Author Topic: Bike rack for Goldstream Storm camper - advice please  (Read 3813 times)

Offline jc

• Learning the Ropes
Bike rack for Goldstream Storm camper - advice please
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
Hi, my family and I are setting off on a 3 month trip up the east coast of Oz, departing Melbourne.
We are trying to figure out how to carry our bikes (2 adult bikes).
Don't think we can carry them on the tow ball as will be too close to car, and can't really put them on top of car or caravan as they will be too tall (drive a Kluger and camper is off road and nearly as high as the car).
Saw a rack that goes on the spare tyre but the manufacturers specifically say its not for use on the back of caravans.
Is there any other way of mounting them safely on the back of the camper, and ideally positioning them so that we don't have to take them off to set up the beds??
Or any other ideas?
Would love to get some advice on this matter from experienced campers!
Thanks

Online Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
Re: Bike rack for Goldstream Storm camper - advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »
Picture here of a Goldstram with rear bike racks:

http://www.ronshirl.net/Goldstream_Camper.htm

Id imagine its a specially built bumper mount.

What do goldstream say?

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline jc

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:49:30 PM »
Thanks - I saw that pic but on further research (fiamma) realised that this setup is more suitable for rear of car rather than rear of van.
Goldstream didn't recommend racks on rear of van - said some people have had them come off while travelling. They recommended a Bern’s Beaks bike rack that is connected to the car via towball.
Main problem with these is that we can't unload car without taking off bike rack first .. grr!
Perhaps I'm looking for something that doesn't exist!?!

Online Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
Main problem with these is that we can't unload car without taking off bike rack first .. grr!
Perhaps I'm looking for something that doesn't exist!?!

Yeah. I know what youre saying.

We did a central oz trip back in 1990, whre we had the regular tow ball mounted bike rack installed in front of the 6x4 trailer behind the VN commodore wagon.  Every time we needed to open the wagon tail gate or detach teh trailer we had to unload the bikes (two)..  It was a PITA but we got used to it.

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Knight44

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 08:20:57 AM »
Just a thought. If you don't have jerry can holders on the rear, you might be able to move the bumper bar/spare wheel mount rearwards and put the bikes between the spare and the back of the camper.

The two arms of the bumper are held in place by bolts, and on our Crown, the entire bumper has been moved rearwards to accommodate the jerry can holders.