Author Topic: How to get a Camper Inspection (Looking at a poly camper)  (Read 2392 times)

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
How to get a Camper Inspection (Looking at a poly camper)
« on: March 22, 2011, 01:26:07 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My first post here.

Looking at a Poly Camper, that's a demo model that is located at "Coolum Beach" in QLD, http://polycampers.com.au/

I would like a independent inspection on the camper, that could take some photos, inspect the camper for issues, and the suitability for off road work.  Does anyone know of a business that does this, as I'm remote and live in Darwin.

What I know so far loa 4000 of chassis 2200 +600 for toolbox x1800 wide and the weight of trailer with tent is 550kg

Anyone with experience with these people from Poly campers? 

Cheers
Mark

Offline cardinal28

• Tent User
Re: How to get a Camper Inspection (Looking at a poly camper)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »
Hi Mark
Cant really comment on "Polycampers" brand of trailers, but we have had a poly CT for about 7 years now.( http://www.gonebush.org/t258-our-ct ) By the looks of it, they all come from the same mould as ours.
Its a breeze to tow and manouver and effortless to keep clean. I dont know what suspension they use, but on ours we have a 'simplicity' independant suspension and have had no dramas in any off road work. The poly tub and box have stood up to any off road work quite well and shows no sign of damage or deterioration. Inatially this was a concern of mine, but touch wood all good so far.
Is the one in the photos hard or soft floor? Im assuming hard floor? I dont know how the lid would handle being walked on when flipped out without any reinforcing ribs? Just my thoughts.
Good Luck
  Cheers
 Graeme K

Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional.

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »
It is a hard floor model -- been talking with Glen the owner of Poly Campers..   What I could gather from the conversation is that the campers are a little on the home made side of things being a little rough..    The suspension is a 5 leaf suspension which I would like to upgrade to 7 leaf eye to eye, and also upgrade the coupling to a Ozhitch.  Glen did note that the top of the camper is a little wavey -- but did note is was tough, and does form the shape of the ground. The trailer does come with 16" rims..  Other than that I really don't know much more about it, that's why I am looking for someone with some knowledge to visit the trailer or the business in that area so that I can learn more.

Cheers
Mark

Offline cardinal28

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »
OK - so the floor sits straight on the ground. Fair enough, but I guess you would have to be a bit careful of the ground it sits on, no sharp rocks or stones. I would have a look for you, but unfortunately I'm about 6 hours drive from Coolum Beach.
Depending on the cost, they dont look too bad. In saying that photos can also be deceptive.
 Cheers
Graeme K
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional.