Author Topic: my Peronal little rant  (Read 9897 times)

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
my Peronal little rant
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »
I took a redundancy at the end of January, and had a bit of time off, before starting to look for another job.

I was not really worried what sort of work I did as I did OK out of my redundancy (no debt)
I was in a logitics role which included a fair amount of contact with customers.

Anyway I have been for a few interviews and applied for a number of jobs.

I applied to one of the large hardware chains and went along to the interviews and said all the right things. So got to the final interview.  They asked me why I wanted to work for ---nings, as I had lots of diplomas, certificates and other bits of paper (there words) and was obviously well over skilled for this type of role. To which I replied " after 31 years the company I worked for asked who wanted a redundancy, so I took up the offer.  I decided with this opportunity I would use it as a bit of a sea change and do something completely different.  A few members of my family work in other stores and they comment on how good the team work is and I feel it is something I would like to be a part off"   They also asked me what is the most difficult thing you have had to deal with at work, my reply " a serious motor vehicle accident involving death"  that stunned them they didn't know to say.  they then proceeded to ask a number of other questions about team work and stuff and asked me twice more why I wanted to work for them, to which I gave the same sort of reply.

I didn't get the job.  About a few weeks later I went to get some stuff from the same store when i drove i to their timber yard and was told no the yard is full you can't come in, so fair enough I parked in the car park, walked into the timber section to locate the timber I wanted then went inside to pick up a few other things before I went back to get the timber. As i came out of the timber section the same knuckle head says "what didn't you believe me when I said the timber yard was full.  I explained that i wanted to locate the timber I wanted before i got the other stuff.  I thanked them for there customer service.

WHY WAS I CONSIDERED NOT SUITABLE TO WORK THERE ?

I also applied for a casual job at A Boating Camping and Fishing store. I have been boating camp and fishing most of my 52 years. I didn't get a job there either.  I also went there to get some stuff.  It took me a while to find a disinterested 16 Troglodyte and he was useless and no idea of anything. 

So again I ask :- WHY WAS I CONSIDERED NOT SUITABLE TO WORK THERE ?

These mobs give no feed back about job applications even when asked and are hopeless.

These people don't care about what they do, so why keep em ? 

so endith my rant.

cheers

Pete

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: my Peronal little rant
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=10728

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:28:35 AM »
your not a 16-18yo trogulite!

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:29:58 AM »
These mobs give no feed back about job applications even when asked and are hopeless.

These people don't care about what they do, so why keep em ? 
Are you honestly asking? You sound smarter than that.

these nuffys will work for bare min wage... I mean BARE min...
Anyone smarter than the manager doesnt stand a chance.... which wouldnt be hard to be smarter than
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »
Do I have to remind the arm-chair experts that everybody has to start somehwere. You can't expect a 16 year old to know the same as you when you have twice or in Lost's case three times the life experience.

Look on the positive side, you have no debt. I would love to be able to chuck in my job and work for ARB, BCF, Rays etc but alas I have mouths to clothe and feed.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
Had a similar thing quite a few years ago mate, left 1 company, and needed work so applied at a Canvas maker where a friend worked, turned up for interview dressed in nice slacks, tie and shirt and resume, manager took 1 look at me and said, " geez your over qualified and over dressed to work here, why would you want to work here". I told him I wanted a job. so he gave me a job.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Lowndsey

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
If they think you are overquailfied then they think it is only a matter of time before you get bored with doing more menial tasks and you will soon leave.

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:45:24 AM »
im 47 and have been through the same thing with the same companies .

i would love to work for the companies mentioned and i have 10 years of customer service exp and well over 20 years building industry exp and have camped and fished for well over 30 years .

yes u have to give pimple faced teenagers a start but that shouldnt mean that the older people have to miss out .ie the right person for the job . if they want to train up a young kid then by all means employ and train up a kid .BUT advertise for a traineeship not for a team member

craig

oh and im still looking for work  ;D

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:54:23 AM »
I hope it all works out for you Pete, A sea change is like a breath of fresh air! Maybe they were intimidated by your qualifications?

Cheers
Rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »
You need to downgrade your qualifications from what you have to what they want, I did and got the job I went for, a truck driver/Hiab operator ;D

I am now a Storeman and relaxing till retirement ;D

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline fitzyfootlong

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:09:58 PM »
I think you have to be *special* to work at a place like this.. The managers were probably scared that someone with hald a brain would be looking for their job.. They did you a favour mate. get into a small family business, at least they will appreciate you.
Loving Life...

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
There loss..
If you work for a ........farmers company long enough you'll learn to disslike them.
Lets do some roll acting and petending , oh goodie. And don't forget to ask would you like choclates with that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:11:59 PM by dno »
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 04:38:29 PM »
I've hired a lot of people, and had to apply for a few jobs in my time as well.

Don't downgrade your qualifications, address that concern up front with the interviewer. Back in the Tech Wreck of 2001 I got a "don't come Monday", and after spending a month applying for every job, I walked into the local hardware, filled in the application and got the interview. The manager asked me the same question, and I answered honestly that I didn't plan to be there for the rest of my life but I would give them the benefit of all my experience whilst I was there. I worked there for about three months, became a manager and got promoted to the Head Office group.

In my current role we have a crap position of project dogs body. We used to hire older ladies with no career aspirations, thinking they would put up with it, but this was never satisfactory (our fault, not theirs). Instead we decided to get hotshot grads straight out of uni, knowing they weren't going to stick around but also knowing they would learn fast an excel whilst with us. Never once regretted that approach.

Even now I have a bunch of Gen Ys who work for me and everyone of them is a star in the making, as good a worker as one could meet.

Good luck in your search, don't sweat the jobs you missed out on, just keep looking for the manager/employer who values experience.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »
I guess everyone has been pretty well spot on. The managers were obviously very intimidated by your experience and that is their problem, not yours. We have all had 6unn1ng$ experiences where you feel like you have to converse in monosyllabic grunts for the staff to understand you. I personally like the badges they put on people like "Plumbing expert". I asked the guy who had that on was he a plumber and he said "no, management just told me to wear it". OH YEAH!! I love explaining to the "experts" what something is :cup: :cheers:

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »
If your looking to get a job & you get an interview dont be affraid to ask the hard questions .
At the end of the time ask them  " How did I go  ? " Take control of the conversation " When can I start ?
It goes like this
 1 , we will think about it ,,,
2 , What do you want to think about ,,,? is it my background , experiance ,ability , comitment what ?
( stuff them make them squrm for a bit , If you dont get the job you tried  )
3 If they want to think about it are they the decision maker as to who gets the job ?  Yes/ No if its not you   Who ?. Get the name then ask to meet with them ? Watch your power with questions rattle thier cage .
You came in with nothing leave with something .
Play hard ball its fun let me tell you .
Dont let some arse covering grunt put you off     >:D Go Get Um  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »
Must get an interview just to try that! sounds like a heap of fun. Stuff knows what I would do if I got the job though ???

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:03 PM »
Yea, you are far to qualified and a threat to their empire, well the supervisor anyway. I'd also dumb down your CV and while that may suck you can apply your skills once in the door
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »

I have had many job titles over the years and loved them all (to a point).  If I no longer enjoyed the job, I moved on to something more entertaining for me, challenging even.  I list everything I've done on my resume.  It shows that I can easily change my attitude and knuckle down to do something totally different ... the length of employment shows how much I liked it.

Don't sell yourself short.  Why would you want to work for "The place I don't speak of" anyway?  Because you think it's easy?  Late nights and supervisors who don't give a rats about anything but meeting their budget.  Managers who say they are approachable, but then don't listen to anyone but their boss?  Everyone but those (poor unfortunate) 16 year olds can do better than that.

Decide what you really want to do and would be very happy doing and attend only those interviews that get you there.  Same advice I give everyone.  Do what makes YOU happy and it's a joy to endure the hours between arrival and departure.  It's more than "just getting a job to survive" isn't it?  Attitude makes all the difference. 

And if those people didn't want to hire you ... well ... they will never know what they are missing ...  ;D

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 10:54:18 PM »
Don't sell yourself short

I do agree with that Kit_e. I was thinking that if he needed or really wnated the job then that maybe an option. I think what you posted is right on.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 06:11:48 AM »
Hey Pete, I was around your age when I had a similar situation. I was made to feel like my use by date was up. Here in
Adelaide there is an org. called DOME (Don't Overlooke Mature Expertise). Had 2 offers referred within 3 days and I'm still (subby) to the same company.

Maybe there's some similar (or same) org. up your way.
Cheers Glenn

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 08:40:10 AM »
or you could try Don't Underestimate Mature Blokes!! Ha Ha Ha

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »
You can't expect 16 year olds to have all the knowledge that we "older people" possess, BUT you would think that they would want to actually learn!

NO not them, they seem to think that the world owes them a living.

Hem
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:15:14 AM by HEM19X »
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 11:05:37 PM »
The one that makes me wonder is when they run an add for workers that is worded some thing like " wanted experienced juniors"
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 01:11:40 PM »
The one that makes me wonder is when they run an add for workers that is worded some thing like " wanted experienced juniors"
Sounds similar to "Military Intelligence"!!

Offline solidute

• Soft Floor Camper User
my Peronal little rant
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 12:07:39 AM »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:45:06 PM by solidute »