Author Topic: Waterproofing canvas  (Read 4243 times)

Offline chucky

• Learning the Ropes
Waterproofing canvas
« on: March 16, 2011, 08:00:26 PM »
Does the canvas for camper trailer tents need to waterproofed with a treatment or will it keep you dry without treatment? I have wet my canvas down and let it dry in the sun twice.

Variflex

Re: Waterproofing canvas
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
If its a new camper i wouldnt imagine that it would need waterproofing applied, just a good wetdown and drying, check for leaks

Offline eatMYdust

• Sleeping Bag User
  • I Do What I Do Coz I Do It So Well
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »
Hi chucky if the canvas is new it must be weathered by doing as you have a good soaking and then left to dry once this has been done it should be right to go if you find that there a some small leaks normally found around the joins i suggest using a product called DRY-SEAL it can be rubbed on to the leaking areas and will seal it up alternatively if you don't have this product try using a white candle and rub the wax on the leaking area and just remember that there is no such thing as 100% waterproof canvas when the canvas is wet enough it will leak
cheers
eatmydust
if you pick at it, it won't heal

Offline Digger

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 04:55:41 AM »
I would not put anything on it , but soak it a few more times and let it dry in the shade with the wind on it . It is best dried slowly with the wind and not the sun on it . Also putting it up over night and let a heavy due on it .
 :cheers: Digger

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »
Hi,

Just wanted to clarify a common missconception: Canvas is the most waterproof it well ever be the day it is born, IE - your new camper.

The 'weathering' or 'waterproofing' referred to is actually to seal up the holes created by the needle when sewing. When you stitch two sections of material together, the needle passes through the material and feeds or hooks a piece of cotton, to bind the two parts. In this process the original waterproofing quality is somewhat jeopardised. But don't panic, by wetting the seam then allowing it to dry (around 3 times is plenty) the cotton will expand slightly and the hole will shrink to a degree. This is usually enough to create the original seal and is 'weathering'.

If it continues to leak, force candle wax (paraffin) into the seam - to seal the holes. Don't be concerned by this process either, the product that makes a cotton based material waterproof, is actually wax.

I hope this clears things up a little.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
Just wanted to clarify a common missconception: Canvas is the most waterproof it well ever be the day it is born, IE - your new camper.

Won't be the only misconception about CT's either. 

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog