Author Topic: Life Dilemma  (Read 6298 times)

Offline moonie80

• Tent User
Life Dilemma
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
Hey all, its not really that bad just need some thoughts on what we should do. If it was just me no worries but have my beautiful wife to think of and can't drag her away to nothing. BUT, to get on with it, I am a Carpenter by trade and live in Brissy, getting a bit over building other peoples houses and have the opportunity to go to the mines as a haul truck driver. Starting wage is not much more than I'm on now but with the potential to earn heaps more and set us up for the future. It is up in Emerald and with not much to offer her there am worried about her. We could live in Rocky or Yeppoon but I would be travelling to the mines. Really wanting feedback on the towns mentioned, just general stuff, and are they as bad as most of the internet forums make out to be. Anything will be helpful, and we are going for a trip around on the last week of this month to look around for ourselves but being visitors and living there are very different. Thank you, Peter

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
Re: Life Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 04:12:14 PM »

I can't help you with the towns Peter but could you maybe place a time frame of 6-12 months as a trial, then if it doesn't workout head back to Brissy or if it does see where it takes you.

Good luck with your decision
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:00:58 PM »
Work in the mines, good coin  ;D ;D
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:20:44 PM »
You're only 27 and having a trade to come back to means that there is always a job if it doesn't work out.  I like GU Ruch's idea of a test period to see how it works out.

I'd be talking to her about it after the trip up there to see how she really feels about it.  Yes it's a great opportunity but money is not everything.  In my work I see plenty of wealthy people who hate eachother guts and are stressed to the max keeping up with the Jonses, and also plenty of average people just getting by who are as happy as Larry.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 05:27:34 PM »
Aim for a big town mate. Emerald is not too bad. I did the same thing with Muswellbrook nearly 20 years ago. Some things were hard but now i wouldnt swap my life for quids..
Living the Dream.

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »
Depends on what sort of lifestyle you are looking for i guess, do you want a 38 hr week or 72 hr week what will your plans be for your days off and will they be the same as your wife's plans. can you handle 7 on 4 off...... or 14 on 7 off etc etc. are you going to be paranoid about what is happening at home when you are not there. will you handle the extra income wisely.... some do, a lot don't. These are some of the things to consider
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:49:56 PM »
Dosent matter where you go , go together if you dont like it then leave but do it together . You have set your goal to put some big $$ together . Thats why your there , Go for it . If it turns to $hit grab the money & run if it works your laughing  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline moonie80

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
  Yeah JKohn money is not everything and don't get me wrong I don't need lots to have a good time or be happy, but we would like to be able to buy a house and start a family and with the way Brissy is we just can't get ahead. Not like our situation is any better than anyone else's though hey.
  Big towns are not for me Darren I originate from a small town in western QLD with a pop. of about 30 people MAX, and we lived out on a property. Probably one of the reasons I dislike Brissy so much.
  The hours are not a problem griz066 as being from the land have had around the clock planting and harvest twice a year and also did some time with contract harvesters.
  I thankyou all for your great advice and it would be good if it kept coming, All I know at the moment is that after we go have a look around we have a big decision to make. Oh and this is our place out west and the new 40 series ute we use as a bush basher, this was Easter for us and if moving to emerald a lot of the time we have off will be here, ta :cheers:

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »
Moonie if you get a moment give the rig a wash/polish will look good  ;D

Offline moonie80

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »
Yeah speewa and after the weekend and a few encounters with a couple of mobs of wild pigs she needs some repair work too  ;D

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
Rocky its not bad a lot of old houses and a bit slow there Yeppoon is a beautiful place on the Beach but very expensive now

Offline davo69 and the Nurse

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • '07 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 06:41:31 PM »
I had the same dilemma... Davo69 wanted to spread his wings and head west, and I needed to stay in Brisbane. We did FIFO from Brisbane-Perth-Newman WA for 2 years, with the longest stints apart being 9 weeks (and only back in Brisbane for a few days to 10 days). Usually it was every 4-5 weeks he'd be home.

Eventually the travelling got to both of us, so we packed up the house and moved to Newman. Have been here since Oct, and I have probably seen less of David! But at least I know he is only 3 hrs away by car at a mine site, and he could rock up anytime to "surprise" me!

I'd tried FIFO from Emerald to Brisbane for a while, and see how that goes for a while, as it's only 1hr and bit to Emerald by plane or 10 hrs by car.

The distance and alone time, does make you a bit stronger (and a bit "keener"  :-* ) but it takes a lot of work to make a marriage last the distance.

Best of luck with your decision

Ex- FIFO wife... the Nurse
get DIRTY

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »
Boy, have you got some thinking to do...What's your plan A,B and C  and whats in it for the other 1/2 of the  partnership, remember she has plans and dreams too?...
What's in it for BOTH of you?...What's the time frame? 1 year 2 years...

Yes, the mines are playing big money..its all going to be relative, but you will have to plan WHY you want to do this...money, ioslation with the boys, your own space, may be 1/2 the story..but what will be the end game..end game for both of you..

Good luck..

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 10:37:51 PM »
Are you sure you can put up with sitting in a truck all day long? I'd rather work my butt off and be surprised that the day is over than watch the clock tick along. If you got into concreting then you would earn massive money in the mines - a typical path for carpenter's

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 11:19:55 PM »
Rocky its not bad a lot of old houses and a bit slow there Yeppoon is a beautiful place on the Beach but very expensive now

Sorry but i have to disagree with this comment. Sure there is old houses but what town doesn't i'd say that if you drove around rocky you'd be surprised at how many new subdivisons there are. Enough of the defensive talk i live in rocky and have done for 12 yrs. I originally moved here after spending 12 years at olympic dam in the far nth of S.A . Looked at boyne island and tannum loved it there and still do. yeppoon is lovely as mentioned but very nice affordable housing is still available just need to look on the net at the price difference from melbourne, sydney to up here no comparison.  I am not a city person and rocky to me feels just like a big country town it has everything we want plus more and only half an hr to the beach. A lot of my work mates live at the beach and don't mind the travel plus its cooler there in the summer rocky gets really muggy at that time of year. Definately come for a look we love it here and have no plans to relocate. Very central to everything its personal preference if you want to live at the beach just means a little extra travel depending what mine you work at. You may also be aware that a lot of the mines are FIFO now and a lot of workers are based in Brisbane so if you didn't want to move you could stay there and commute the decision is all yours. good luck with it any questions fire away.

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »
Sorry but i have to disagree with this comment. Sure there is old houses but what town doesn't i'd say that if you drove around rocky you'd be surprised at how many new subdivisons there are. Enough of the defensive talk i live in rocky and have done for 12 yrs. I originally moved here after spending 12 years at olympic dam in the far nth of S.A . Looked at boyne island and tannum loved it there and still do. yeppoon is lovely as mentioned but very nice affordable housing is still available just need to look on the net at the price difference from melbourne, sydney to up here no comparison.  I am not a city person and rocky to me feels just like a big country town it has everything we want plus more and only half an hr to the beach. A lot of my work mates live at the beach and don't mind the travel plus its cooler there in the summer rocky gets really muggy at that time of year. Definately come for a look we love it here and have no plans to relocate. Very central to everything its personal preference if you want to live at the beach just means a little extra travel depending what mine you work at. You may also be aware that a lot of the mines are FIFO now and a lot of workers are based in Brisbane so if you didn't want to move you could stay there and commute the decision is all yours. good luck with it any questions fire away.

I agree with ol' mate above......... Rocky is a good place...... It's plenty big enough to provide everything you want and need and the town still does, as said above feel like a big country town..... and with some of the best coast line just down the road, you have the best of both worlds......... as for the mining..... have a crack at it mate, i did 15 yrs ago and have never left..... and don't forget if ya don't like the mining, you can throw an add in the paper and see what carpentry work pops up.......  Alot of smaller towns are short on tradies, mainly case the mining game scoops them all up.....
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

stretch7702000

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 11:44:54 PM »
Hi Moonie

Ok here is my two cents worth. I work for a company that contracts to mines all over the world so I do a lot of FIFO and and go to a plenty of different sites. With how busy we are at the moment I know a bit about being away from home for more time than I am at home.

Emerald isn't a bad place to live from when I have been there. Although it is rather expensive to rent there. Lots of people drive from the Bowen basin back to rocky mackay etc and even brisbane on there days off.

There are lots of mines around there and a few different companies. If you don't mind which company are you looking at working for.

Depending on which company you work for you can get some very good deals with housing, holidays and roster.

Haul truck driving isn't for me but that is only the start, there are plenty of other things to do on site and most mines will get you moving up and get you passed out on other machines. So its a start to other things and eventually other mines and more dollars.

Like some people are saying do it as a trial. With the shortage of tradies around I am sure you wouldn't have a problem getting back into your job.

Next hurdle is the family.

I know my wife doesn't like it very much when I am away but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast. Although we have changed our lifestyle a fair bit to accommodate it. My wife is a nurse and she works casual, so that when I am home she doesn't do many/any shifts and when I go out she puts in for as many shifts as they have for her. I agree with the nurse that you have to work at the marriage that bit extra.

Do you both want to move up there so you go home every night?

Yes it does put a fair bit of strain on the relationship so we make sure we keep in contact daily with mobiles and Skye etc.

If you want to add to the family that can also be a hassle as you need to be around at the right time.

I am away from home for usually two weeks at a time but I also do three and have done four weeks away. Usually if you work for the mines themselves up there you won't have to do that long away.

This is just part of my story and I hope it helps but feel free to ask any questions as I am sure there are plenty of other mining people that can help as well. There are advantages and disadvantages! But I would say there are more advantages. Lots for you to think about just discuss with wifey as much as you can and make the discussion together.

cheers

Paul

Offline moonie80

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »
Well Thanks All,
we have decided to go for a trip around from Fri 20th to Wed 25th up to Rocky have a look out to Yeppoon have a look then to Emerald to have a look and have a chat to a few guys ( potential employers ). Would love any names and or numbers that can be PMed to me, even though I've got a contact through a friend would like to keep my options open. We are both looking to move Paul as the Mrs is as sick of Brissy as I am, but with that in mind if we can't find the right accommodation at the right price than may have to stay here and travel up and down like you. So that's where we are at the moment, a really big thanks to all and will keep you posted as to how things turn out,
Cheers Peter   :cheers:

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »
Hi Peter,

My Daughter and her husband did a very similar thing.  He is a mechanic and was offered a job in Biloea that offered a lot more money.   So they moved up just in time to be stranded there during the floods.  But the love it up there, and have decided to stay permanently.  She is in child care and cannot believe the difference, people actually care about their kids (her words). 

She rang me two weeks ago to tell is now pregnant... so I'm going to be a grandfather... have to think of what I want to be called ..hmm ... how does Old Pete sound...

Offline moonie80

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 09:23:54 PM »
sounds bloody good Slipus and congradulations, yes the country life is the ticket for me I think, can't wait to go and check things out. Thank you for your reply.

Offline HerGU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 10:58:29 PM »
Have you considered Gladstone? We grew up there (and Rocky) and loved it. . Pretty, Beach, fishing, shopping, town lifestyle, plenty of sports and community groups, very laid back and very friendly, and should be relatively easy for your Mrs to get a job if she needs to. And if you want special shopping, rocky's only an hour away. My brother-in-law did DIDO to Blackwater for years out of Gladstone until this year. He worked with guys that lived in Hervey Bay and Bundy.

Tannum and Boyne Island (The good Beaches) are only 20 mins away and its beautiful down there. We took the dogs to the beach every weekend and my parents moved down there a few years ago.

We only moved to WA last year to get into the mines ourselves as it was almost impossible to get into in QLD.

Houses are usually in good condition and not that dear if you look in the right suburbs. Personally i would choose Gladstone over rocky any day, but depends how big a town you want to live in and your lifestyle requirements. (Gladdy about 30 000 ppl, vs rocky last i heard about 70 000).

Emerald is approx 3 hrs away from rocky, and Gladstone is about another 45 mins via Gracemere.

Just another idea.

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 12:53:31 AM »
Well as my 3rd stint of FIFO to South Africa is almost up I think I can comment on the downside of living apart even if we are near the 30th anniversary. However the big downside for me was the job changed from 3 months on 3 months off to 3months on 2 weeks off so in the past 10 months I've seen my wife for a total of 6 weeks and thats only because she flew over at Christmas which effectively blew the "profit" for that deployment. I have 6 weeks back home coming up and then another 3 months away before being offered 3 months off. I actually asked the boss to just give me a 6 week break as that was probably going to be my final deployment on this contract and I wanted to get it over and done with.

Mind you she would have been bored witless if she came with me and we'll have a lovely CT at the end of the all paid for by the South African tax payer.

To sumarise make sure both of you are happy with whatever way you work it and set goals for each 3 months or so ie pay off the crdit card buy this or that and so on and you won't be disappointed.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 07:35:15 AM »
If you can get 2 or 3 meals a day , somewhere to sleep safely & be with somebody that loves you , That's a dam good start . After that its up to you to amuse your self . Remember the longest walk starts with the 1st step . Chairman Moe

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 07:51:40 AM »
If your like me, and like to have your family with you all the time, then the fly in fly out doesn't suit, nor does the DI/DO or the week on week off, living away from your family for days on end.  I like to be with my family every day where possible, and so would be prepared to live in places which don't always have all the best traits.

I've lived and worked in mining towns before, and whilst some are not ideal, most are what you make of them.  You will soon find like minded people doing the same to make friends with.

Whilst I haven't been around Emerald for many years, I don't think it is just a mining town, but has both mining and farming in a mix.  I wouldn't count it out, if you are still deciding.

I would also support GURich's idea of a trial period, however make it a bit longer, perhaps 18 months to two years, which will give you time to settle in, and get a real feel for the area.

Offline HerGU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 10:43:20 AM »
We moved to Kalgoorlie so my other half could be home every night and still work in the mines. But Kalgororlie size wise is much like Emerald so we wouldnt of had a problem moving to Emerald either. another option is Mackay if you want to be home and work in heavy/mining industry - Mackay is growing massively so if you still want the big city life its another option.