Author Topic: Darwin to Uluru  (Read 2151 times)

Offline KATOA

• Learning the Ropes
Darwin to Uluru
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
Hi

We are planning a trip from Darwin to Uluru in July and were wondering if anyone has any recommendations on places to stay (or avoid) during the trip.  We have 3 small boys - under 8 - so five hours driving per day would definatly be the limit of the boys and our patience in the car!!

Thanks

Harding Family - Nissan Pathfinder ST-L 06 - Jayco Eagle Outback 09

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Darwin to Uluru
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:17:16 PM »
Calling NTPryce
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:15:54 PM »

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:52:01 AM »
G'day Katoa

Are you wanting to do some side trips along the way? There are some good camp sites in Litchfield NP, such as Buley Rockhole. Robin Falls is a bit south of Litchfield NP - only done a day visit, and the sites seem ok, but not brilliant - they are right along the road that goes in to the falls.

A bit further south again is the Douglas Daly Tourist Park - I'd recommend that over the camp site right at the Douglas Hot Springs, which is a bit exposed with not much shade and pretty dusty. The Tourist Park is great, and only 10 minutes to the hot springs. It's probably about 2 hours south of Darwin, and will be the first place we go to to test out our new Aussie Swag 8)

At the bottom end of Kakadu NP are a few good spots - Gunlom and Koolpin Gorge being the top two. But they're both a good hour + off the highway, so definitely not worth it if your aim is to head south as quickly as possible.

Next stop - Katherine. If you must stay in Katherine, I'd go for either Springvale Homestead, a bit out of town, or Knotts Crossing in town, but the preference would be Edith Falls in Nitmiluk NP well before Katherine or at Katherine Gorge itself.

Can't comment on Mataranka as I haven't been there, but definitely can comment on the Devil's Marbles near Tennant Creek - that's a must see!

There are plenty of rest stops along the side of the highway, none too flash, but they do the job. Can't really comment much further south as we've basically done 8-12 hours a day to get out of the territory, the Kulgera Roadhouse has some good facilities though, but is a bit exposed and trucks come in and out at all hours.

Hope that helps. Don't forget to book if at all possible!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:28:12 AM »
Humpty Doo pub ...... if you like the pub from Crocodile Dundee :D

Litchfield is a must we spent a week at Sandy Creek.

Kakadu ..... Yellow Waters is a must. Do either or both a sunrise or sunset cruise on the billabong. The resort there is large and well catered plus it has several pools :D

Devils Marbles is a must also camp right amongst them and watch the sun set / rise over these very interesting formations. There is a very unusual feeling about the place. (bring your own wood as it can get very cool at night)

Daly Waters pub .... great food, swimming pool, camp next door, WW2 air field near by, only 6k's off the Stuart high way :D

Mataranka .... the hot springs are great and there is a tourist park right there. It's only a couple ok K's out of town.

Tenant Creek ..... the safest place on that stretch of the Stuart high way though I am big and ugly and I didn't feel to safe ..... definitely don't stop at Elliot !!!!

Three Ways road house good spot to drop in to get fuel and read a little bit about the history of this iconic truck stop.

West McDonald ranges is a must .... Glen Helen Gorge you camp right in front of it. Must be seen to be believed. You can also do helicopter fights from there very spectacular. Also if you want to treat your self and the wife we highly recommend "Dinner under the Stars" at Kings Canyon.

Oh and you must also drive the extra 60K’s past the rock to check out the Olgers …. Amazing.

You could spend a couple of months easy doing this drive :D

yogi
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:53:11 PM by yogi »