Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260596 times)

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
Hey Cubbers,

Have a Spacevan 09 offroad and was wondering if anybody has a cover for their cub and what brand it is and where did they source it from. Unfortunately we are not lucky enough to have our cub undercover and would like to source a cover, but have found none accomadate the height of the spacevans.

Cheers.

I use a car cover
Cheers Glenn

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
Grizzly,

A Tip we were given from cub was when setting up was from the inside of camper, prior to setting inside poles completely zip up the door completely, then set your inside poles up and make canvas tight or as best as. Your door zip should now open and close freely. The trailer and floor area do need to be as level as possible. If the zip never closes and the front window looks saggy with creases all over the canvas then maybe your tent needs resetting.

Hope this helps a bit.

We own a 96 Spacematic with Transcontinental Pack, and our CUB has had saggy canvas from the day we received it. No amount of fiddling has been able to resolve the issue.
To make matters worse, when erecting the fly or annex, the spreader poles are supposed to fit onto velcro attached to the campers walls, 99.999999% times after attaching to this velcro, despite trying very hard to ensure it's directly opposite the internal spreader bar, the canvas wall drops and the velcro is beneath the internal bar, thus allowing the annex bar to push on the unsupported canvas wall, thus stressing everything out of shape.
IMHO, a poorly designed feature of CUB.
I would like to see a hole drilled into the internal pole, which the annex spreader bar can be placed into, by attaching an appropiate probe instead of the crappy velcro.
Other alternatives can be a fitting bolted to the internal piping, which would allow annex spreader to lock into, again relieving the canvas walls of any stress.
Seriously considering doing one of the above myself.
Regards the floor, we have never yet managed to get our flip up floor level with the rest of the camper, I strongly suspect to do so, there'd need to be major changes to the hinge system currently utilised. We can live with the slight angle it has, though the material used for the floor is way too thin, and we have delamination occuring with the fibregalls coating on the top of the floor.

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »
Mystq, I can't see why not ............you go for it

Has any cub owers purchased end walls on their own from cub .....if so, how much were they ?
As the Cub Brumby has an extra long awning can you get a short type wall to attach to the awning to trailer bit too ?? near the pull out kitchen ?

Yes I will ring Cub and ask but I get such great help from here that I thought I'd ask first.

We purchased end walls and the fly screening when we bought our camper from CUB. The wall for the kitchen has a window which is neccessary to cook on the stove, this wall also helps heaps trying to cook in windy locations and allows the stove to work better.
To set up the wall though, requires a bit of nifty work, because somehow the cut of the canvas does not fit properly and it can't be sealed effectively all round.
Same goes for the opposite end, with the plastic stuff sown on the bottom, it cannot be sealed with the skirt that's attached to the camper, they just won't meet up effectively, thus ensuring a gap there for cold to get in and possums. This wall would be better if it too had a window. Though I can't recall, if CUB manufacture it with one.
The fly screen wall is OK.
Eventually we had a canvas works make a full wall for us to replace the fly screen in wet weather, thus enclosing the whole annex, the wall as designed with two large windows placed strategicly so you can look out easily in incliment weather from your chair.
The wall had velcro sewn on the top, (a copy of CUB's idea with the screen wall) which proved to be inadequate, as the weight of the canvas wall tore it free, we eventually took it back and had velcro loops sown onto it instead, these went around the front spreader bars taking the weight of the wall, worked excellently. The windows had fly mesh and a canvas flap with zips on both sides to secure it closed. It was also fitted with a canvas door,AND a mesh door, so you can leave it open and just close the mesh.On either side of the door,ploes are used, one the original corner pole and the other an extra new pole to which the canvas wall near the door is attached with velcro straps preventing the wall from plapping about and relieving stress from the door flaps.
All up, the wall cost just under $700  a good deal in anyone's language.
The space with a totaly enclosed annex for a 10 ft Spacematic has to be seen to be believed.

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »
In general, we've had our CUB for a few years now, used it thoroughly, despite it not being an of road version, much of our trips have been off road and despite being fitted with CUB's stone guard, I'd have to say most damage has been light and from stones thrown up by the 4BY, damage to plastic piping, wiring(despite being enclosed in tubing)the gas tap to the bayonet fitting was also damaged by stones, nearly fell off, it had come loose from the hammering it received, could probably benfit from better locating to avoid same.
It's come thru with flying colours.
Most of our gripes are minor ones which I would think the factory would pick up and take on thus making their product even better.
I've instaled 12 volt system, together with pressure pump for the sink,(the tap was hard to source but they can be had here, OZVAN Caravan RV and Camper Assessories Online, part no Cah3546-605/005990 single folding tap priced @ $86.24) didn't want the plastic one,power outlets outside for lighting in the annex area and power intake for Solar Panel, the whole runs on a deep cycle battery of 130 AHrs. The water tank had a proper shepards crook over flow fitted, thus the tank fills up fully every time.
I do get tired though, adjusting the brakes,(mechanical, cable activated) can't believe how often this is neccessary.
The tyres that came with the camper, were a disaster causing blowout on a trip, the tyre people wanted to know who fitted them, as the were ILLEGAL, fitted 3 light truck tyres 8 ply, no problems since. I've also had to fit bottoming stoppers, as the larger diameter of the tyres would occasionly cause them to hit the top underside of the mudguards, these stoppers are a solid rubber fitted onto the top of the spring attachment fittings, now instead of the tyre bottoming out, the stoppers do the job.

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2011, 08:44:33 PM »
Finally got a set of 16 inch rims for the camper to match the Prado, and recycled a set of tyes that came of the Prado last tyre change. now I just need another five rims to complete the plan :cup: :cheers: ;D
Grizzly

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »
We look like not worrying about end walls yet.....and will keep on thinking re tropical fly.

We do not live in our camper during the day...and only go north to the hot country in the winter.

But today I have ordered a piece of food grade stainless steel to extend the kitchen of our Cub Brumby.....

by 540mm. This camper has a very small kitchen area even for 2 people.

Very excited. It will now have more room to prepare food and set up stove, as this model does

not have a built in stove. We will attach it with a longish hing and as for legs .????................not sure yet.

Has anyone bought ajustable legs that fold up.............or remove and store else were would be ok.

Thanks in advance. :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:07:10 PM by hargs »
Life is to short not to...............

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »
Hi Hargs
A few pics of the kit bench  i made for my cub
your kit may not be the same as mine but you mite get a few ideas
it just sits over some angle which i pop riveted onto my kit
legs i cut down some tent poles
they fold away up under the bench
made a short support pole which just clips on
then it simply folds up we store it under ow bed
 :cheers: sheeds

Offline Eski

• Tent User
  • Practising Grey Nomad
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »
Current favourite photo..   Just like the CUB add.   :cup:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kym
2022 Isuzu MU-X & Cheetah X-Country

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2011, 12:18:09 PM »
Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UIZ733

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2011, 03:37:35 PM »
First a small modification to my Brumby. Hope the pictures are self explanatory.
Next problem I would like to solve is to relocate (during transit) the jockey-wheel from the front storage box to the rear-end (back) of the camper. I have a Maco Mule which weighs about 15Kg. If it could be conveniently (safely) be relocated to the rear it would help with weight distribution and reduce ball weight. I have experimented with it up top (just in front of the pole carrier) and this is ok except it has to be lifted up into position and then tied down which a bit of a nuisance.
Regards P

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
What does that pole hold UIZ733?

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

UIZ733

« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2011, 10:38:10 PM »
The poles (one on either side) are to hold up the front window to allow ventilation but not have it rolled up..........and also to support the front my new homemade solar roof. I will explain this by diagram/picture later as I cannot show the "real thing" at the moment. I cannot setup easily at home.
Regards P

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Hi all. Have just come back from our first trip with our 93 Offroad Drifter (the old style wind up with slide out bed ends).
Bought it off Gumtree as a going concern for $1000 with great canvas, rego and some bits and pieces to fix.
Not sure if it was a great, good or average price but seemed alright so I grabbed it. Now looking to do some mods  ;D as have seen some great things done by other swaggers. Cheers, avo.
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline maurerless

• Tent User
  • Don't take life seriously; no one gets out alive
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2012, 08:15:15 PM »
Does anyone else have problems with rain and the awning catching water rater than running off? Mine seems to be stretching the canvas so that water now pools at the kitchen end of the awning.

Any fixes out there?

Tony
2010 Isuzu D-Max; Hard walled mobile swag, but still getting out there. :)

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2012, 09:29:35 PM »
Hi all. Have just come back from our first trip with our 93 Offroad Drifter (the old style wind up with slide out bed ends).
Bought it off Gumtree as a going concern for $1000 with great canvas, rego and some bits and pieces to fix.
Not sure if it was a great, good or average price but seemed alright so I grabbed it. Now looking to do some mods  ;D as have seen some great things done by other swaggers. Cheers, avo.

:worthles: :worthles:

Offline fabulous

• Tent User
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2012, 06:30:36 AM »
Does anyone else have problems with rain and the awning catching water rater than running off? Mine seems to be stretching the canvas so that water now pools at the kitchen end of the awning.

Any fixes out there?

Tony

We bought a 3rd pole to go in the middle across the roof, if it's raining, we tend to drop the cnr down a little to ensure the water runs off easier.

Our Camper

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=5261.0

Our Patrol

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10214.msg152303#msg152303

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2012, 06:47:29 AM »
We have bought a 2010 Cub Supamatic Off Road and I was hoping that I would be showing you all after we have just had three nights away on Tasmania's west coast, but unfortunatly I had a bit of an accident while packing it up the last morning. While winding it closed and talking, big mistake, didn't realise that I had not dropped the bar above the door and it has twisted/ bent the bar that goes across the end of the camper. I know  :worthles: but have not taken a picture as of yet as I am so dark on myself.

Just need to work out now what to do. Can I claim insurance or do I need to talk to Cub to see what can be done. Any suggestions?

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »
VKprado
You are not the first and will not be the last to be caught by this with a Cub camper, I have done the same thing a couple of time's but was lucky that I felt something wrong each time and stopped before major damage was done, though I have had to build a new clamp that conects the end frame to the centre pole because I did not tighten the screw allowing the clamp to rotate on the centre pole and come out looking like abstract scupture. I think you may have to get a new pole to fix your problem , try realy hard to find an after market pole as Cub charge like wounded bulls for all their parts( I got a new winch from Cub a month later found the supplier and could have got it for half what Cub charged) ??? ??? ???, not impressed
Grizzly  :cheers:

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
Just rang Cub and talked to John in the service department. He explained how to get the bent pole out and it all made sense to me  :cheers:. Yes a new pole is $95 but it is bent to two diffenrent offsets so happy pay that.
Am a much ahppier person now, no longer getting around like a bear with a sore head.

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »
Hargs, will post pictures soon  :angel:. At the moment the Drifter is set up in the garage where we are planning its mods, so its a bit hard to take photos. Was so stuffed from working all year that when we took it away I didnt take any photos at the campsite, hell I didnt even go fishing (and we were right at the beach). The only thing I had energy for was to get up fron the camp chair on a regular basis to replenish the empty cans of Dr Jack  >:D. Cheers, avo.
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline maurerless

• Tent User
  • Don't take life seriously; no one gets out alive
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
We bought a 3rd pole to go in the middle across the roof, if it's raining, we tend to drop the cnr down a little to ensure the water runs off easier.

Hmm, I assume you bought a pole that clips onto the others at both ends. Where did you source it from?

Now I've fixed the fridge ventilation I'm going to fit a tarp over the entire roof, incl the awning. I'll need to get some extra poles anyway. The main reason is that after seasoning about 9 times and being in the rain about 3 times the roof seams still leak. I'm getting a bit sick of waking in the middle of the night with water dripping on my head.  >:( The added bonus is that it will keep the roof cleaner from bird cr@p and the like as well as possibly assisting the temperatures.

Tony
2010 Isuzu D-Max; Hard walled mobile swag, but still getting out there. :)

Offline hargs

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2012, 06:03:55 AM »
Just rang Cub and talked to John in the service department. He explained how to get the bent pole out and it all made sense to me  :cheers:. Yes a new pole is $95 but it is bent to two diffenrent offsets so happy pay that.
Am a much ahppier person now, no longer getting around like a bear with a sore head.

We too have a slight bend in one of our centre bars in the Brumby...............just stopped winding in time !!!!  Glad to hear it's one pole only and able to be fixed without going into hostital, so to speak.

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2012, 07:09:28 AM »
We too have a slight bend in one of our centre bars in the Brumby...............just stopped winding in time !!!!  Glad to hear it's one pole only and able to be fixed without going into hostital, so to speak.

Your telling me! All I could see was a trip for the camper to Sydney to get fixed. But after talking to Cub and them explianing how to get the pole out, all should hopefully be good once the new one arrives  ;D.
The way the end pole is in place it looked like it had been sewn in but they say it will slid out so time will tell.

Offline beigewagon

• Swag User
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2012, 08:29:11 AM »
Your telling me! All I could see was a trip for the camper to Sydney to get fixed. But after talking to Cub and them explianing how to get the pole out, all should hopefully be good once the new one arrives  ;D.
The way the end pole is in place it looked like it had been sewn in but they say it will slid out so time will tell.

I hadnt considered that as a possible issue. We have a 1986 Cub, and all the poles still connect at the base where they pivot from. Only downside is that the left rear pole is close to the door, and I have to duck as I come in. I think I wil be keeping my old Cub a bit longer yet.

Beigewagon.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:09:53 PM by beigewagon »
Flat four, not flat footed

Offline Eski

• Tent User
  • Practising Grey Nomad
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
Cub to the high country for me.   Two trips in a year - must be a good year...

By fjrkym at 2012-01-01

By fjrkym at 2012-01-01

By fjrkym at 2012-01-01

Huge fun and no problems...   ;D
Kym
2022 Isuzu MU-X & Cheetah X-Country