Author Topic: Transporting a Canoe  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
Transporting a Canoe
« on: February 21, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »
I am currently looking at buying a canoe. I have decided on the canadian type.
My question is, what size is a managable size for 2 people? And still be usefull for throwing in some crab pots/fishing/just exploring around?

I will be carrying it on my Lifestyle camper trailer. The overall length of the camper trailer is about 4200, allowing for clearance form the car at the front, all of a sudden the rear overhang becomes a problem! (from what I can work out on the QLD transport info the max rear overhang is 1.2mt but this seems excessive!)

I started looking for something around 15ft but once I actually measured the trailer, I started to think its not going to work!

Landcruiser 76 wagon V8 T/D

Supreme Getaway pop top 12 ft

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Transporting a Canoe
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 03:20:54 PM »
We went through a canoe stage, and bought a fibreglass canoe which was about 15' long.  We bought a long canoe because we thought it could carry the two adults and two kids in our family, that was our first mistake.  Too long, equals too hard to handle, too hard to store, too wind effected on the water.  The second mistake was buying a fibreglass one, we should have hung out and bought one of the newer plastic type ones, which are a little bit more forgiving with what you can do with them.

The other thing to make sure of is the type of seats which are mounlded into the canoe, try them out and make sure they are comfortable.

So my advice in short would be, don't go too long, get a plastic type, and make sure it has comfortable seats.  And one extra would be a water proof compartment for your valueables when your on the water.

Hope our experience helps narrow the field down for you.

Our too long canoe has since been moved on.  Have you considered the wide ski type things.  Perhaps buy two.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:22:40 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:31:41 PM »
Thanks Gunna,

WHat you had was exactly what I have been looking to buy!
Back to the drawing board after reading your post. I want to be able to carry it on the camper racks, and seeing that on your car puts the size bit into perspective!

Will re-think the fibleglass bit too. I have been told by a friend who had fibreglass and a plastic one that the fibreglass one paddled much easier. Not sure what brand his plastic one was though.

I just dont want to go too small and have it be too unstable.

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 03:36:48 PM »
Mate the size I quoted is only rough, but it would be fairly close, and I would think almost impossible to transport on the camper.

The plastic canoes now are very tough, and able to bump and scrape past plenty of things which would have a fibreglass one damaged.

Offline hairymick

• Tent User
  • 2010 Nissan Navara D22, 2005 Kimberly Escape
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
G'day Homer,

How handy are you? Have you thoiught about building your own?

Have a look here.

http://www.unclejohns.com/bysk14/Default.htm

or here

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/default.htm

I have built both these fine boats and have to tell you that either one would suit your needs. A couple of sheets of ply and some fibreglass and epoxy resin and a few weekends work - too easy. At the end you will have a better boat that is lighter (much lighter) and stronger than either fibreglass or that other horrid stuff - plastic.

The Bayou Skiff is an exceptional little boat.
Cheers,
Mick

Offline Scolers

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 04:47:20 PM »

Will re-think the fibleglass bit too. I have been told by a friend who had fibreglass and a plastic one that the fibreglass one paddled much easier. Not sure what brand his plastic one was though.

I just dont want to go too small and have it be too unstable.

I've had both plastic and fibre glass 'yaks and canoes and will never go back to plastic.  I still have one of my fibreglass yaks and it's 31yrs old and has been on some tough trips.

Re. the canoe size ... my canadian was 16ft and was great for estuaries and rivers.  A tad too long for anything beyond grade 2-3 white water but a terrific fishing craft.

The canoe could not fit on our camper trailer (which was a 7ft x 4ft box trailer with bits and pieces added) but fitted comfortabley (and legally) on the Cruiser.

Hope this helps somewhat.

8)

Scol.
veni vidi vici

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »
We went through a similar phase a few years back, and got a 2-person plastic kayak. Long story short - too heavy to get on the roof easily, too hard to steer in the wind, and too big to enjoy solo. Alot better than a Canadian style, but still a hassle.

Traded it on a couple of solo plastic kayaks in "his & hers" sizes, and all problems solved.

Oh, plus, you know the fairer sex will splash you if you let them in the front, or not paddle if they're in back.... 8)

Sorry if not what you're after, but with a jetty in the back yard I've had plenty of chances to try different options and still love the solo kayaks. They've got nice adjustable seats, waterproof hatches etc and are easy/comfy to paddle.

Have fun with whatever you get.

Cheers,

Canoe Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »
I have a sit-on-top plastic kayak, be happy to sell it to you, in all honesty I find it uncomfortable.

I picked up this Inflatable 2-man kayak from Graysonline. Seems pretty good, and packs down into a bag so easy to carry and store. It weighs about 22kg so one person can lump it, paddle it. Comes with two sectional paddles and a pump as well.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »
Agree with GD.
I had a 12' glass canadian with an outboard mount.
Good to fish from but easily blown around, heavy and easily damaged.

http://www.akff.net/forum/

for all the good info on (very) small boat fishing ;D
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 06:17:31 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
I think I am now more confused! Ha Ha Ha

I might try and "test drive" a few first before I make a decision.

I have come to the conclusion that a 15" glass canoe is out of the question.

Offline StevenM

• Tent User
  • Yep thats my swag
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 06:43:03 AM »
Go Plastic

its a whole lot more forgiving.

Offline V8ute

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 06:56:34 AM »
I have a old town ss predator 150. All plastic construction, built in bouyancy(wont sink),light, with 3 sitbacker seats. Awesome canoe for paddling and having a square stern when you get sick of paddling crank on the 4.5 hp 4 stroke and sit back. Plastic is the way to go.
08 Cruiser ute, 10 Outback Eagle.
Loaded ready to roll

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 09:14:18 PM »
Glass boats are good in that the weight helps give them momentum so once started they paddle well and inertia so they don't wander off course with each stroke. They are a pig to to load and unload though. I have a glass canoe I goy for nothing and restored. It weighs around 70kg so is difficult to load and unload alone, but once in the water I can paddle it quite easily in a in a straight line. Plastic ones can wander a bit and get blown around

A longer canoe will cut through the water will less resistance but can be difficult to turn. Everything is a trade off.

Personally, for fishing and poking around, I'd go one of the dedicated fishing surf ski type ones. They aren't good for long paddles but are stable and great for getting out on the water to throw in a line. Kids like them as you can't sink them getting in and out so they can jump in, climb out, jump in etc.
I was out on Wivenhoe dam and saw 2 blokes on one with 6 of 7 opera houst traps stacked on the front and a 20L bucket on the back.

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:33:34 AM »
For something a bit different, check out the Hobie Kayaks http://www.hobiecat.com.au/kayaks/

They are an AWESOME bit of kit if you like fishing and/or photography, as they are basically a pedal craft so you can go hands free. Very stable, very strong, not too big and not too small. And they can also be fitted with a sail.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
If the Mirage drives from Hobie weren't that expensive...............
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar