am so glad I never injured or "heaven forbid" killed someone.
And I have absolutly NO sympathy for drunk drivers.
Bill

"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 06:28:03 PM »
I believe the car park at Hume Weir is a public area so therefore it becomes a road so therefore it is illegal to drink and drive there.  :cheers:

Everyone is missing the point here.
Drink Driving - there is no such offence.
The offence is being over .05.
Some can drink 10 pots no worries, but they are over .05
.05 can be committed anywhere, does not have to be on a "highway" as defined. - can be committed on private property.
You only have to be 'in control' to commit the offense.
If that is in your driveway changing a wheel, the offense is complete.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2013, 06:29:20 PM »
Its not taken seriously by the legislators.  First offence should be 5 yrs cancellation.  Second is 10yrs.  Third is for life.

No special licences.  If you have a few spare hours grab a book and go to court and watch the traffic mentions.  One after the other getting sweet diddly squat and special licences handed out. 
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »
Too many loopholes, .05 in Vic is easy to get off, you just have to know how.
Just ask Sir Henry Botle, he was guided by experts.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 06:40:07 PM »
On the water, i can be at anchor, nightlight on and even rafted up to another boat, but the skipper or skippers still has to be under .05.
So only 2 drinkie poo's for me when we're boating.

However, when we are camping, i just get fall down on ya face, poop ya pants in a chair and upchuck during the night drunk.

As for the guy in the film clip, i reckon the marks will buff out.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Quote from: Bill
4 driving drunk convictions ( 3 of which were also driving without a lisence convictions) , 2 crashed cars and thousands of dollars in fines did NOT even slow me down.
Am I proud of it?
Not at all.
Bill
  :cup: for admitting your issue, and dry for 10 yrs, I'd say you learnt.

Bloke back home was exactly the same, but would never admit he had problems... even after jail terms for DUI more than once... He was suspended from driving for that long it didnt matter, he wasnt going to live that long.. he was only in his 30's...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »
Am I proud of it?
Not at all.
Bill

This is a big admission by and insight from the other side so to speak. I take my hat off to you. ;)

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
Bring back Prohabition!!!

Just kiddin!!!! Really!!!!! Just kidding!! ;D ;D ;D
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »
Bring back Prohabition!!!

Just kiddin!!!! Really!!!!! Just kidding!! ;D ;D ;D

I'll give you Prohabition, with a baseball bat to the cods! :cheers:  ;D

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 08:08:04 PM »
Bit of a rant.
What is it in this day and age that people don't get the message about drink driving. Have people not heard how being really pist affects your reactions and makes you a ****ing danger to everyone else?

I don't mean people who are .04999999999999999999 (rounded up to nearest whole #)but people who are smashed - 0.1+ and north of 0.2 etc.. I mean thats not just a couple of beers at a BBQ..

What does it take to get through to these people? This year alone theres been some horror stories of pissed women picking up kids at school, and their defence is **** like "they were stressed or under pressure".. FFS - that defence = FAIL 100% FAIL..

Things like from todays paper:
Having been in RFS and involved in scraping up a bodies that were killed it isnt something that you forget in a hurry. It isnt fun or make these people awesome, its ****ed. I still remember one where a kid they think suicided by burying the loud pedal into the tar down the road, and not taking the uphill bend and going airborne into few dozen coral trees (Note: huge trees full of thorns). The car was actually obliterated then the crew had to climb down to the wreckage and do their bit.. took hours to get there. There was only 1 road in and out of town, and it was blocked for 1/2 the day.. Then there was the family that was left behind.

What can the Gov do differently to get the message across? What would you do? Is it a lost cause?

Introduce minimum disqualification period of 12 months for any DUI offence, and no work licences. In Queensland if you blow 0.15 or over which is the high range offence, you get (drum roll) 6 months disqualification...

You can get a work licence for anything up to 0.15 What kind of message does that send? Any the politicians and Magistrates wonder why no one takes drink driving seriously!

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »
Slightly off topic but my sister in law died last week from smoking related cancer.....she was bed ridden for the last couple of weeks at home and it amazed me how many of her friends and family smoked in the same room as her as they told her how unfair it is that she is dieing so young..... the idiots just don't get it and then they get cranky when you tell them to piss off outside with there cigarettes. ....it is just ignorance and the same mentality as drink drivers and unlicensed drivers
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »

Having been in RFS and involved in scraping up a bodies that were killed it isnt something that you forget in a hurry. It isnt fun or make these people awesome, its ****ed. I still remember one where a kid they think suicided by burying the loud pedal into the tar down the road, and not taking the uphill bend and going airborne into few dozen coral trees (Note: huge trees full of thorns). The car was actually obliterated then the crew had to climb down to the wreckage and do their bit.. took hours to get there. There was only 1 road in and out of town, and it was blocked for 1/2 the day.. Then there was the family that was left behind.

What can the Gov do differently to get the message across? What would you do? Is it a lost cause?

Lost,
Sorry you went through this (and those that do it day in day out). I can't even get a very rough idea of what it would be like to do the sort of job you did. My brother did it for a few years with the RTA investigating truck accidents. Definitely a changed man because of it.

What to do about it? Wouldn't it be nice to have the answer! Lost cause? I think so, but I really hope not. They do feel bullet proof :-(
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline chappo555

• Swag User
Drink Driving
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »
I think you will find the answer in our justice system.  Many years ago magistrates started getting soft on drink drivers. (Well, soft on every criminal) In Queensland it was mandatory for repeat drink drivers (basically 3 high readings in 5 years) to get jail. That changed and it is now rare for someone to get jail.  I have seen many people who are habitual high end drink drivers go to court, plead guilty, their solicitor tells the court how sorry they are, valued member of the community, etc etc, and the magistrate sentences them to jail, but immediately suspends the time.  No deterrent at all.
Having been a cop for over 30 years, (now retired) investigated countless fatal collisions, charged hundreds of drink drivers, there is a huge difference between people who are accidently just over the limit and others who are way over and deliberately drove knowing they were way over.
There are different penalties for the different readings and so it should be.  We all are not perfect and we all make mistakes. Hopefully our mistakes do not cause harm to anyone else.
And believe me, there are more dangers out there then drink drivers.  I know! 
And be careful of the statistics about the number of crashes where alcohol is a contributing factor. If you saw how the stats are gathered, you would know what I mean.
How about we make people more accountable for their actions?  Bring back penalties that should be a deterrent to all of us.  That is for all offences.
Sorry to carry on, but I do speak from experience.  And I could say a lot more.
Kevin
Horse poo mate. Alcohol crash stats require a crash and an alcohol/drug reading. That can be through arrest and breath analysis or post mortem exam. Hardly making it up.

Offline chappo555

• Swag User
Drink Driving
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 10:10:35 PM »
Everyone is missing the point here.
Drink Driving - there is no such offence.
The offence is being over .05.
Some can drink 10 pots no worries, but they are over .05
.05 can be committed anywhere, does not have to be on a "highway" as defined. - can be committed on private property.
You only have to be 'in control' to commit the offense.
If that is in your driveway changing a wheel, the offense is complete.
Not the case in NSW. A driveway changing a wheel is not a PCA offence ever.
PCA offences can only be committed on a "road" or "road related area" as defined under the ARR.
an aggregated dangerous driving charge can occur on private property but must involve the death or grevious bodily harm " a serious injury" of at least one party and driver must be DUI. DUI is a completely different offence and different proofs required compared to PCA.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »
Quote from: chappo555
Horse poo mate. Alcohol crash stats require a crash and an alcohol/drug reading. That can be through arrest and breath analysis or post mortem exam. Hardly making it up.

Is that like when they are unsure of or dont 100% know the reason behind the accident, so it goes under "speed related"
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home