Author Topic: Doing the big lap round aussie  (Read 2978 times)

Offline kiwial

• Learning the Ropes
Doing the big lap round aussie
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
We are looking at our options for a camper trailer or a caravan to do our big trip around Aussie. We are in our early 50's and would like to know what people think about a camper versus a caravan for the big one. We want to be travelling for at least 12months and will have a limited budget.

would you spend more on a good tug or more on the accomodation (camper )

Manjimike

Re: Doing the big lap round aussie
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »
I believe it is recommended by some to have a good tug  ;D

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
I think you must have a reliable tug first and foremost. Then the camper V caravan becomes one of where you really want to go and how you want to sleep etc while you there. A well built basic camper is a great option if you want to do the Bungles eg where you can't take the caravan. You can take the Van up the Gibb but wold you? If your able bodied and don't a little less space then I think you can get more holiday and places for your buck than a caravan.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »
Having travelled for some years with a camper trailer on a continuous basis, I would not consider a camper again for continuous travelling, reasons being you have to pack up and put everything away each and every time you want to sleep or stop, yes, every night and every time you stop while your travelling >:D

However, If you get to some place you like then that's different, you set up and stay there for as long as you wish ;D ;D ;D

You have to pack up in dry conditions, if you pack up in rain everything is wet and when you unpack that afternoon it is all wet for the night too.

If it's raining when you want to stop for the evening you will get wet setting up, and the camper will be wet next morning when you pack it up.

Maybe I was just travelling for too long and it just *issed me off, but I would look at a small pop top caravan - (just my opinion)

As I say, when stopped for long periods on beaches or the bush it is fantastic because you can have such a huge area under canvas keeping you dry and cool - depending on the options you get when buying the camper.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:45:23 PM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:41:39 PM »
For 12 months, you'll want somewhere inside to sit for inclement weather. I'd look at a pop-top caravan or expanda style.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Macca357

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »
Hi Kiwial, I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion on this.  Either way you need to have a reliable tow vehicle ideally turbo diesel for torque and fuel economy.  We travelled around SA, WA and NT in arguably one of the best CT's on the market (Kimberley Kamper) and Nissan Pathfinder - petrol . Trip was only 4 months. 2 or 3 weeks in we knew we had made the wrong choice (for us).  We missed having a couch and table to sit at.  You kinda get sick of sitting in a fold up chair after a couple of weeks.  Try it at home and see how you go after 2 weeks!  I suggest you hire a camper trailer for a week as a test then hire something a little more comfortable.  If your budget will allow a second hand Jayco type camper trailer or any brand of caravan ie pop top with aircon etc.  We arrived in Broome late April and copped 40 days of 40+ degree temp from Broome through to Darwin and then down to Ayres Rock.  The heat can get to you a bit specially through the night when you can't sleep.  I know it sounds soft but a good nights sleep makes for a great day.  We have just ordered a Jayco Hawk outback with AC plus a few add ons and look forward to the big trip again in a couple of years.  Cheers Macca. :cheers:

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:56:05 PM »
We have done the full circle, camper trailer carvan and now another camper trailer, and we are in our 50's. We travelled around 30,000 Ks with the caravan and found it a pain towing especially as most of our roads are crap. So far we have found the difference in towing the camper to the van is so much better and if your doing lots of miles the fuel economy is way better. So!!!!!   the setting up/putting away the camper to towing the van??? so far the camper wins especially as some one else said the more places you can take the camper as well.  
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline Marie_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »
If you are buying a vehicle as well as van or trailer, have you thought about a flat tray ute and a tray-back camper?  Ideal for just 2 people.

We like this combination as it can go anywhere - places where you can't tow anything.  Less tyres to  get punctures, no extra wheel bearings, brakes etc to be checked out, repaired or whatever. Ours is a canvas fold out like a camper trailer, but everything is in easily accessible cupboards so it's a case of use it - put it straight back, so there's not much unpacking and packing as there is with a basic box trailer and tent type CT.  Being a hard floor it's also very quick fold up/open up process.

If we want to stay in one place for a few days we can take it off the truck and leave it in the campsite, but mostly it's so quick to pack up we just take it with us all the time. Also means you've always got your kitchen with you for lunch, morning tea etc.

The only down side is wet canvas if you strike bad weather, but in the outback it's dry more than it's wet. 

The longest trip we've done with it was about 3 months, but we're about to set off for 6 or 7 months this time.