Author Topic: Unbelievable and disgusting  (Read 43620 times)

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Unbelievable and disgusting
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2015, 02:00:20 PM »
Human error maybe??.........pretty sure cars run red light by accident as well......

absolutely right 100%, I don't have an issue with that it was just the abuse that I copped for asking if he was alright..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »
Not anti cycling at all, in fact have a significant past history, but the Lycra don't fit anymore...but daily I sit in my office in Frome St in the Adelaide CBD where there is the hideously expensive segregated bike path system in place...and watch some of our two wheel warriors ride the wrong way, text on their phones, abuse pedestrians, run red lights and generally have a good time at everyone else's expense. Only the minority's though and by and large the pathway is a good system.

If only we could reduce the war on SA roads between cars and cyclists I might consider clipping back into the pedals...oh yeah, but of course now in SA we can ride on footpaths legally, at any speed, anywhere...and so started the great pedestrian V cyclist war of 2015.

I ride that same stretch on Frome street at least 3x a week and I have witnessed or been part of way more near misses because people in cars either don't look at all or have no idea what a blind spot is, or just dont care than I have witnessed idiot cyclists. I know there's plenty around though, I feel the real issue is that drivers just are not trained properly, and a good number probably should never be on the road at all because they are just too dumb.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2015, 02:23:59 PM »
I ride that same stretch on Frome street at least 3x a week and I have witnessed or been part of way more near misses because people in cars either don't look at all or have no idea what a blind spot is, or just dont care than I have witnessed idiot cyclists. I know there's plenty around though, I feel the real issue is that drivers just are not trained properly, and a good number probably should never be on the road at all because they are just too dumb.

So true...that's the other side of the story...the cars cant handle the Frome St Bikeway. Have seen cars/vans parked in the Bikeway, cyclists cut off by left hand turners at the lights and the usual careless things.

With the new 1 metre or 1.5 metre rule in SA for passing cars: I cant believe that drivers would knowingly give any less space to a cyclist than this. Surely we have all been cyclists at some stage, even if we haven't had a red hot go on two wheels since we were kids (or had kids and taught them how to ride), so we have all been there, done that at some stage. Mutual understanding, less agro and we will all get there safe.

Seems we may have gone off topic a tad. I hope the recovery of the OP is going well and there are no long term scars.

Cheers!
Andrew
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »
Cyclists may be tax payers but..........
So is every other person and its about priorities.
Our greater urban sprawl and distances between mean the km of cycleways needed is high.
I would rather have it spent on neccesities like police hospitals and the like.
That's fine, as long as we can all agree that cyclists have a place on the road if we aren't going to build cycleways.
And on the subject of bike riders what is the problem of them being licenced?
Every form of road legal vehicle has one.
If you are obeying the road rules you have nothing to fear. But we all have seen the not so small percentage of cyclists who dont obey road rules, and at the same time abuse, kick cars stuck in traffic etc because THEIR road rights are perceived to have been violated.
Yes cyclists may have a car also but so what? If i chose to have 1,2 or 3 vehicles I must have a valid licence to drive each, and pay for registration and insurance on each of them

What about kids cycling, will they need a licence? At what age will you need a licence for a bicycle. I'm all for educating on the road rules, but licensing for kids isn't going to work. Do my 8 and 10yo kids need a licence to ride down the back streets to the cycleway with me?

The vast majority of riders also already have a drivers licence and there is nothing stopping the police from fining a rider doing the wrong thing already. It does happen. Not having a licence doesn't stop the police from identifying you either, just slows them down as they need to use other means.

Rego is a system of identification for motor vehicles, the insurance is for those unlucky enough to get hit by a motor vehicle to have their medical expenses covered. Cyclists do not do anywhere near the damage of motor vehicles. The only reason to have rego for cyclists is to allow for those that shirk their responsibilities and ride off into the sunset after they cause a crash, a tiny minority of the population and we are increasingly finding that social media and surveillance cameras is bringing these people to justice anyway.
People also want to use rego to report cyclists for running red lights etc. not going to work either. Cars have rego plates and trying to report them for doing the wrong thing (with video evidence) seems often to be a waste of time.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:31:37 PM by NewieCamper »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2015, 02:51:16 PM »

I have been commuting on Sydney roads for 8 years now, and ridden 26,000kms in that time. Never been hit by a car.

You are one very lucky person..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »
Cyclists do not do anywhere near the damage of motor vehicles.

But when one runs into a car, even if it only scratches the door, who pays ? Bike rider has no id, no insurance. He says it wasn't his fault, or he picks his bike up and pi**es off ? Without a dash cam, a copper won't want to know you, and you have no way of tracing the rider ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »
You are one very lucky person..
In part, you're possibly right. I do give drivers credit - the vast majority are excellent to cyclists, from my experience.

BUT, I do many things for my safety:
 - I have four POWERFUL lights - two on bike forward and rear facing - two on helmet forward and rear facing.
 - I wear bright coloured clothing.
 - I choose carefully the roads I ride on, picking those with a breakdown lane, verge, or quiet traffic.
 - I leave early in mornings, to miss the heaviest traffic.
 - I ride assertively - keep to the road rules and make sure drivers know my intentions, so they know where I'm going.
 - be very very alert - as others have said to ride as though any car is going to kill me.
 - I steer clear of Camry drivers, 3tonne trucks, buses and young female drivers - to cyclists they are the dangers.
 - Be polite - drivers like that and give you space.

Statistically I am more likely to be hit crossing a road in the CBD, so cycling is really not as dangerous as you make out. But we are the vulnerable road users.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »
But when one runs into a car, even if it only scratches the door, who pays ? Bike rider has no id, no insurance. He says it wasn't his fault, or he picks his bike up and pi**es off ? Without a dash cam, a copper won't want to know you, and you have no way of tracing the rider ?

When someone reverses into your car the drives off with no-one around?
When a little old lady pushes her trolley into the side of the car then wanders off?

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
When someone reverses into your car the drives off with no-one around?
When a little old lady pushes her trolley into the side of the car then wanders off?

I'm talking about when you are in the car and see them do it !

Me, they wouldn't be riding anywhere  without showing id or coughing up hundreds of dollars, but a female...what does she do ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2015, 03:48:38 PM »
If theres some form of ID on all bikes whats the problem whether their 5 or 50. An a__hole rider is gone way before a cop shows up. You can then identify any illegal behavior.
If a car hits and injures a cyclist the cars 3rd party covers it.
What about pedestrians injured by bikes, is it ok to say it's the pedestrians problem?
Anyway thats just my reckonings.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2015, 04:00:35 PM »
If theres some form of ID on all bikes whats the problem whether their 5 or 50. An a__hole rider is gone way before a cop shows up. You can then identify any illegal behavior.
If a car hits and injures a cyclist the cars 3rd party covers it.
What about pedestrians injured by bikes, is it ok to say it's the pedestrians problem?
Anyway thats just my reckonings.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Bike rego would just put heaps back into cars, making it even harder for your commute. With an already obese society, discouraging bike usage is just stupid.

There's dickheads everywhere, some ride bikes, lots drive cars, then there's the dumb ones, the old ones, the new ones and the ones who don't actually hold a licence but do anyday.

I challenge all of you anti bike types here to ride to work for a week, I bet you change your tune.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2015, 04:07:17 PM »
Wasn't this thread about some grub spitting in a ladies face?
The bike / car argument is about as  solvable as the Toyota /Nissan argument

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2015, 04:07:57 PM »

I challenge all of you anti bike types here to ride to work for a week, I bet you change your tune.

Why would anyone want to do that?

That's why we have public transport....... nice and safe. 
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
Why would anyone want to do that?

That's why we have public transport....... nice and safe.
EDIT: wrong link!
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2015, 04:18:16 PM »

That argument is easier. Everyone knows the Toyotas are the superior machine   ;D ;D ;D
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
to the OP, just go down there in the morning and crack of few cyclists heads, remember, better the wrong man than no man at all.
It will make you feel better.

Offline scblack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2015, 05:05:58 PM »
to the OP, just go down there in the morning and crack of few cyclists heads, remember, better the wrong man than no man at all.
It will make you feel better.
The slack jawed yokel just arrived.
VW Amarok Highline 2016
Jayco Swan Outback 2015

A man must believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2015, 05:24:03 PM »
What about kids cycling, will they need a licence? At what age will you need a licence for a bicycle. I'm all for educating on the road rules, but licensing for kids isn't going to work. Do my 8 and 10yo kids need a licence to ride down the back streets to the cycleway with me?

i reckon forget a specific licence for riding push bikes, can't see that ever working myself. Just make it so that once you reach the age of say 16 - 17. you need to have a rego plate on your bike for easy identification. Before that age you're your parents responsibilty, after that age you are old enough for a car licence, so after that age you be required to have something on the bike that makes you easily identified. In this age of dash cams and security cameras etc, it'll make identification of individuals easier for prosecution when they do soemthing stupid, but it's not going to solve the problem at the end of the day, just as it doesn't stop people being wankers in cars etc..
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2015, 05:30:35 PM »
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2015, 06:06:13 PM »
The slack jawed yokel just arrived.

I think they arrived a few pages back

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
... but it's not going to solve the problem at the end of the day, just as it doesn't stop people being wankers in cars etc..
Nailed it
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:39:47 PM by NewieCamper »

Offline TheWall

• Tent User
Unbelievable and disgusting
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »
Ahh...we haven't had this discussion for a while.

One of the reasons I chuckle is that there must be some perfect 'I never speed, always indicate' drivers out there if they can comment so much about other road sharers. Amazing that cars/trucks run into each other when everyone is so perfectly compliant with the law .

After 12000klm in 18 months I have lost 21kg and am as fit as fiddle for a 4ahem0 yo. Look back to what a fat b**t@r! I was and I cannot believe I let myself get to that state. I remember trying to do a 1klm fun run with my then 5yo daughter and I could not last the distance without walking.

It is legal to ride two abreast (and usually safer as cars need to make a more considered pass) and in Qld it is min 1m space (why would you WANT to give less - it is a mum, dad, sis or son etc - you are passing????) Oh, and lots of bikes have cameras like mine.

Good to see heaps more cyclists out and about on the Sunny Coast - especially the more senior and also women.

Cycling is amazing (why would you want to be caged up in a gym!!!) and makes beer taste even better. Seriously. You can even get away with calling it carb loading or a sports recovery drink (Google it...it must be true) but as per the OP, tossers are never far away. Take this chap in the Hyundai...he had two goes at me - one of them almost sent me a/over a kerb) and the local Cops are contacting (I assume his wife?) tomorrow to contact him as the rego is in her name. Bet that will make her happy ba ha ha.

As for waiting to be a road stat...yep, that is all of us who drive no matter what our choice of vehicle is. Be safe out there all. And remember somebody is filming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TheWall

• Tent User
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2015, 08:27:41 PM »
PS: Yes, of course the cyclist is a luny mentioned by the OP. We are not all like that. Hope she is ok and good call not going after vengeance yourself. No one wins as per the road rage death on the Gateway Motorway this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2015, 10:38:16 PM »

Seems we may have gone off topic a tad. I hope the recovery of the OP is going well and there are no long term scars.

Cheers!
Andrew
Just a tad  :laugh:

Yep  ;D
and the original Ford/Holden or blonde/brunette 'discussions'

PS: Yes, of course the cyclist is a luny mentioned by the OP. We are not all like that. Hope she is ok and good call not going after vengeance yourself. No one wins as per the road rage death on the Gateway Motorway this week.
Cheers. The retail therapy and a couple of days off work has certainly helped.
But until the blood tests are finalised, that will be hanging over our heads
Another awesome forum.... now i'll never get to bed :D