Author Topic: Going to the Snow  (Read 1940 times)

Offline medion

• Tent User
    • My Camper Buildup
Going to the Snow
« on: June 01, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »
Hi All.

I am planning a trip in July to take SWMBO and the kids to the snow. We are going to setup camp near Canberra somewhere and drive to the snow for the day.

My boys (2 and 6) will probably love the snow for a few hours, but then get over it. I figured staying closer than Canberra ould be colder (and dearer).

We don't ski or board, but we are looking for somewhere that we can take a toboggin or for sale sign etc and play on a hill somewhere. Would I need to go all the way into the ski fields or are there places on the way?

Thanks in advance.
Dion
Jackaroo SWB
Oztrail Camper 7 buildup

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Going to the Snow
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:00:54 PM »
If its your first time it would be worth going to the where the train goes up through the mountain and out on to the ski fields, the kids would love the ride.  Here is the link  http://au.totaltravel.yahoo.com/listing/631294/australia/nsw/snowymountainsarea/jindabyne/skitube/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:09:28 PM by areyonga »
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »
Mate
 The resorts hate families like you. Your not actually allowed on the resort fields with a toboggan but right beside them is a small area set aside for them. Unfortunately you have to be robbed $25 by the NPWS for the privilege of using 10km of rd to get there too. Depending on the conditions you may be able to find somewhere for a few km before smiggins but be careful as there is a creek running along the western side of the rd for a lot of that area
Living the Dream.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
Brrrrr, I have seen and felt enough snow.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline medion

• Tent User
    • My Camper Buildup
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »
Brrrrr, I have seen and felt enough snow.

So have I, but SWMBO has never seen snow fall.

Thanks for the info all  ;D
Dion
Jackaroo SWB
Oztrail Camper 7 buildup

Offline Rev

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 02:28:33 PM »
Gday Medion
My advice is to head to Adaminaby, there is heaps of cheap accommodation around the area.

You can then head up the Snowy highway to Kiandra and Mt Selwyn.  There is usually some snow around this area and best part is you will not need a parks pass to get to it if it has snowed down low enough.

You can toboggin at Mt Selwyn or anywhere on the road leading up to the area, just watch out for the hidden creeks etc.

This is where we usually head when we go up the snow, but we only live an hour or so away.
Cheers
 ;D