Author Topic: That's me............  (Read 5091 times)

Offline rmoore

• Learning the Ropes
    • The Real Outback
That's me............
« on: February 01, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »
I'm Rick, driving a modified 2011 Mazda BT 50 dual cab, set up for remote travel. I prefer to travel without a trailer, but it's not always possible.........

I spend 60 to 90 nights a year in my swag. It's not always beer & skittles, but better than staying at home & twiddling my thumbs!

My major interest is in desert regions, and in European exploration history, pastoralism, & pioneers.

A rare trip into the Victorian high country:

An earlier incarnation, stopped at the Ghan railway Line, Central Australia:

Fishing camp:

On the C.S.R.:

My first 4wd, circa 1973:

In the northern Flinders Ranges, in the first of my two GU patrols:

View aft from my boat, on the lakes of the mouth of the Warburton River, Lake Eyre, 2012:

Offline slydar

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: That's me............
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 05:02:33 PM »
'onya mate!!!  :cheers:
The following users thanked this post: rmoore

scrapsD40

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »
Noice one. Great pics

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:10 PM »
Welcome to myswag, nice assortment of 4wds. I bet you loved the Toyota the most :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
Hi Rick, good to see someone else who appreciates the lack of people and the solitude of the desert.
I've been lucky enough to have done almost all of Len's tracks and be involved with the remap of the Kidson track to the Nyangumarta highway in preparation for the permit system ( http://www.anfwdc.asn.au/kidson_track.php ).
Don't know if I'd be trusting all the electronic gizmos in the BT for remote travel but it would be interesting to hear the pitfalls if any, over time and with the longevity of the vehicle.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 06:37:50 PM »
G'day Rick and welcome to myswag.  Would love to sit and yarn around a campfire with you.  You just have some great adventures to share.

Happy camping
KB

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 06:44:31 PM »
Hi Rick....   looking forward to reading your posts and blogs etc; looks like you have had many happy years of experience out there in this great southern land   :)   

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »
Nice to have your company here mate :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 08:03:17 PM »
G'day and welcome mate.
Good intro too  :cup:

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 05:00:18 AM »
G'day and welcome

Offline rmoore

• Learning the Ropes
    • The Real Outback
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 08:03:40 AM »
Hi Rick, good to see someone else who appreciates the lack of people and the solitude of the desert.
I've been lucky enough to have done almost all of Len's tracks and be involved with the remap of the Kidson track to the Nyangumarta highway in preparation for the permit system ( http://www.anfwdc.asn.au/kidson_track.php ).
Don't know if I'd be trusting all the electronic gizmos in the BT for remote travel but it would be interesting to hear the pitfalls if any, over time and with the longevity of the vehicle.

G'day Tent user.

BTW, surely your'e a swag user also/foremost?? Nice looking conversion. I considered same but in the end went with much greater standard weight carrying capacity offered by a dual cab/ute design (bent a chassis from overloading and seen a few more, esp in the last 2 years). I've done 90,000km, most of them very hard km.

Electronics have not been an issue at all. I was a skeptic on the sway control, down hill braking, stability control etc - until I used them!!! Spinifex build up an issue early until I put a tin plate underneath.

[url=http://[URL=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/moundsprings/media/Mazda%204WD/DSCN3551.jpg.html]

Done all the Beadells except the A B H in this bus, several times on most. Bloody corugggaaattteeessssss.........everything gets hammered and eventually almost everything and every configuration needs repairs. If it hasn't happened to you yet, as I say, it just means you haven't done enough miles.  ;D