Author Topic: Prado 120 Series 'Safari' Snorkel  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
Prado 120 Series 'Safari' Snorkel
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »
Does anyone have instruction sheet or fitting diagrams for fitting a Prado 120 series Safari Snorkel?

Want to fit like this...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42561&page=3   (scroll down)

And, before Speewa asks, ... no, I don't have the decals!  >:D

Think I'll look at some sort of suction cup on windscreen, rather than the stainless steel bracket screwed to the 'A' pillar.

What are those fancy plastic jiggers for clamping stuff to roof racks and rear wheels, etc?  One of them might adapt to hold pipe to suction cup...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:28:13 PM by barry1956 »
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Prado 120 Series 'Safari' Snorkel
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:02:39 AM »
Barry1956   Just wondering do you have the snorkel now or is this a mod you are looking into  ???.
The link spoke of LHD Sube  & said it dodnt block the drivers vision much , its going to be differant on your drivers side  , might be an idea to inquire with Vic roads & your insurence Co before you start the project . Also the flow rate of air being rammed into your motor could change things a bit . the volume has been worked out for a 3.5L V6 or Oiler  , Iook in to how this could affect you rig . After all that chop away right hand front mudguards  are cheap fron the wreckers so I hear . & 1 other thing  :worthles:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:57:26 AM »
Just buy a Prado Barry and you'll acheive what you want to do  :4x4:
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »
Speewa,
I know several Foresters fitted with RHS snorkels with no probs.  If necessary will do a bit of bending to get it real close to the pillar angle.  Yep, have thought about a 2nd hand guard as well.

Redback,
Nah, I prefer my 'six stars' to the Toymota badge.  Besides, next time I want to swim the Avon with you!  8)
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
Barry if & or when you put the snork on the Subie will it adjust the resale of saids same . When you do drastic mods as this there will be few that will want the rig . Also consider the wading depth of any electronic gear in the rig . Top breath is 1 thing but a small leak could leave you dead in the water , with more than wet carpet . :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »
Barry if & or when you put the snork on the Subie will it adjust the resale of saids same . When you do drastic mods as this there will be few that will want the rig . Also consider the wading depth of any electronic gear in the rig . Top breath is 1 thing but a small leak could leave you dead in the water , with more than wet carpet . :cheers:
Speewa, you are dead right on those points.  It is easy to get carried away and build something that no-one else will value.  Every lowered Statesman  / ricer with huge stainless exhaust is a case in point.

The rationale of my build:

1/.  My 'thing' is to build a small 'expedition' vehicle.  
By definition, it is a compromise, but it will mostly be driven solo, so a LWB big oiler would just be overkill for me.  Anyway, I regard it as a 'keeper' - looking at getting 10 years fun out of it, and I didn't buy new, so don't have depreciation to factor in.  >:D
2/.  The 'mods' I am doing will be as reversible as possible.  e.g. My rear carriers can be 'un-welded' from the rear hitch cross member, using one of those nifty high rev spinning wheel things ... ;D   The CB in the dash can be removed and replaced with the original 'sunglasses pocket'.
3/.   Consistent with 2/.  I am thinking of getting a 2nd hand front right guard from a wreckers, as per your earlier post. AM looking at using a suction cup on the outside of the windscreen to mount the snorkel bracket - rather than screwing to the pillar, as I said.
4/.  I don't really want to go 'swimming', primarily want to avoid 'hydro-locking' due to the really poor location of the air intake, just above the grill on the rhs.  (Will fit thermo fan shut off switch, with buzzer  ;D as well, so the fans don't 'speed boat' into the fan!)
5/.  Other mods will be aluminium front bar, LSD rear diff and better low ratio gears.

Anyway, most of these mods could be reversed if I wanted to sell - I even still have the original springs.

However, I agree with your general principle, certainly wouldn't be doing this to a NEW Outback - the Gen 5 is cr@p to raise anyway, so mine is the last worth playing with!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:16:33 PM by barry1956 »

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:11:17 PM »
Barry, I reckon you could quite successfully glue to the windscreen without any permanent side effects. The challenge will be to create a bracket that is acceptable to the eye that allows enough purchase for the glue to take. Given the movement of the body, I would use a windscreen sealant - that stuff is seriously tacky on glass.

The suction cap would suffer with changes in temperature (extra cool morning it will draw air in, and when it heats up it's likely to expand).

Just a thought.

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:21:20 PM »
Good point Danbri, another design parameter to think about.  That is half the fun / source of the sense of achievement once it is sorted!