Author Topic: Waeco Coolpower RAPS 36 Battery pack  (Read 4553 times)

Offline brumby

• Learning the Ropes
Waeco Coolpower RAPS 36 Battery pack
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
Hi im just wondering if anyone out there bought a raps 36 pack to run their fridge and is dissapointed with its performance? Not knowing much about power I bought it with a fridge pack deal that was going last year on the recommendation of the dealer but im finding its not doing anything like he said it would do. I had it tested at an auto sparky and its pulling about 36 amps and he said you couldnt expect any longer than 6 to 8 hrs really. Only having a xtrail there is no room for a aux battery and was hoping to get us by when travelling but sometimes in the car its only running the fridge for 3 to 4 hours.
Landcruiser Prado 08 GXL, Tambo Omeo Camper

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
Re: Waeco Coolpower RAPS 36 Battery pack
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:03:35 PM »
Hi Brumby ceck out this thread.
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=4808.0

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
Hi im just wondering if anyone out there bought a raps 36 pack to run their fridge and is dissapointed with its performance? Not knowing much about power I bought it with a fridge pack deal that was going last year on the recommendation of the dealer but im finding its not doing anything like he said it would do. I had it tested at an auto sparky and its pulling about 36 amps and he said you couldnt expect any longer than 6 to 8 hrs really. Only having a xtrail there is no room for a aux battery and was hoping to get us by when travelling but sometimes in the car its only running the fridge for 3 to 4 hours.

The amount of time 6 to 8 hrs on a 36Ah battery, working on max 8hrs, your fridge would be pulling approx 4.5Ah, depending on your fridge set up, ie... temp / volume...would be close.
Getting 3 to 4 hours in the car...other variables are coming into play, cabin temp of the car, fridge cycling more due to change in the temp setting when the fridge went in the car. You may have put food in from the shop when you were on the journey, or people opening for drinks whilst travelling...all causes for the fridge to cycle more to drop the temp due to the new additions.

Anyway...all is not lost, you can use the Raps 36Ah to power your lights..floros, LEDS whilst you are camping...If you are into getting a battery pack with a bit more power ie 100 to 130Ah...well other blokes in the forum will lend a hand on giving you some links and tips....

Over to them....

Offline peanut2

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »
Brumby

There are generally switches on the side of your fridge.  They are near where you plug the power in.  I have one on my 50 that says battery protection low/medium/high and one on my 80 that says economy/normal/high.  I remember my factory setting on my 50 was set to high and I used to chew through power on my RAPS 36 on day trips.  So I changed it to medium and not run out of power since.  I don't know why the difference.  Someone with a bit of knowledge on these things may be able to make comment.

Peanut