Author Topic: Jayco Outback - Hawk or Eagle  (Read 76880 times)

Offline zed

• Swag User
Re: Jayco Outback - Hawk or Eagle
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 10:25:15 PM »
If I was to do it again I would buy a flamingo, a friend has a coramal with the same layout and its great, that little bit extra interior room make it more comfy aswell, but between the eagle and hawk my vote is the hawk. 2g for the hotwater is a bit steep :-X   Ive got a coleman hotwater for 350 with all the extras :)
03 Pajero and 07 Trackabout Safari

Offline GSK33

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Tent
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 10:47:51 PM »
If I was to do it again I would buy a flamingo, a friend has a coramal with the same layout and its great, that little bit extra interior room make it more comfy aswell, but between the eagle and hawk my vote is the hawk. 2g for the hotwater is a bit steep :-X   Ive got a coleman hotwater for 350 with all the extras :)
I've got a Swan so I'd pick the Eagle  8) Wardrobe works well with the $100 factory shelves fitted. We put all our clothes in there. A shelf each and one for dirty clothes. Folds down with clothes in it no probs. Think the hot water is $1250 and the shower is $200. Hot water works great. All set up ready to use in the sink or outdoor shower with 22l tank. Runs on 240v and gas.

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:23 AM »
I thought my computer screen was playing tricks on my eyes Teabag when I saw that you're looking at a Jayco  >:D

We went the Hawk for the same reasons as 2Brutal as the layout does seem to suit better with young ones, its almost like having two seperate living areas.

Good luck with your decision mate.  :cheers:

Mate, inevitable with a young family and looks like the best option considering the work involved with a 3 and 2 year old thus wishing to make our camping trips as easy and comfortable as possible.......Camprite would be another great option but an awful lot of money.....I do like the Camprite but money always talks...........
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »
Mate, inevitable with a young family and looks like the best option considering the work involved with a 3 and 2 year old thus wishing to make our camping trips as easy and comfortable as possible.......Camprite would be another great option but an awful lot of money.....I do like the Camprite but money always talks...........

Thats right mate its all about making it easier as trips away need to be enjoyable for all. I think the Jayco will serve you well, ours sure did.

:cheers: Adam
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »
Thats right mate its all about making it easier as trips away need to be enjoyable for all. I think the Jayco will serve you well, ours sure did.

:cheers: Adam

What are you changing to now yours is sold?
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 01:08:23 PM »
What are the domestic fridges like? Do they really keep the stuff inside cold and cold enough for icy beer? I can get the Domestic 3 way replaced with a 110ltr Weaco 12/240v for an extra $500, is it worth the upgrade noting it will also be an extra 20ltrs of space....

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »
It depends whether you plan to camp for long periods at one spot.    If so, then gas is good.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 01:44:13 PM »
It depends whether you plan to camp for long periods at one spot.    If so, then gas is good.

True but I will have 2x120amp/hr AGMs fitted with 120watt solar on the roof and will be carrying a 2kva Honda gennie if needed (for the AC when I get a little soft in the tropical climate.....)

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 01:49:45 PM »
We did 3 week trips away with ours and had the Dometic fridge and used the gas most of this time and it worked well for us and you dont have to worry about the battery going flat by using the fridge.

That is unless you get the solar panel option and Waeco I guess, or you could get 2 gas bottles which would work out cheaper initially. But the Dometic will drain your 12v battery in around 20min (so I was told)

I hope this made sense  :D

2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »
The trick to the Dometic is to make sure they are run on high on 240v for a few days before departure, they struggle to hold temp on 12v when travelling and are very thirsty on 12v if you stop for a short period.
Brilliant economy on gas, but you do need to ensure the camper is very level to get the max efficiency out of the 3 way fridge, too far out of level and it struggles.
If I had my time again and bought another Jayco I'd still go the 3 way to save the hassles and weight of extra batteries and solar etc.
The 240v side of it is as good as your fridge at home.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
On the subject of gas fridges and having the van level... I have a free app on my iPhone called iLevel.   
Only down side is that my fellow campers call me a geek. ::)
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline Teabag

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 06:09:59 PM »
On the subject of gas fridges and having the van level... I have a free app on my iPhone called iLevel.   
Only down side is that my fellow campers call me a geek. ::)

I have the same app on my IPOD Touch.....So I guess I must be a geek also....... ;D

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 07:08:59 PM »
Have a fridge 12v fan fitted to the vent as well one in my Eagle had manual switch, Swan had the on'off switch also but was thermo controlled Expanda is just thermo, would prefer manual switch.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline stevo

• I used to have a handle on life........but it broke
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »
 I had a bit of a look at the Jaycos out of curiosity the other week and the thing that got my attention was the Simplicity suspension, yet it seems that nobody takes up the option by the sound of it. It is still leaf spring but looks to be a lot more solid than the beam axle. Price was an extra $1100 over the Outback pack.
Isuzu MU-X Coronet caravan
The hearse does not stop at the bank on the way to the cemetery.

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 09:35:13 PM »
The trick to the Dometic is to make sure they are run on high on 240v for a few days before departure, they struggle to hold temp on 12v when travelling and are very thirsty on 12v if you stop for a short period.

I agree with all that but struggling to hold temp on 12v while travelling can be vastly improved IMO. I have a 90 litre dometic 3 way ST (Sub Tropical) rated fridge in my jayco eagle camper that works fine on 12v while travelling. In fact, on prolonged drives it works too good and starts to freeze things. However, I attribute this to correctly wiring my tow vehicle, discarding the standard jayco fridge wiring and re-doing it, and modifying the physical fridge installation to bring it in line with dometic's specification.
Regards
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 09:49:38 PM »
i have the waeco, and so far (one trip only) it's been fantastic
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk TBD

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »
However, I attribute this to correctly wiring my tow vehicle, discarding the standard jayco fridge wiring and re-doing it, and modifying the physical fridge installation to bring it in line with dometic's specification.

:worthles:
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »
Providing pics is easier said than done!
Try 6 B&S cable (13.5mm2 conductor) including earth return from battery/s in vehicle via 50amp anderson plug right thru to terminal block behind dometic fridge, including a fridgeswitch.
I made and fitted a baffle in behind fridge that forces the rising air thru the condensor fins as stipulated in the dometic installation manual. This was done and installed thru vents from outside. Bit hard to take a pic of it in situ.
I also have vents providing positive pressure in camper when travelling. An air passage I have built thru the setec compartment directs excess air in behind fridge and it exhausts outside thru top fridge vent, complimenting condensor cooling when travelling. Bit hard to take pics of that, apart from the air grille in the setec compartment front.
Regards.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »
Nice work Mr T - I'm sure you and the clan will be very happy with a Jayco. We spent a week next to one on Moreton earlier this year, and it was a fabulous thing. Held a family of 3 teenagers no worry at all. Surprisingly large and spacious when all set up, and looked like it had all the mod-cons. I believe it was an Outback Hawk - it couldn't have been more than 6 months old either. All up, a really impressive unit.

Other than that, I have nothing of interest to add - but it seems like you're already gathering heaps of knowledgeable owners and their tips already.

My $0.02 - I'd upgrade to the Waeco fridge. Dometic are a great brand, and I know people love gas fridges when they're camped. For me though, I'd much prefer the extra weight of another battery and a good 2-way fridge. I find them heaps more reliable, both when travelling and when camped up. As I said though, that's just my personal preference (probably cause I'm lazy).

Good luck either way. You must be serious if the boat's on the market!  ;D

Good luck!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »
OMG what a thread.......Paul you are soft!

Now seriously, when we were looking the only reason we did not get a Jayco caravany thingy was that at 6'5", i dont fit in the bed :(

On another note, I rmember someone spending a week getting another mans daughter (she was just talking) to say Waecos = Poo. God I hope you take the waeco option......hahahaha

Good luck with it mate :)
Cheers, Craig

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »
I had a bit of a look at the Jaycos out of curiosity the other week and the thing that got my attention was the Simplicity suspension, yet it seems that nobody takes up the option by the sound of it. It is still leaf spring but looks to be a lot more solid than the beam axle. Price was an extra $1100 over the Outback pack.

I had Simplicity Suspension on my Swan only because it was part of a package deal at the time, have had both types now ,think the only real bonus is more centre underbody clearance, I dont really thing it towed any better.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline youngy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2010, 04:16:12 PM »

I got this option for my outback swan, mainly for the extra clearance.

Offline What_the?

• Swag User
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2010, 10:13:24 PM »
I could be wrong, but I thought I saw a Jayco ad today in the Herald Sun that listed the price on a new Dove as from $14,990.
Could that price be right?

Trevor.

Offline Roaminangler

• Swag User
    • Roaminangler
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »
What are the domestic fridges like? Do they really keep the stuff inside cold and cold enough for icy beer? I can get the Domestic 3 way replaced with a 110ltr Weaco 12/240v for an extra $500, is it worth the upgrade noting it will also be an extra 20ltrs of space....

Been pretty impressed with it so far. Actually had to crank it right down on 240 to stop things freezing in the fridge.
Sean 'Bear Forward
Fish Hard,
Die Happy :-)

07 Paj, 10 Swan

Offline Red1

• Swag User
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2010, 09:08:16 PM »
Hi, we have had a Hawk & now have a new swan. Had the dometic last time & not that great. As already said, if you are parked up for a while then they are OK(just), but given the choice, go the waeco. As some others have already mentioned, the HWS is worth it as well. As we have a swan there was supposed to be a wardrobe, but we decided we would rather have more bench space so deleted it, (you have to fold it up everytime you move anyway).

We have the simplicity suspension, & I think it does tow better, seems to sit better on rough & corregated roads.

Cheers