Author Topic: Mud Terrain Tyres ....  (Read 11229 times)

Offline moonie80

• Tent User
Re: Mud Terrain Tyres ....
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »
If I was buying muddies I would go Cooper STT's, but I have Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Ribs and they are the best of both worlds, IMO.

Offline trekkn

• Tent User
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »
we are on our second set of cooper stt after geting 75k out of our first set with out any problems

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »
I had a set of STT's on my Jeep and never had a puncture and got excellent wear out of them.

For the Pajero, as it's a daily driver, I now have ATZ's and am happy with them.  They have been through the Flinders on many occasions, Vic High Country, Red Centre, Kakadu and Litchfield and again never let me down.  The only 'concern' with them is that they are a 2 ply side wall.

Even though they are wearing well I am considering a 3ply sidewall tyre for our Kimberley trip next year and am tossing up between the STT's and KM2's so this thread is excellent.

Offline John N (sa)

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 08:41:21 PM »
Another vote for the MTRs - we have the same wheels and tyres on the Patrol and camper. A bit noisy on the bitumen, but good wearing and excel off road.

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »
I hate tyres  >:( I hate em coz, despite what old Bob says there is no real all-rounder   :angel:

I'm on my 2nd set of muddies.. However I didn't buy either set for mud, I bought em for two completely different reasons;

#1, they tend to have tougher cases, which is really what you want when you run lowish pressures under a very heavy vehicle along rocky outback roads.

#2 is that they don't tend to pick up and wedge rocks between the treads that eventually burrow through to the air bit..

Both sets I have had have performed in those two capacities faultlessly. Both however have worn oddly. I don't mean fast because I don't r really care how fast they wear but they have both feathered off on the lugs and they both became outa round a bit to the point where you get wheel wobble and you can feel it at very low speed on smooth tar. And yes, correct pressures are maintained and regular rotations through all 6 tyres are performed.

The first set lasted 50k and were knackered, but they did have a pretty hard life so 50k to me was outstanding (bearing in mind that that is 6 tyres, not 4, so none actually saw the full 50k) and the only puncture I got was from a roofing screw. The second, and current set have done 25k (6 again) but really, like the first set, you can’t use that gauge on off road tyres unless they spend 90% of the time on the tar, which mine don’t (it’s prolly more like 50% I guess). No issues yet despite taking a big sharp goolie rock down the left side that I was sure would have taken out all 3 side walls (the Camper still runs tyres from the first 8 I bought) but there was hardly a mark. I was very impressed that day I can tell you.

So, I like the muddies I had coz they have been tuff.. Late in our big trip however they showed me why you need a muddie for mud coz without those tyres and a front air locker, there is no way in hell I would have driven across the mud lakes of the Simpson in front wheel drive.

What were they? The first were MTZs and the current ones are KM2s, both in 285-75-16.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope you get a good run out of whatever it is you settle on

Cheers
Joff
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 09:33:52 PM »
It all depends on what type of roads you are doing...

I use to run the old BFGs and never had any issues, when i bought my Patrol in 2004 i was talked into Cooper STTs by a mate that swears by them. I had 4 sets of the STTs fall apart within 100000ks all were covered by warrenty but for reliability i finally decided to change back to BFGs. At this time the new KM2s were just coming out and I purchased a set. These have now travelled 60000ks and still have 40-50% tread left.

Now im not knocking Coopers but the guy at the tyre shop told me that the tyres were not standing up to the weight of my fully laden car and trailer as it is beyond what they are designed to cope with. My car weighs over 3t empty and trailer 1.1t empty. Gets up between 5.5 and 6t when loaded with all 5 of us and our gear and fuel.

The BFG KM2 Muddies have so far travelled across the Simmo twice, doing the Oodnadatta track as well as the old Strez and out to Coober Pedy. They have also done a trip through the Snowys and the Flinders not to mention the many local trips and to and from work every day.

My mate has never had a problem with his STTs and swears by them.
I have never had a problem with my BFGs and i swear by them.
I also have mates that swear by their MTZs.

I know this probably doesn't help but it shows that not the same thing works for everybody. If you have been having a good run with your tyres I would suggest sticking with them.
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 09:45:52 PM »
You will never get a firm answer on tyres. Theres too many to choose from...

Go and check out what your local 4wd club members seem to go with mostly, it can be a good indication of what is best for your area.

There are so many tyres out there now that are almost as good as the next.

As you can see from the replies in this tyre thread and most others on every single car forum:
50 people will love this one and their mates will have had that other one and its shiite
50 people will love that one and their mates will have had this one and its shiite

I've had tyre A and its crap, fell apart after X klms, I now only run tyre B
I've had tyre B and its crap, fell apart after X klms, I now only run tyre A
... and so on.

Its almost pointless asking.  Every car is different, every setup, every driving condition, every driving style, every use, road surface, rim width, trailer weight, lift kit etc etc the list is almost endless.

Its your car, and your money. Good Luck :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 08:37:16 AM »
Thanks for all the replies folks!

Im not after a definitive "you must buy this tyre" I am simply gauging opinion, and experience from others on their tyres. I am more than likely wavering between BFGs, Goodyear wranglers, and Coopers.  I have cooper AT on my Rav4  and have been very happy with them.  I recall the first set of Yoko geolanders I had and they were fantastic. Sadly the mkII geos went to a softer compound and wore extremely quickly.
I will take all your input into consideration.

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
I have Cooper STTs on my 2008 Patrol, they are down to 3.5mm front and 4mm rear tread depth at 42,000km. I've rotated them three times. They do a lot of serious offroad work at Glasshouse Mountains, usually at 22psi, and from time to time with both lockers on and a little wheelspin to get up tough rock ledges.

So, probably not indicative of what you could expect from them for your intended usage, but they have gripped well in all offroad conditions, go ok on wet tar (couple of straight-ahead moments in corners before I got used to them) and are typically loud. One puncture which was a nail in front left, it lost 2-3psi a day so not a major problem, I have onboard air. Dead at 42k is fine by me considering what I've put them through  ;D

I'd get them again, and still might - because my preferred replacement is the BFG KM2 (best muddy on the market atm) and there is a 2 month wait for them... and I need new tyres yesterday  :-[
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
Why change (or thinking of changing from the MTR's)?

Apart from some slight faster wearing of the larger outside tread blocks (IFS vehicle) I've had a great run from mine- and are going back on when they wear out.
So far 55,000kms and still have around 6mm left.  I no longer run these offroad dailiy drivers (I have a choice of a second set) but they still drive onroad and in the wet beautiful- would be expecting 80,000kms out of 5 rotated.

Had MTZ's before this set and after 20,000kms noticed a marked decrease in performance offroad- no punctures just not able to get me where I wanted to go.
Took 40,000kms for that same feeling with the MTR's.

still like to know your thoughts on changing?
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 12:13:55 PM »
Why change ?

No particular reason. I have had a few puncture recently (two at the base of tread blocks, one sidewall) and one highway blowout. So I thought it might be an idea to reconsider my options. I live in a small country town, so any tyre order in 33s is likely to be a waiting game. I will need to save some money for the new rubber, so seemed like a good time to do some research.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
Why change ?

No particular reason. I have had a few puncture recently (two at the base of tread blocks, one sidewall) and one highway blowout. So I thought it might be an idea to reconsider my options. I live in a small country town, so any tyre order in 33s is likely to be a waiting game. I will need to save some money for the new rubber, so seemed like a good time to do some research.

One thing to consider as Muz said above, many tyres in recent times, eg, some of the popular tyres these days have issues with supplies - some waiting 4mths for example (why the hell anyone would wait 4 mths!), same with several other tyres.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
I am aware of the wait. Altho I have not heard of anyone in town waiting 4 months .....

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »
I have an order for a set of BFG MT 285/70/16. I am looking forward to putting them on the patrol and seeing what they can do. Heading to the Cape in June.  The debate is almost like a ford -v- holden -v- all others. My tyres should claer the docks on 11th May, which should mean alot of other BFG MT should be in the shops soon after.  Time will tell what they are like.

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 12:27:05 AM »
Yours is gong to look great Frosty with the 285 Muddies.. :cup:
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/