Author Topic: Trak Shak CT  (Read 7113 times)

Offline RIB007

• Learning the Ropes
Trak Shak CT
« on: May 05, 2011, 07:35:38 AM »
Hi all.
Can anyone give me feed back on a Trak Shak CT , i know they are heavy but how do they tow .Is there any issues in packing up the tent on the trailer.

Regards
Richard  :D

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Trak Shak CT
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:55:54 AM »
We had a Trak Shak for a few years and loved the inside space of it.

The towball weight was relatively light and the two 40lt Waeco's were awesome.  Two queen size beds were great as was the room underneath.

What we didn't like was having to take the stone guard off everytime you wanted to access the fridges on the move, and taking the kitchen off the rear tailgate and hauling it outside.  Packing up was ok but was made much easier with two people.  My wife is a shortie at 5'2 and found it a bit difficult hauling up the canvas on top where it has to go, but we managed.

We took ours all up through the Red Centre, Vic High Country, and to the Flinders Ranges many times and it certaninly served us well!

Offline Ruffstuff

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:13:04 AM »
I have one and cant fault it, as per JK's response above the stone guard was a PITA but I've now fitted a stone stomper which has sorted this out.
It tows beautifully behind the cruiser & the electric brakes work well.
the only negative i have are the electrics not being the best but I've recently completed a full rewire and fitted two Fullriver 120AH which has solved most of my issues. the wiring from the factory is a bit messy with an in-line fuse on every wire at the battery in the battery box and no way of telling whats what, unfortunately there is a limited amount of space to put a fuse block.
The other improvement i have made is to fit a pump to the removeable kitchen so water flows when the tap is turned rather than the old galley pump that was there, I have put a few merit and Anderson plugs in various places for external lights etc and fitted some LED's to the kitchen & inside the tent.
Mine also has the solar panels so i am  self sufficient and was able to run both fridges, lights, water pump & Ipod dock running off an inverter from it for 6 days over Easter without needing the generator.
I have never found setting up too much of a problem and usually do it by myself as the wife keeps the kids busy.
The packing up part is easier than the setting up & has never been a problem.
Cheers,
Mark

Warning: This Post May Contain Traces of Nuts!!! :)

80 series Landcruiser, DTS Turbo, Cross Country Intercooler,  3"exhaust, 33" BFG MT, locked, Lifted & gadgetised
2005 Trak Shak

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 09:59:01 PM »
whilst not one to spread any rumors, track shak are all 100% made in china, so i have been told, from the horses mouth so to speak.
HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
"Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Offline Ruffstuff

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:59:52 AM »
whilst not one to spread any rumors, track shak are all 100% made in china, so i have been told, from the horses mouth so to speak.
Not quite correct, the trailer is all made in china, the canvas etc is done here and have been since late 2004/ 2005. There are a few posts on it on this forum and also on exploroz. Trak Shak themselves make no secret about this and it was also published in one of the camper trailer magazines when they did a review. It enables them to achieve a scale of economy as they bring them over in bulk.I believe there were a few teething issues, but like anything , the Chinese will build to whatever quality you require providing your prepared to pay for it.
A good mate of mine has a 2007 model made in china and was very sceptical when he heard about them being made in china. He is a boilermaker/welder by trade & he was unable to fault the construction at all and has also had no issues in the years he has owned it.
Warning: This Post May Contain Traces of Nuts!!! :)

80 series Landcruiser, DTS Turbo, Cross Country Intercooler,  3"exhaust, 33" BFG MT, locked, Lifted & gadgetised
2005 Trak Shak

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »
Not a rumour, they have been built off shore for a few years now :'( so according to some they are only Chinese rubbish >:D but the reality is they are not they are actually a very well made CT.
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »
We had a Trak Shak for a few years and loved the inside space of it.

The towball weight was relatively light and the two 40lt Waeco's were awesome.  Two queen size beds were great as was the room underneath.

What we didn't like was having to take the stone guard off everytime you wanted to access the fridges on the move, and taking the kitchen off the rear tailgate and hauling it outside.  Packing up was ok but was made much easier with two people.  My wife is a shortie at 5'2 and found it a bit difficult hauling up the canvas on top where it has to go, but we managed.

We took ours all up through the Red Centre, Vic High Country, and to the Flinders Ranges many times and it certaninly served us well!
X2 but we only used one not owned it, when packing away just make sure you keep the canvas tidy and tucked in (we would get the kids ontop to push out the air from inside the canvas) for the very large size of the tent they are very quick and easy to pack away.
When errecting the tent we were advised to use a full size broom and place it length ways under the bottom hoop which would partly errect the tent and then go around and pull the floor out very easily then go inside extend the poles and you were pretty much done for an overnighter, just place a couple of bags or similar in the corners to hold it down if you didn't want to put pegs in.
I reckon the Trak Shak is a fantastic CT if you need all of that room, Deluxe Camper Trailers are nearly identical to the Trak Shak but im unsure if they are still made in Australia.
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
I think the low ball weight is one of the selling points of the Trak Shak, and the ability to move the jerry cans around on the trailer to keep the right balance.