Author Topic: What size tent do I need?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline colburge

• Learning the Ropes
What size tent do I need?
« on: June 01, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
Hey all, great forum with lots of helpful info.

I don't have a CT just yet,  but have been doing a bit of research before buying and was wondering about tent sizes.  I have been looking at 2nd hand CT's,  and there are some real 'crackers' out there at the moment that I am interest in, even on my measly budget.  What I have noticed when looking at all of these sale adds however is the amount of stuff people seem to take camping, it seems to be piled up everywhere with not a lot of room to move, so I don't want to get anything too small.

Most of my camping will be with the wife and the 2 little ones, one of whom will need a portable cot; we will also have another young teenager with us on some trips.  The majority of trips I plan on doing will be for a week or 10 days at the most in the one location, but I would like to go and have a look at inland Australia with overnight stays, down the track a bit, so don't want something that will take forever to put up. 
I reckon the best size will be 12 foot , with fully enclosed annex, but don't know whether this will be too big.   I think we might end up in a few caravan parks too so I also don't want it so big it doesn't fit in a site.  I also haven't done a lot of camping so don't really know how much stuff I will need to take, trial and error I guess. I should add that I am limited to normal camping spots as I only have a 2009 Forester, so can't go too far off the beaten track.

So my question is - what do you reckon that best size tent would be to suit me?  I was also looking at these 2 CT's and reckon they would be ideal, they may even belong to forum members - (are we allowed to link to external sites?)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150608544665&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AU:1123
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290569433677&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks

Col

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
Re: What size tent do I need?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »
Col,

We had a Trackabout with a 10' tent, which was more than enough for 2, in fact that size should be fine for up to 3 kids - you just need a bit of planning.

As for the tennie, why not get a 2 man tent for them & at least they can sleep in when you & the bubs are up and about.

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline smocky

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:59:45 PM »
G'day Col,

We've just recently bought our first camper trailer after years of tenting. Wanted one for ages and finally bit the bullet.

Anyway, the way we went was to get a 9 foot main tent, full annex walls PLUS a sleepout (kids room).

I think the main tent is plenty big enough to sleep in for a couple of nights given the main bed is up out of the main floor area. The annex is permanently connected and is where you would spend a fair bit of sitting time. For the extended stays, we will put up the extra room which hangs off the back. It's only 2 poles, so not much extra to do for the extended stays.

The reason we went this way was that the smaller tent is SOOO much easier to put up and down than a big one. So for over nighters and moving around it is ideal. We will put up the extras if we are staying for a week or more.

This gave us plenty of flexibility. The trailer we wanted was a 9 foot, but I would have been happy if it was a little bit bigger. Certainly no bigger than 12 and not with poles at the outer corners.

That was our thinking anyway. Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Jason.

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »

Rent one size for a weekend and later on, the same for the other sizes that interest you.

It should give you an idea and should not break the bank.
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
Hi Col, welcome aboard :)

We have a 12' with fully enclosed annex, & it does fit on a site in caravan parks, even with the guys ropes out...but just.
As smocky mentioned, the main bed is there on your trailer, so the rest of the main tent well more than accommadate beds for 2 + cot & clothes. Keep in mind, you're camping & not in a house, a lot of time will be spent out doors kicking a ball - chasing - swimming - exploring etc.
The annex is cooking, sitting & eating, & if the walls aren't up, it makes it seem even bigger ;)

As I said, we have the 12', but it's only 2 of us most of the time, & it seems like a mansion. We have at times had 2 kids (10 & 8) plus another adult, & except for the kids clothes thrown everywhere, no one complained of claustaphobia(sp?) :)

I'd even go as far as saying a 10' would suit, but no smaller. As Hem said, they're be a bit easier to put up.

Seen any CT's in the flesh, that'd give you a better idea of size needed for your comfort.
Bob and Robyn

Offline colburge

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:46:16 AM »
Thanks all for the responses, I hadn't actually thought about a seperate kids room or a tent, something to think about.  The camping show is on next week here in Brisbane so I will go and have a look at the different sizes.

Col

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:00:32 PM »
Quote from: Estelle
Rent one size for a weekend and later on, the same for the other sizes that interest you.

It should give you an idea and should not break the bank.
Excellent advice. Might save an expensive mistake.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home