Author Topic: does anyone own a Market Direct Camper?  (Read 11263 times)

Offline Rooman

• Learning the Ropes
does anyone own a Market Direct Camper?
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »
Looking at some camper specials from Market Direct Campers. Does anyone have one? What is the canvas like, have heard its from China and was wondering on the quality. For $6000 the Off Road Extreme Explorer seem a good buy. Any recommendations for campers up to $10,000 would be appreciated as I live in W.A. any in this state would be good. Wife's just started to like camping so would like a good CT to start it off. Thanks

Offline wartim

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: does anyone own a Market Direct Camper?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
I have just bought my 1st CT which is a 2nd hand Aust made camper that is only 4 years old and hardly used.  It came with the good Aust 15oz Dyna Proof canvas, Dura Gal off road trailer with 45mm solid axle, desert dueller tyres on sunraiser rims running on good japenese dual bearings (not single chinese rubbish), 60 litre water tank, basic 12 volt system, kids room off the tow bar side, 8 ft awning with 3 canvas sides and fully screened and king size foam mattress all for $7K.

All I have done is add electirc brakes for $400 plus a P2 controller for $160 for safety and peace of mind and to ensure the trailer meets Main Roads requirements. The CT weighs in at 720KG as is without any water (another 60KG) or camping gear, food and beer so will go well over the legal 750KG limit for unbraked trailers.

To me this is better value and teh resale value much better than buying Chinese and there is plenty of info out there about the cons of buying chinese CT's there also some pros however not very many.

I also found that by doing my reseach over a reasonable period, keeping an excel comparasion table (simialr the the comparision table in the back of Camper Trailer Australia magazine) for easy referance of features and costs, attending camping shows and reading this forum I have learnt so much along the way which will really benifit us on our maiden trip and future trips.

Good luck with it.

Offline pajnmaj

• "We grow old if we don't go camping"
  • Tent User
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »
Hi Rooman,

We use to have a market direct camper prior to upgrading to the Cub spacevan. We got rid of the market direct camper due to the poor quality of the canvas, which leaked considerably after rain drenching our beddding everytime. This is even after seasoning repeatedly. Otherwise the camper itself was reasonable for this price bracket. We did debate in fitting a new tent to the camper but set up was not suited to our young family. I recommend getting a camper which has Australian top quality canvas fitted.

Pajnmaj
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Off to do more camping we go.

Aussie Spirit

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 01:18:59 AM »
Hi Rooman, Yes I do own a Market Direct CT model I have is the Gal extreme, I have had no problems with it at all. The tent size is huge and I have had it out in very bad wether just before Xmas and did not suffer any leaks, the trailer tows very well, and was very easy to set up. PM me if you would like to chat on the phone to discuss the options.

Offline Followme1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Follow Me Campers
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:44:53 AM »
Buy a secondhand Australian made it will last many more years than any China made camper. Ring me and I will tell you a story

George
http://www.followmecampers.com.au

Offline danbo81

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:20:45 PM »
I have a offroad deluxe market direct love it no problems no leaks tows great and is a good size for my young family
Cheers Dan

Offline dazzawhipple

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »
Well when we were looking for a CT we looked at new china made stuff and second-hand Australian made CT

We went for a used Ozzie made one in the end......a mate got a new Ozzie made one, and that's been back 3-4 times

You take your chance, but if its new you want and in its budget buy it
Landrover Discovery 3 Auto.......spec changing will update later

2015 Forward fold MDC Cruiser

Offline Rooman

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
I have a offroad deluxe market direct love it no problems no leaks tows great and is a good size for my young family
whats the trailer workmanship like?

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 04:53:09 AM »
You can also poke about the tent top makers & find a setup that works then have a trailker built to suit the tent . Thats the way I did it . Or lookat preloved more bang for the buck . In preloved look past the marks on the canvas , stone chips on the paint work , see the adventures its had . you will do worse to it . The mods are done & its aproven unit  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline JethroT

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 08:07:43 AM »
We bought one about twelve month ago.  It wasn't an offroad version but we dragged it everywhere.  

Can't comment on the longevity of them as we upgraded to a Goldstream but the finish was not pretty.

We didn't have the cash for a quality trailer at the time, but we had a fat time camping in it and it was the best $3200 we ever spent. 

Regards
Geoff
Regards, Geoff and Michele

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »
I have one and for the money and what and where we go, it's good. The trailer is Aus made with ours. ;D

We, like a lot of others don't have much money and this gives us the joy we want with camping and not much outlay. Also have tents for over night stays if needed.

So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline danbo81

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 10:42:04 PM »
whats the trailer workmanship like?
yeah its good i dont think id pull it to ayers rock  but we just camp up and down the coast and on local islands and its great for what we do the trailers an aus trailer seems strong the welds look good
Cheers Dan

Offline way-t-go

• Tent User
    • Our Camper Trailer
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »
I've got one and the Canvas has never leaked. It has rained every time we go camping except for one occasion. There is heaps of room and big windows. The trailer is aussie made with very good welds and new tyres. The only down side would be some of the steel had sharp edges on it from where it has been cut with a cutoff saw and the sharp edges weren't ground off. I just filed these edges and sprayed them with some Hammertone charcoal Rust Guard which is a very close match to the original paint.
We love it, it's great value for money.
Gary
2009 'MDC' Off Road Deluxe Camper with more mods than you can poke a stick at.
2010 Mitsubishi PB Challenger Auto

Offline howze

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »
[ stay away they are no good go australian quality

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »
Have you looked at GIC campers? A work colleague has the off road version (bought it for about $6k, I'm not 100% sure on what they paid) and is happy with it. They advertise a lot in 4WD Craption a lot.

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »
[ stay away they are no good go australian quality

I think we need a little more info/justification re your comments.
You can't just say they are crap if you want people to appreciate your viewpoint.

Offline JethroT

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
The good thing about a cheap camper is that you don't worry about it too much, drag it anywhere flat out, set it up and have a good time.

With our new pride an joy I spend a lot more time making sure everything is ok and the awning is straight, while the next bloke in his cheap toy is sitting down enjoying a beer and and wondering if I really am a w#nker.

Each to his own.

Regards
Geoff 
Regards, Geoff and Michele

Offline howze

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »
most off market direct trailers come from china in 40ft containers and they are bolted together in Brisbane.
there is no Quality control at all
the canvas is or as they say 15ounce its not
 you will be really  lucky if you get 4 years out off it
they come out off china for around $1000 USD each so you really do get what you pay for 

and at the end off the day you are better off spending a bit more money and get Australian made
 be proud off it it least on a re sale you will get some money back
 not like a market direct trailer who go under different names like campertrailersaustralia there eBay id they sell on there to
i would say that they are a all round Shit trailer and i would not wast my money

Offline haywas

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »
I have  inherited a market direct from the outlaws.  I towed it from Gold Coast back to Canberra and it was a dream.  Yes, there are areas that need a little attention, but my local trailer maker has taken a look and for a minor amount will strengthen it up. I had my brother who is a boiler maker by trade take a look, and he was pretty happy with it.  He built his own trailer for around the 1600 dollar mark, without the top.  I am happy with doing the odd bits and pieces to it and looking to mod it up.  I have seen some other brands which are recommended here, and will comment that just because someone is heavy on the advertising, doesn't make them that much better.  Best inform yourself at a show where all the brands are lined up.  It is pretty amazing how many are the same in quality.  I also believe that you do get what you pay for, but that a persons personal circumstances shouldn't keep them out of seeing the world and enjoying life.  If all you can afford is something cheap, go for it and make the most of it.  As for making others feel as if they are second rate because of the cash they spend on a camper, well.........

Anyway, all welcome to their own opinions

Steve

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
  I also believe that you do get what you pay for, but that a persons personal circumstances shouldn't keep them out of seeing the world and enjoying life.  If all you can afford is something cheap, go for it and make the most of it.  As for making others feel as if they are second rate because of the cash they spend on a camper, well.........

Anyway, all welcome to their own opinions

haywas,

good onya mate, top response  :cup:

jack