Author Topic: Magazine reviews.  (Read 9253 times)

Offline swamprat

• Swag User
  • Just moved up to a Jayco Sprite. Can I stay??
Magazine reviews.
« on: May 10, 2011, 05:49:21 PM »
Just received the latest caravan mags I subscribe to and am starting to get a bit tired of reviews that suggest everyone need a 60K Turbo Diesel 4wd towing a dual axle caravan with a bathroom, dishwasher and satelite tv set-up worth 50k++.

What is their for the person , couple or young family who want to research something smaller, basic and don't plan on driving down the birdsville track or to Cape York?
Even the Campertrailer mags. have the same reviews. A 65K+ campertrailer? Give me a break.
I'm looking to move on from a Hi-Ace campervan to a small caravan (12-15 foot) or Jayco camper style, but apart from this forum the info is pretty scarce.
I know there have been some recent reviews for Jayco campertrailers but the info is pretty minimal, and no other manufacturers seem to get a mention.

What's the general view? Maybe I need a bex and a lie down!!
I'm not lost, I'm here!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Magazine reviews.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »
Caravan mags cater for new retirees who have just cashed out and spend $200K on a tug and van to do their big lap as grey nomads.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:23:52 PM »

There are caravan mags?  Sorry, I've never noticed.  As for the reviews, it's $ based.  If you pay to have your item reviewed then you are in ... if not ... it's not in the mag.  Basically, the mag is not actually reviewing the item as such, as being paid to tell all the manufacturer wishes to tell. 

It's the same for destinations.  They have a select few destinations that they rant and rave about constantly (usually the most well known) and you see nothing about the lesser known, equally as interesting places.  As an example, how many mags have dedicated pages (even whole magazines) to Cape York and The Flinders Ranges, yet mentioning nothing about, say, camping along the Murray River or fossicking for gold near Tamworth, or sapphires near Emerald whilst camping there?  Those things we are more likely to do on short trips.  Who really can afford to do a 1 month trip to the Cape every year, except maybe McGirr?

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline swamprat

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:35:36 PM »
Caravan mags cater for new retirees who have just cashed out and spend $200K on a tug and van to do their big lap as grey nomads.
I did reply D4D but it must have got lost in the ether. We are just slightly grey nomads but would prefer to conserve some cash for a rainy day. The Hi-Ace pop top might look out of place to some but it suits us until we get the next set up. Something like yours behind the 2.7 Hilux ute we have would be good.
I'm not lost, I'm here!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:40:48 PM »
Personally I wouldn't want to be winding up the roof and pulling beds out when I am older.

A small van like the Goldstream Mini or Explorer 3 would be the go.
http://www.goldstreamrv.com.au/products/poptop_mini.php
http://www.goldstreamrv.com.au/products/poptop_explorer.php

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline swamprat

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »
Personally I wouldn't want to be winding up the roof and pulling beds out when I am older.

A small van like the Goldstream Mini or Explorer 3 would be the go.
http://www.goldstreamrv.com.au/products/poptop_mini.php
http://www.goldstreamrv.com.au/products/poptop_explorer.php

Thanks for the links. Nice vans. I think we had a look at an explorer a couple of years ago in Caulfield or Bendigo. Off road model if I remember. Had a good show deal but we had just bought the Hi Ace so were just looking.
I'm not lost, I'm here!

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »
What's the general view?
I agree. But its the same as most mags, bike, car, 4wd, camper, etc.. they all expect you to be billionares with unlimited folding.

I'm also waiting for one mag, JUST ONE to one day say 'this item we are testing is a real piece of crap' instead of dancing around the edges and not offending anyone!.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline waz65

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »
I'm also waiting for one mag, JUST ONE to one day say 'this item we are testing is a real piece of crap' instead of dancing around the edges and not offending anyone!.
That will never happen , as long as makers pay for advertising in magazines
2000 Patrol TD4.2T with heaps of stuff
2007 Bayside Campers Offroad CT with mods

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »

I saw one come through Ballina today, a brand new cruiser v8, brand new Jayco expanda (don't know what length...) boat on the roof of the cruiser, packed to the gunwhales heading north (like most southern seaguls)...the $2.00 coins were coming out of the exhaust pipe of the cruiser.
The set up was bent like a banana as there was no weight distribution hitch set up...
Unleaded @ $1.50 per litre up here at the moment, plus pulling all that weight...they must be made of money.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 06:15:44 PM »
Folks, who wants to (pay to) read about what other poor people with limited choices are doing? You can do that here for free.

Seriously, this is such an old beat up. Yes, magazines have a commercial edge, but to suggest they only review advertisers products and then only favourably is rubbish. It is certainly true that they get pressure from advertisers for "preferred treatment" but this is not new in publishing and journalism.

It is true that some subjects are run repeatedly, especially if you've been a subscriber for as long as I have. No worries, they're always looking for new articles, have crack, you can see it's not hard to do, photography apart perhaps.

I enjoy the different styles between the magazines I read, for eg, Carlisle's lots of short stories approach on a location or destination is refreshing. If I have any negative comment about the magazines it would be a lack of editorial quality in some articles.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »
If I have any negative comment about the magazines it would be a lack of editorial quality in some articles.

What? Nothing about the electrical section :)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »

I grew up reading ADB when Eldridge was the editor. They used to can the sh*t out of bikes... Obviously they dont now.
If you was to see a truly good mag that still has the subject at heart look at Wild.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:27:38 PM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
RIP GE  :'(

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:15:56 PM »
Folks, who wants to (pay to) read about what other poor people with limited choices are doing?
Who wants to (pay to) read about $zillion setups (car then trailer) that 90% of us could never afford, nor ever consider? people buy mags mainly for researching, within their budget.
goes both ways ;D

I'd like a mag to more user tips type things. Handy little things people have thought up along the way that others may like.
There was one such item I saw somewhere about looping your pole rope around the pole (before the peg into the ground) to stop the canvas flappign in the breeze - simple yet effective - even better FREE.

I grew up reading ADB when Eldridge was the editor. They used to can the sh*t out of bikes... Obviously they dont now.
If you was to see a truly good mag that still has the subject at heart look at Wild.
Yup I stil have a stack of early 1980's ADB's here.. they go for a good $ on ebay!, I still remember calling Warren Jack who hadnt heard yet about Geoffs accident as he worked with Geoff there for years. (wazza still does articles for ADB!)

I cant remember the name of the bike magazine, but they destroyed one of the early GPZ750's and Kawasaki didnt give them another bike to review for 5-8years but they gained much support for being honest.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Campa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
I've let my 4wd Ac%^@$ and CTT mag subscription run out because of reviews that are biased to the manufacturer of the product being reviewed. 

I'm not going to bother renewing it. If I need any information on a product, I jump on a forum that discusses that particular product and get honest opinions from people who have actually used it, rather than let some amateur writer tell me whats good and why I should buy it.

Offline linmac

• Swag User
  • "Git-R-Done"
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more bnk08 I don't buy many magazines any more because of there rose coloured reviews. A little while ago my oldest said he wanted his own tent when we go camping fair enough he's 13.  I was in the newsagents and seen a mag sitting there with a tent review on the front cover thought beauty this will let me know what is a good tent to get him get home open it up what a waste of $10 three pages of nothing. I'm with you LOST if it crap say its crap give them a roasting maybe then that company will fix there problems with the camper
GU Patrol 3" lift. 33" BFG's and other odds and sods.  Complete Campsite Fraser Hard Floor

Offline Johnny Trackabout

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • GIDDY UP...WHOO BACK
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 07:01:08 AM »
As a long term advertiser in some of these magazines I can say that I have to agree with you guys in many ways and it seems he with the biggest budget is blessed by rave reviews. As a result I have not renewed my contract with some of these magazines as I believe there credibility has gone out the door and "you" the reader should not be fooled by a well written story with nice glossy photos.
I have had many reviews written on our products over the years and have always said "say it as you see it" and don't hold back. To this day I have not really read anything bad and I have also taken some of there ideas on board for self improvement of our product.

I am about to give a $16500 camper to one of the magazines for a 5 week Kimberly adventure. I have only placed around 5 adds with this magazine in the 9 years I have owned Trackabout....so lets just say I am not really a major advertiser in this magazine.
I am taking this opportunity to trial some new features and product to see how it fairs up to the punishment. The man responsible for taking our camper has already said "he tends to put it through its paces and don't expect it to come back looking so pretty" ??? We hope to come out of this experience with some useful feedback on these new features and hopefully be able to offer them in time to our clients.
I would also like to think that if its not up to speed and there experiences with this camper are less than enjoyable, that you guys will read and hear about it when the article is published.
I generally don't like giving my campers out for test trials as over the years I have had battery's swapped, gear stolen, trailers blatantly abused through stupidity, and kitchens left so filthy that I have thrown them in the bin just to name a few. BUT I do believe in this journo and I do believe he will say it like it is....and better yet he will treat the camper with some respect !

Cheers
JT

Offline ap

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 08:00:11 AM »
JT it is refreshing to hear your "say it as it is" expectations as a manufacturer from a magazine review.  This demonstrates your desire and commitment to improving your product and a rose tinted review would not be very useful to you in doing this.

The commercial reality is that there are a whole host of CT manufacturer's out there and many of them are fighting to try and build their market share without the advantage of a well established reputation like Trackabout (and others).  They may then choose to spend their money on advertising in the hope of a good review to achieve this rather than on doing R&D on their product.  From the magazine's point of view they need to keep the advertising $ rolling in.

I cant remember the name of the bike magazine, but they destroyed one of the early GPZ750's and Kawasaki didnt give them another bike to review for 5-8years but they gained much support for being honest.

Did anybody see the "perfect new car for a head of an Eastern European crime family" episode of Top Gear where they pitted a Merc E55AMG, Rolls Royce and Bentley against each other?  Well Bentley decided not to give them a car at the last minute so they bought a 20 year old Skoda and used that instead.  Lots of quotes from Jeremy such as "£220,000, and you get this .....".  I bet Bentley wished that they had given them a car! 

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »
Have you ever watched any of those lifestyle shows, Better homes and gardens, escape with ET etc... They are one huge ad. Even the news on commercial tv now features promotions of upcoming events or shows that are run by the network or business that owns it. There is no such thing as  'Journalistic integrity' and i doubt there ever was
Living the Dream.

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 08:31:28 AM »
The reviews are also heavily editted from the writers version.

A while back I was asked to take a camper and write about it. A freelancer 'someone independent' to the magazine. The camper had already been reviewed, the original reviewer was a staff member and gave it a bad wrap (an honest Journo). This caused tension and the advertiser asked for it to be done again.  So I landed a hot potato and gave my honest constructive opinion - unfortunately it was chopped to pieces.

The manufacturer was very cranky with me and was pushing me for my text before I submitted it, I kept pushing  back as the text is not mine (it's owned by the mag). Imagine if they saw my unedited version, I would probably have woken up with a horses head in my bed.  8)

I haven't been asked to do a review again.

Journalism is not about selling. Good on you JT - Advertisers have the power - money talks. I stopped submitting tech articles to a particular magazine about 8 months ago now, anything I put my name against needs to be truthful.

I do some stuff with industry publications occasionally, and the difference when working for these guys is amazing. Very professional and my original text no matter how offensive will go through, genuine journalism.

This post is probably going to bite me.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:33:14 AM by DANBRI »

Offline linmac

• Swag User
  • "Git-R-Done"
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 08:32:46 AM »
Yes I did see that top gear show ap bloody funny but one good thing about the top gear boys if they test drive a car and its got bad points they tell you not that I'll be getting a Bentley soon lol.
I just wish we could get the same reviews from our journo's here not this sitting on the fence crap we get. Johnny your spot on here take my product and take it away give it a good work out and when you get back let us know areas that need to be looked at so you can improve it for us. There is another mag that have been pushing another brand of camper down our necks not once have they said it has an imported tent on it so much for looking after all Aussie made I'd like to know what there advertising budget is ? talk about cash for coment
GU Patrol 3" lift. 33" BFG's and other odds and sods.  Complete Campsite Fraser Hard Floor

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »
 Magazine content is good to gain the spec's of an item and a visual idea of what you can expect from the manufacturer but that's about all. I like the way people are shown an infomercial on an item, it shows more on the ( life style this item will give you ) than what the items quality or features are. Watch a car add and if you own this car you can forget your dogs in your handbag on the roof and drive around town. What's that all about..? Buy a certain Ute and your able to park it on a big arse boat, go figure. It's sad to see this is the world we live in today, and its brought to you buy the advertisers.   THANKS.
Good on ya JT for keep'n it real.
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »
I generally don't like giving my campers out for test trials as over the years I have had battery's swapped, gear stolen, trailers blatantly abused through stupidity, and kitchens left so filthy that I have thrown them in the bin just to name a few.
Speaking with one of the trailer places here in Vic, they had a similar experience, where the trailer was written off after it returned from a test. Ripped canvas, bent everything (it had been abused badly), no brakes left as he left the hand brake on for a few days etc etc
The bloke apparently called them again few mths later for another model he wanted to test, you can guess the answer.

I'm with you LOST if it crap say its crap give them a roasting maybe then that company will fix there problems with the camper
This is my point. if the "experts" dont tell them of the failings, the manufacturer wont know what they need to work on.

Maybe when the items are returned, they are actually given a list of things that the tester didnt like that dont make it into print... who knows, its all a top secret world.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:57:10 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
How many times have 4WD magazines given things like pajeros 4WD of the year??? Well there goes your cred straight away

Wouldnt it be refreshing if 4WD Akshun or whatever said "all these 4wd's are Shit off rd" In their yearly shootout
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:06:07 AM by darren »
Living the Dream.