Author Topic: Cheaper Hard floor Campers (Are they any good?)  (Read 13895 times)

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
Cheaper Hard floor Campers (Are they any good?)
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:02:47 AM »
The cheaper hard floor campers are they any good?

I'm on the hunt at this moment and I live in Darwin, so I will have to do a remote order..  and have it shipped..

I am after a lighter camper, as I will be towing with a 2.5l diesel Pathfinder

There is the GIC Outback Rover recommended price $12800

http://giccampertrailers.com.au/new-outback-rover/
Looks simple enough -- Rang them today and they quote Trailer weight: 700kg with tent and mattress

Adrenalin Campers

http://www.adrenalincampers.com.au
Look really nice with interdependent suspension (Although not sure just how heavy duty that suspension is.)

The weight is 760Kg I think that the pricing is somewhere between $10000 to $13000 mark..

Liberty Camper Trailers

The Liberty Sport @ $14990   
They are quoting weight of 600kg -- but I later read that's 600kg without the drawbar  weird..
Liberty Campers also do kits which they claim can save about $3000 off the price ..  They claim that they are simple to put together ..  but hey a camper is heavy to lift and get the suspension together etc..   

Ezytrail campers hard floor camper

http://www.enztrading.com.au/products/CAMPER-TRAILER-(HARD-FLOOR).html
Trailer Net weight: 710kg (Tent Excluded)
I have been watching these on Ebay dropping at well below $7000

With all of these Campers about and different companies, does anyone have any good or bad news about them?

Cheers
Mark

Offline davidy61

• Tent User
  • Jayco Poptop
Re: Cheaper Hard floor Campers (Are they any good?)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:55:14 AM »
We have a Liberty camper.  If you are a good handyman and can bring up to full spec, it is okay.  Remember, it is a budget camper and you get what you pay for.  chinese import, made up locally

Personally, if you can manage it, I think you would be better off spending the same money on a much better quality soft floor.  We have a hard floor because of my arthritis, very few pegs and manhandling with a hard floor, so for us it's good but there are many things we have had to fix and/or adjust, and not be handy myself, it has been hard.

Cheers
David

2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 with 2" lift and other goodies

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »
Really depends whether you want to stick to the tar or do a few dirt roads or tackle the real outback corrugated dirt tracks etc ??

Don't expect the cheaper ones to tackle the "hard" stuff...

I breifly looked over the GIC hard floor and I'd feel safer in a tent !!! >:D >:D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 10:38:57 AM »
My consideration would be for a soft floor, if you are still thinking of a budget hard floor I would strongly recommend you have a look yourself and see if that quality suits you.  A lot of the cheaper hard floors I looked at didnt have the quality or enough storage space compared to the soft floor ones.  As you go up in price their quality does get much better.

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:45:57 AM »
I believe Adrenalin and Pinickle campers have the same model on sale. Have not seen them in the flesh but looking at some of the pics they are not what i would call, heavy duty, in particular the way the tent hinges off the frame and alike.

I believe GIC might be the case aswell.

Liberty, stay away unless your a good handy man.

Pending your budget, there are a few rear fold soft floor campers and i know that Xtrail is in the process of developing one as we speak but i believe price is going to be mid 15K

HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
"Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Offline Campa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:30:25 PM »

A 2nd hand, better known hard floor brand camper can somtimes be found for around that price.

CIG hard floor .......... >:D

after reading a few post on here from CIG owners I'ld be staying clear.  >:D >:D >:D

Offline blackstump

• ''LIFES TO SHORT TO BE SMALL''
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »
Theres a Pioneer in the classifieds section of the forum for $14000....food for thought mate.

:cheers:

IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:45:12 PM »
blackstump beat me to the punch on that Pioneer. Here's the link http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=12175.0

There are some real beauties in the MySwag trader. Including a very nice soft floor off roader for $9000.  :cup:

Speaking as a bloke who is the 3rd owner of a Kimberley Kamper I'm a huge fan of recycled camper trailers. You can get a real bargain on quality kit that will not let you down.  :cheers:

There's enough warnings on those cheap & nasty new hardfloors to make alarms ring loudly in my head. They're not what I'd wish to take down a dirt track let alone off road.  :-[

But to each his own. One man's misery can be another man's adventure.  :laugh:

Cheers - Wayne
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »
Theres a Pioneer in the classifieds section of the forum for $14000....food for thought mate.

I've been camping with the owner and there is nothing wrong with it....just priced to sell !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:00:05 PM »
complete campsite have released (or are about to) a range of hardfloors - if they are anywhere nears as good as their softfloors they would be worth looking at. No idea about price though
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline blackstump

• ''LIFES TO SHORT TO BE SMALL''
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »
I've been camping with the owner and there is nothing wrong with it....just priced to sell !!

Would be a great pick up for someone in the market gronk !

IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 12:26:03 AM »

Great looking camper for it's price, it's a pity it's not in Darwin, I would probably have bought it by now.. 

Cheers
Mark

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 11:58:08 AM »
before reading this thread i had never heard of Adrenalin, and after looking at their website i noticed they had a stand at the Rosehill camping show.  was so impressed with the product in the flesh and the guy's building them i've ordered one of their new "rush" models. best part of it is they are just down the road from me in McGraths Hill

Having looked at 2nd hand hard floor campers for nearly 18 months it's clear to me that people with 10 year old Cubs and Campomatics etc think they can get (and obviously do) just as much or more than what they paid for them in the first place, and not really wanting a soft floor camper that takes up more room than my 3 bedroom house i was forced to look at the so called cheaper imports........well from what i see all the important bits (suspension, frame etc) of the Adrenalin are made here in NSW and while it's finish might not be as polished as the big brands, it gives me something I can add to and make into our own personal camper over the years I'm expecting it to last

Roll on July when we can pick it up

2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

crackacoldie

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »

x2.  I would be looking at this before any of the cheaper brands.

:cheers: Cracka

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »
Re Pioneer.   Think you'll find it's sold..
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:24:06 PM by dno »
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Never too busy to go camping
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »
Im convinced the campers compared in this thread are from the same manufacturer in China.

I paid $6000.00 for mine (like the ones shown on ebay) and love it.

Put in a nice two burner stove top, wired in some led lights and a battery, chucked away the nasty winch, jockey wheel and water pump and wired in a battery and solar set up.

Ive now been away with people from this forum as well as friends who all have nice fancy and obviously more expensive units... their quality is definitely better.. but I have worked with a budget... and am doing everything the guys are doing with their (nice and comfy) KK's, TVans, cubs and Pioneers. Dont get me wrong, I WANT a nice camper, but my camper made by "DILLIGAF CAMPERS" is just fine for a year or three.

I figure as I save for a nice KK or equivalent, my "El Cheapo" will get me out there and happy in the mean time.

PM me for honest info... or read my threads that I have posted re my cheap nasty Chinese import unit!

Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 11:59:35 PM »
I changed my mind about the cheaper hard floor camper -- and went on the line of a extremely well built alloy off road trailer with a gal frame, extended draw bar, off road suspension, a tonneau cover, side opening rear door, with shelf, 500mm exteneded sides, a specialized roof rack to hold the roof top camper, Jerry can holders, Poly coupling, new 16" Rims and tires with Spare included, decent dropdown jacks

The project cost about $8800 by the time I put it all together (Darwin NT pricing) There is a thread on how I put it together
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=12356.0
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:55:58 PM by cyberess »