Author Topic: Jayco Swan - Std or O/B?  (Read 2511 times)

Offline pauljygrant

• Tent User
Jayco Swan - Std or O/B?
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »
Hi All,
After another afternoon at our local dealer, have finally decided on a 2011 Swan.  We are not expecting to drive off road, and accept from reading post here that the O/B is not a true off roader anyway - therefore, why do people opt for the O/B version? Would be interested to hear comments for or against the Outback model before we sign up.
Cheers, Paul
2011 Jayco Swan; (about to be upgraded to 2015 Jayco Basestation); 2013 Nissan Navara 2.5 ST Auto

Offline mcbadger2

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Jayco Swan - Std or O/B?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:20:12 PM »
I ordered the outback today for a couple of reasons:

Looks better than the standard IMHO
Checkerplate siding for protection
Drop jacks as standard
external 12 v plug
More height under the bed ends for easier access into the front boot, not having to stoop down.
did I mention looks better ;D

It comes down to personal preference, i can't see myself taking this off road but good to know that it is built hopefully a bit tougher than the standard.

Mark
mcbadger

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:50:06 PM »
Hi All,
After another afternoon at our local dealer, have finally decided on a 2011 Swan.  We are not expecting to drive off road, and accept from reading post here that the O/B is not a true off roader anyway - therefore, why do people opt for the O/B version? Would be interested to hear comments for or against the Outback model before we sign up.
Cheers, Paul

If nothing else IMO the resale value of the Outback models is so much better tha the standard campers.
And who knows down the track you might like to do  for example the Gibb River Road, with the outback you can do these type of adventures, giving you more options for your family to enjoy.
IMO I'd pay the couple of grand more and go the Outback.
Cheers Glenn :cheers:

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline Robp69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:00:41 PM »
Hi Paul,

I have a 2010 Swan road version with a bush pack. I'm not a fan of chequer plate (personal preference - ex navy, sick of being enclosed with stainless and chequer plate).

Essentially, I have an underslung axle (this being debated in another thread) which gives me extra clearance including 15" wheels, shocks, 6" chassis and couple of little extras for ~$1000. This is no O/B but suffices for the slow travel where my friends go 'bush' anyway.

When I was already paying >$25k, the extra $3k was a bit too much for us. The only extras we plan on adding in the near future is a 12v water pump and a radio, unless of course the forum identify's something we just cant go without :)

Offline pauljygrant

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:42:58 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies- I agree that the look of the OB is a personal thing and do prefer it myself, but still not sure if I can justify the extra cost? As for resale, I know that from the private ads, the OB models are more expensive, but would like to hear if they actually sell for those sums of money, or is that just what the seller expects they should get!
May investigate the Bush Pack, but from the Jayco brochure, it states that it is only available on the Flite.
Otherwise, had followed the other post re axles, and had considered if it was possible relocate the axle to underslung after the camper is out of warranty.
Thanks again,and look forward to hearing from others...
Paul
2011 Jayco Swan; (about to be upgraded to 2015 Jayco Basestation); 2013 Nissan Navara 2.5 ST Auto

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »
Outback is better regardless if you go off road or not, simply for better ground clearance, I've seen many a standard model both Jayco and others drag their butt, in/out driveways even onto site in van park.

And there will always be that one time when you think. I wish I had of....
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline Strawb

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:29:35 AM »
Have to agree with Bushman I have a standard Hawk and sometimes the extra clearance on driveways and when setting up to get the clearance on the drop jacks would be a definite advantage.(instead of digging holes in the dirt)
While intelligent people can simplify the complex, a fool is more likely to complicate the simple.