Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260566 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #475 on: February 01, 2015, 10:29:40 PM »

It is really quite easy to put the tarp up.   Two person, job tent pole in each corner of one end and walking it over the whole camper.  Use the front awning poles to secure the front and then pole and peg down.  Takes a couple of minutes while the Bride get the other things sorted. 

Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #476 on: February 02, 2015, 08:01:01 AM »
Thanks ainjan.

Do you lift up higher than the annex - ie by putting tennis balls on the top spike? Which is what I am planning.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #477 on: February 02, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
Just remembered when the father in law sets his Cub up he attaches the leading each of the tarp to the front of the floor and as the Cub opens it pulls the tarp over with it. 

As far as lifting the tarp to act as a tropical roof over the whole cub/awning, we have tried a number of different things with no success, mainly as we could never get something to lift the tarp of the middle.  The next step is to take the awning off and using poles and spreaders to lift the tarp off the canvas. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline beigewagon

• Swag User
« Reply #478 on: February 08, 2015, 07:15:52 PM »
Thanks Beigewagon,
Is your protector canvas?

Cheers Simmo

Simmo,

Sorry for the slow reply. No our cover is not canvas, it is a polyester type material that is water proof, but also breathes. The other half bought it at Harris Scarf. I have also seen them at Clark Rubber.

Beigewagon.
Flat four, not flat footed

Offline kleyny

• Swag User
« Reply #479 on: March 24, 2015, 07:44:29 PM »

Anyone got a drifter the wind up style?
I have a 95 model and I just rebuilt the beds.
I just want to ask if the roof closes all the way down or you have to pull the roof to attach the roof latches.
How thick is your  mattress? I think this may be the issue.

Thanks

Neil
Diff locked TD 80 series.
93 CUB Drifter

Offline Brooklyn

• Swag User
    • Miles from Brooklyn
« Reply #480 on: April 12, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
Hi. I am having an issue with with my Cub. We are traveling in it full time and find we have to reset the tent very frequently. (At least once a week)

We have been thinking about putting removable pins in the center and front tent bows to prevent them from sliding down in the hopes that this eliminates the problem. Has anyone done something like this? Any other suggestions?
American family of 4 traveling around Oz in a 100 Series Land Cruiser and a Cub camper since August 2014.
Follow our journey
Facebook: Miles from Brooklyn
Instagram: milesfrombrooklyn

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #481 on: April 12, 2015, 04:32:40 PM »
Hi. I am having an issue with with my Cub. We are traveling in it full time and find we have to reset the tent very frequently. (At least once a week)

We have been thinking about putting removable pins in the center and front tent bows to prevent them from sliding down in the hopes that this eliminates the problem. Has anyone done something like this? Any other suggestions?

Same here. Ours has started collapsing every time we pack up or put the annexe on or if its sitting around for a few days or if its slightly windy or ....... its annoying. I intend to drill some holes and put some bolts through permanently.
2010 Mitsubi Triton GLX-R

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline Brooklyn

• Swag User
    • Miles from Brooklyn
« Reply #482 on: April 12, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
I think they need to be removable so you can still get the canvas off if you need to, but semi-permanent is the way we are leaning too.
American family of 4 traveling around Oz in a 100 Series Land Cruiser and a Cub camper since August 2014.
Follow our journey
Facebook: Miles from Brooklyn
Instagram: milesfrombrooklyn

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #483 on: April 12, 2015, 06:21:58 PM »
They were broken off - so I have bought a perfectly fitting 'roasting' trivet for a Baby Q Webber which now replaces it.
OK Terry

I think you are referring to the chrome trivet which sits inside the grill pan.

The Trivet has 4 little feet (as per your drawing) on both sides, one in each corner.

These feet are longer on one side then on the other so by simply turning the trivet over you effectively raise the height as well.

One the long side the top of the trivet is flush with the top of the grill pan and on the short side the level is half the depth of the grill pan.

I suppose there is nothing stopping you from also turning the grill pan upside down as well if you wanted but just keep an eye on what you are doing as this is not what it is designed to be/

Ta
Herks
Terry - Canberra ACT

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #484 on: April 12, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »
BTW - about to pull my Cub trailer around Oz for almost 12,000 kms over 2 months.  I will of course post pics and stories here but to get the feel for what me and my brother are about to do SEE: www.terrywalls.wordpress.com

Terry - Canberra ACT

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #485 on: April 18, 2015, 07:19:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Chris. Next time we will be better prepared. I think we were caught unawares with the strong gusts.
Zedd, regarding the Velcro strips used to attach the spreader bars to the canvas walls, HATE the bloody things. And I've had my camper since 2000. Recently removed all the canvas for maintenance here and there, took down the piping and restored to original shape. YES, they do go out of shape, especially when strong winds hit unexpectedly.
I took this opportunity to throw away the crappy Velcro fastening idea, used a circlip to fix triangular shaped bolts,(similar to the ones used on extendable poles to tighten the inside pipe) Punched a small hole through the Velcro canvas which the triangle shaped bolt now protrudes thru, squeezed the Annex spreader bar together a little, until it slides over the triangular bolt and everythings find and dandy, no slippage, no strain on the canvas, no loss of shape of the canvas wall and most importantly, does not fall down when the wind builds up.

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #486 on: April 18, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »
Power set ups depend on what type of use your camper will get: powered caravan parks or bush camps. Its no use having the most elaborate 240 volt system on board when there are no power points in trees. By relying on mainly 240 volt, you really limit where you can camp.

I pulled out all the 240 volt gear from our drifta when I rebuilt it and ran all new 12 volt only, as we don't need mains power in the camper. 12 volt powers everything you really want / need these days (for those who have it, air con excluded) and if set up in a van park and want to charge the batteries then we would simply take a battery charger and plug that in.

By having everything in 12 volt (laptops, TV's, dvds, cameras, phones, fridges, showers, lights, pumps etc) with the right 12 volt set up you have the freedom of camping anywhere with unlimited power kept charged by solar or the car. We have two 100amp deep cyclers and can camp up to two weeks no probs (fridge in car) and that's with the kids charging ipads, dvds etc. After that, I throw the solar on and keep camping.

:cheers: avo
Correct to a point. My set up in caravan parks means 240 to the battery charger, everything else is 12 volt powered.
I don't see to much attention devoted to 12 volt pressure pump for water supply. Wondering why not, as the hand held pump is just so much junk.

Offline Herks

• Tent User
  • Not lost, just geographically displaced!!
« Reply #487 on: April 18, 2015, 08:08:01 PM »
I agree Itchvet
Everything is 12v, same set up as what you explained.
also have thrown out the hand pump (well now only used on the draw bar to wash up after a dirty pack up) and replaced with a 12v pump on the kitchen.
Best mod as far as convenience is concerned.
Ta
John
Dmax Duel Cab LSU. Canopy, duel batteries, GVM Upgrade, Light Bar, Draw system, Fridge slide and much more. Avan Aspire Pop Top van, Many mods, 12v, 240v.

Offline Stewart

• Tent User
    • Camping with a Cocktail
« Reply #488 on: April 18, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »
Would love to see some pictures of the way you attach the annexe without the Velcro connections.  We have been caught out once with the Velcro connection ripping out of the pole and now carry a spare Velcro connection.  Would love to see a good alternative.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:35:07 PM by Stewart »
Prado 150 and Cub Supamatic Escape
https://www.campingwithacocktail.com/

Offline rastas4

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #489 on: April 18, 2015, 08:51:03 PM »
Any pics of the modification to replace the Velcro poles would be terrific?
2005 Diesel Prado

2005 Cub Spacevan

Offline The Bockies

• Swag User
« Reply #490 on: April 19, 2015, 05:58:01 PM »
Yes, pics would be great of the replacement of the vecro. It frustrates my husband no end. Thanks heaps.

Cheers!
Kaye

Offline Skinnee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #491 on: April 25, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »
Hi,

Just put a deposit on a Daintree LE,  it had the large fridge box on the front, does anyone know what the depth of the fridge slide is?

Want to fit an ARB78 which is 845mm front to back

Cheers

Offline charli27

• Sleeping Bag User
    • 4x4trips.net
« Reply #492 on: May 07, 2015, 09:24:42 PM »
Hi mate I can measure the LE fridge slide for you as we have the same fridge box as you....but we could only fit an Engel 60 fridge in due to the construction and internal supports in the box its the width and height that could be the issues for you
05 3LTR Patrol and a Jayco 1996 Offroad Swan, adding stuff all the time.
www.facebook.com/4x4trips.net

Offline Skinnee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #493 on: May 07, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »
Hi mate I can measure the LE fridge slide for you as we have the same fridge box as you....but we could only fit an Engel 60 fridge in due to the construction and internal supports in the box its the width and height that could be the issues for you

All sorted fits like a glove

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #494 on: May 08, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »
Got an email from Cub last week. Looks like ours should be ready in the next couple of weeks. Can't wait.
Got an overseas trip planned for work towards the end of month so wot get to use it immediately but fingers crossed we can get out for a trial run during the June long weekend.

2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline Skinnee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #495 on: May 12, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »
Just bought a new Cub Daintree Off-road about to work out out solar and noticed their wiring is inadequate.

Having chasing cub up in Sydney, the wiring that comes with the power pack is 4mm squared, was told they use this as standard, if you camping off the grid or charging from the alternator then it might be better to forgo the battery upgrade and DIY with adequate wiring.

Offline paull

• Tent User
« Reply #496 on: May 22, 2015, 07:03:33 PM »
Well, after a few delays (more on our side than Cub's) we finally picked it up.

It's a Cub Supamatic Escape LE with the off road pack and a few other bits and pieces added......OK quite a few other bits and pieces - larger front fridge box, larger awning, bigger tyres, pole carrier, slightly upgraded kitchen, extra door on drivers side, gal chassis and a few other bits. Went with the beam axle in the end.
Stoked with it. Been over it top to bottom with the guys when I picked it up and it looks great. Set up and pack down will no doubt take a while for the first few attempts but should be nice and quick once we get the hang of it.
Dropped it on the back of the JK and it sat perfectly level. Couldn't be better. The tailgate even opens fully (misses the stone guard by about 1mm!) so that's a added bonus.
Fitted airbags to the back springs but didn't bother to inflate the airbags for the trip home just to see how it went and it towed really well. I didn't feel the rear suspension bouncing too much at all. Obviously that's with an empty camper and an empty JK though so I expect the airbags will be needed when it's all packed up.
Towed home (about 60km) without any issues. I won't say I didn't notice the camper was there but it wasn't as power sapping as I expected considering it weights about a tonne. You need to give it a bit on steeper hills and you can feel the camper pushing you down steeper hills but other than that all was good. Even managed to reverse it into the garage first time which amazed me as I've never towed anything before in my life before.
Now just got to get into it, get the canvas seasoned and work out what goes where and then get some trips planned.
2020 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
2016 MR22BE Van

"I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel but it was only some bugger with a torch bringing me some more work."

Offline Animall

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #497 on: May 22, 2015, 08:54:18 PM »
New to the cub club just ordered a Daintree Le at the cairns show last week a couple of options added . Pole holder , side shelf , roll up side and swing out spare wheel carrier can't wait to pick it up . eta end June / start July

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #498 on: May 22, 2015, 09:17:15 PM »
Same here. Ours has started collapsing every time we pack up or put the annexe on or if its sitting around for a few days or if its slightly windy or ....... its annoying. I intend to drill some holes and put some bolts through permanently.

Hi,

I have used Hose clamps from Bunnings garden with plastic butterfly screw, when one of the center hoop lock screw stripped.

HTH
Ray
Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline Robbbo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #499 on: June 07, 2015, 12:55:23 PM »
G'day all

Sorry to post such a dumb question.... But I'd feel a lot dumber if I was out on the track and didn't know the answer...

I've got a brumby (independent suspension) and can't work out where the scissor jack would be placed if I wanted to change a tyre!

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Robbo