Author Topic: Happy Australia Day  (Read 7207 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Happy Australia Day
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2022, 07:27:46 PM »
Was the first opportunity I had to go and see my old man and spent the last few days with him.   Was great to finally get into Qld to see him and do the couple of jobs he wanted done.
Must be a great feeling :).

I'd give anything to have a chance to have 1 more beer with my dad...  :'(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: alnjan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2022, 07:52:58 PM »
Must be a great feeling :).

I'd give anything to have a chance to have 1 more beer with my dad...  :'(

Yep, don't know how many more years we are going to have with him, at 91 he was ready to go a few ago now. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan
The following users thanked this post: Bird

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2022, 05:15:16 PM »
Found on FB (first sensible info item I’ve found there🤣)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1849413728599157&set=a.405400383000506&type=3
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2022, 07:06:39 PM »
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2022, 07:21:07 PM »
The fact of the matter is changing the date will have little or no effect on those who feel aggrieved by the current date. Forget history and you forget the lessons of the past, good or bad.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru
The following users thanked this post: alnjan, paceman, Fizzie

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2022, 09:47:22 PM »
The fact of the matter is changing the date will have little or no effect on those who feel aggrieved by the current date. Forget history and you forget the lessons of the past, good or bad.

The fact of the matter is Australia didn't become Australia until the 1st of January 1901.. Nothing to do with forgetting lessons, except maybe history lessons  ;D

https://www.naa.gov.au/learn/learning-resources/learning-resource-themes/government-and-democracy/federation/federation-australia
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2022, 07:45:09 AM »
The fact of the matter is Australia didn't become Australia until the 1st of January 1901.. Nothing to do with forgetting lessons, except maybe history lessons  ;D

https://www.naa.gov.au/learn/learning-resources/learning-resource-themes/government-and-democracy/federation/federation-australia

You misinterpret my post, my reference to history is not just about Australia Day, nor is it about James Cook, Arthur Philip, Australia becoming a federation, it’s about the fact that changing dates, changing names, knocking down statues does not change history or the lessons of the past, nor those that feel aggrieved by the past.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, ronmac, paceman, plusnq, Fizzie, DCP, bmwfreak, NZMarkb

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2022, 10:39:45 AM »
You misinterpret my post, my reference to history is not just about Australia Day, nor is it about James Cook, Arthur Philip, Australia becoming a federation, it’s about the fact that changing dates, changing names, knocking down statues does not change history or the lessons of the past, nor those that feel aggrieved by the past.

OK, I thought your post was in reference to the thread topic. But I understand what you're saying. At the risk of continuing off topic, my thoughts on that are

1. You can't change historical dates, if they are the correct date, that's just logic.

2. You can change names if they are offensive names. But that would depend of the degree of offense that could be taken. Certainly names of places with Ni...r in them should be changed as has been done. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/30/a-blot-on-the-landscape-queensland-calls-time-on-racist-place-names
As for reverting names back to their original indigenous names, I find it strange that people take offense to that happening. It doesn't bother me either way.

3. Knocking down statues doesn't change history, you're right. But I don't think statues honoring perpetrators of crimes to humanity (Hitler, King Leopold, Idi Amin etc etc) are appropriate.

4. It's not "trying to change history" it's about not whitewashing over the crimes of such people. There are places that serve to remind us of mistakes made in the past, such as the various Jewish Holocaust Centres, The Shrine of Remembrance, Numerous Anzac memorials, and even a few Aboriginal Massacre Memorials https://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/conflict/indigenous that acknowledge these "lessons of the past".