Author Topic: my Peronal little rant  (Read 9896 times)

Offline Mav

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Centralian Images Profile
Re: my Peronal little rant
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 12:30:06 AM »
I was wondering what on earth could have gone wrong until I read the 52 then it all became immediately clear. In todays workplace there is little room for anyone over the age of 40 no matter how the government tries to say differently. I stay where I am doing shift work and providing for my family simply because I know that there is no other job available for me due to my age.

Before anyone says that is crap I will add I am in the I.T. industry and in this industry if you are over 30 you are considered a liability as I.T. companies want to put forward a fresh youthful look which is why they employ uni grads on dirt pay who are happy to work for that.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »
Before anyone says that is crap I will add I am in the I.T. industry and in this industry if you are over 30 you are considered a liability as I.T. companies want to put forward a fresh youthful look which is why they employ uni grads on dirt pay who are happy to work for that.
Agree. Im in the same boat. I am learning nothing, no chance of advancement no training budget, nothing, but am on good $ and enjoy the people I work with, although the company has been bought out by the french, and since then has turned to poo.

+ the fact that grads will work for dirt at the start. experience means zot in IT these days.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22:13 AM »
I have always wondered why the most recent reply's to a post are numbered as 'number' 1
when the original post gets the largest number and that's where the page always loads ?

The most recent post is always at the bottom of the page when I would think it would be at the top of the page ;D

Is it just the way the page loads on my own computer, or is this the usual way it happens ???

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 11:40:56 AM »
I have always wondered why the most recent reply's to a post are numbered as 'number' 1
when the original post gets the largest number and that's where the page always loads ?

The most recent post is always at the bottom of the page when I would think it would be at the top of the page ;D

Is it just the way the page loads on my own computer, or is this the usual way it happens ???

Edit: As Gunna Do has stated below, go into your profile and change the layout.

Lets keep this thread on the topic of 'older over qualified workers being overlooked in favour of the exploitable young' rant.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:03:41 PM by Snow »
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »
Sorry Snow to keep this off topic for one more post, but you can change the way the replies are ordered on the page ie. first to last or last to first.  Go into your profile section and then click on the "Look and Layout Preferences" tab, then you can select the "Show most recent posts at the top." option, or unselect it as the case may be.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:01:33 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 03:55:02 PM »

Cant say I agree, I'm over 30 & still regularly get job offers, which include training & other things.  If you allow yourself to get stale, then then industry will allow you to be stale.  Im also IT, im one of the proper Propeller Heads X:-)
We are currently looking for 2 people with the right skills here & would be happy to find someone regardless of age.  What I find frustrating is people lying badly in their CV & when asked in interview its obvious that they have never heard of what the primary skill your asking for.

Offline Mav

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Centralian Images Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
Cant say I agree, I'm over 30 & still regularly get job offers, which include training & other things.  If you allow yourself to get stale, then then industry will allow you to be stale.  Im also IT, im one of the proper Propeller Heads X:-)
We are currently looking for 2 people with the right skills here & would be happy to find someone regardless of age.  What I find frustrating is people lying badly in their CV & when asked in interview its obvious that they have never heard of what the primary skill your asking for.

Well your company is an exception to the rule in the IT world from my experience. We are constantly being told by upper management not to bother applying for positions within our company yas there is no place for us outside of our current workplace due to our age. We have reasonable skill sets but the company also refuses to provide any training funds to send us on training courses. The only way we can get training other than crap web based stuff is if the customer foots the bill.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
Told ya dan, open an office in Scoresby and I'll start Monday.
PS... your company is a little larger than most, and your work is more specialized than most too.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »
Well your company is an exception to the rule in the IT world from my experience.
I dont know about that, I was talking offers from external.  I know of at least 4 others in 4 different companies that all are over 35 & all get the same type of offers.

Maybe the specialties do make up some part of it but that can be remedied with some self training.  Anyway, im off to interview someone thats over 30 for a job.

& Bruce ive told ya a thousand times, if you want the $$ & good job roles, come into the city.  Sadly even large companies keep all their high end roles in city centers.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 11:40:03 AM »
& Bruce ive told ya a thousand times, if you want the $$ & good job roles, come into the city.  Sadly even large companies keep all their high end roles in city centers.
yea I'd rather get married than have to go to the city for work... yea, the perve is there, but relying on public transport (as you found out)is as inviting as the clap.
YMMV
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »
yea I'd rather get married than have to go to the city for work... yea, the perve is there, but relying on public transport (as you found out)is as inviting as the clap.
YMMV

Sitting in my city office overlooking the Yarra whilst typing this. Takes me an hour each way to drive in, I bought a new corolla for the trip. It is not that bad. As has been said earlier if you want a job in IT in MEL you have to work in the city.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »
Sitting in my city office overlooking the Yarra whilst typing this. Takes me an hour each way to drive in, I bought a new corolla for the trip. It is not that bad. As has been said earlier if you want a job in IT in MEL you have to work in the city.
to each their own, I've worked in CBD and St Kilda 4-5yrs ago, it doesnt excite me with reports traffic is shed loads worse now than before - although for a new challenge with some sort of future I would consider it, but it would want to come with helicopter landing pad + chopper + pilot and matching paypacket for me.
against CBD:
- I hate traffic(driving),
- I hate crowds (train/tram),
- I hate being late to work or home (daily guarantee with train/tram and usually when you drive),
- I hate being lubed up to pay for parking (driving).. some places were $40+ a day!
Also have the corolla for daily duties and drivin eastlink without having to change lanes the whole way to work cause theres 0 traffic is fantastic for a no stress start to the day.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 09:34:01 PM »
Applied again to this mob .they wanted a part time and a casual and got rejected again .

frustrating

craig

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
A bit of an update and a few observations.

To satisfy my need for mental stimulation I am doing some volunteer stuff for a industry based group in the area I love

Just did some calculations  it's approximately 15 weeks since I left work the as I said the first few were a bit of a holiday.  I looked back at my files and I have 39 separate covering letters for jobs I have applied for, this does not include the covering letters I wrote over for the first few weeks I for job search so I figure somewhere between 50 - 60 written applications.

Just give you a bit of background.
I am slightly unique at what I do (transport and logistics) I have a lot of experience in operational side of things and in the strategic planning type area.  I have a paper I co authored being released at a internation logistics conference next month and my work in vehicle modelling efforts became part of the National Transport Commission submission to the federal government.

Out of all the jobs I have applied for I have had one interview that was for a state government position (I came second, they interviewed 4 people out of 80 something applications according to my exit interview). 

I am only applying for positions that I know I can do. interviews = zero, nada, nil
Feedback = almost Nil.

I did apply for transport scheduler position via a recruitment agency and got a nice email back saying I didn't get an interview because the position had specific requirements.  The requirements where transport scheduling experience and customer service experience.  So I sent back an email asking where my application fell short as I felt i had significant experience in both areas, {i was a slightly more tactful in my email}  (I have had a lot of scheduling experience.  I have spoken to industry groups about scheduling and it is related to what my paper is about.  As a transport ops manager I dealt with customers on a daily basis and in my last role I was dealing with customers setting up or monitoring distribution networks to delivery millions of dollars worth of product).  Wonder why they have not responded  ?   LOL

So is age an issue ??

cheers

Pete

Offline fitzyfootlong

• Tent User
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 07:39:28 AM »
Gday Pete, I am in the transport industry in Brisbane mate and heard a whisper there is a management position at cockburn transport.. not sure if it is what you are after but might be worth a look  ;D

Also I know Tyne Container Services are looking for someone skilled and trustworthy to help running shipping containers.. I reckon there is plenty out there mate.. just gotta open all doors. Recruitment companies like Sarina Russo and max network are good but the best way is always word of mouth.. You must have built up some contacts over your years??

Good luck mate..
Loving Life...

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Never too busy to go camping
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 01:10:33 PM »
I've hired a lot of people, and had to apply for a few jobs in my time as well.

Don't downgrade your qualifications, address that concern up front with the interviewer. Back in the Tech Wreck of 2001 I got a "don't come Monday", and after spending a month applying for every job, I walked into the local hardware, filled in the application and got the interview. The manager asked me the same question, and I answered honestly that I didn't plan to be there for the rest of my life but I would give them the benefit of all my experience whilst I was there. I worked there for about three months, became a manager and got promoted to the Head Office group.

In my current role we have a crap position of project dogs body. We used to hire older ladies with no career aspirations, thinking they would put up with it, but this was never satisfactory (our fault, not theirs). Instead we decided to get hotshot grads straight out of uni, knowing they weren't going to stick around but also knowing they would learn fast an excel whilst with us. Never once regretted that approach.

Even now I have a bunch of Gen Ys who work for me and everyone of them is a star in the making, as good a worker as one could meet.

Good luck in your search, don't sweat the jobs you missed out on, just keep looking for the manager/employer who values experience.

I agree with your take here!!

Nicely written!

Good luck with your hunt my friend, its never easy to be told you are not required when it is obvious you could contribute with an exceptional amount of efficiency, logic and  gusto!!

Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!