Author Topic: Possible Cape Trip  (Read 72 times)

austastar, DCP, l0ckym and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Possible Cape Trip
« on: Today at 06:04:06 AM »
Hi all,

We are thinking about making a Cape trip this time next year... starting to plan...

Will be just us at this stage, with our Pajero and rear fold camper.

Looking for advice, tips, locations,  recommended places to stay, etc... that others have experienced...

A few notes:

Not interested in doing the OTT, Gunshot or anything of that nature... will be sticking to the PDR, mainly.
Obviously looking at doing the Tip Sign photo
Not that confident in major 4wding by myself

Any info that forum members can provide would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: Today at 06:07:14 AM by paceman »

Offline Never enough time

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Possible Cape Trip
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:31:14 AM »
I don't know what gravel/road/ rough road experience you have, but my comment is take it easy/ slowly as it will reduce the chance of doing any damage to your vehicle or trailer. We found plenty of "bat outahell" drivers who were a real menace to themselves and others coming the other way.
The "Tip" should be just part of the journey , not the holy grail as some of the drivers seem to behave.
If in doubt about needing to replace any suspension parts, do it before hand. If your shocks/struts and possibly some bushes are getting towards 200 000km or more, replace them before you go.
Allow at least two weeks to get from Cooktown to the Tip and back to enjoy it.
Allow time to go Thursday island for the day.
There is a Cape York tourist website.
For us it's a been there once, not bothering to go back experience, plenty of others go there numerous times though.
We prefer more western locations and southern beaches where you can swim without blasted crocs.
Mark
Vehicles; Presently Prado 2021, previously three Pajeros
Camper; Complete Campsite Exodus 13 (2011 build), previously Kimberly Kamper and prior to that Soft Floor 16ft
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:13:54 AM »
I don't know what gravel/road/ rough road experience you have, but my comment is take it easy/ slowly as it will reduce the chance of doing any damage to your vehicle or trailer. We found plenty of "bat outahell" drivers who were a real menace to themselves and others coming the other way.
The "Tip" should be just part of the journey , not the holy grail as some of the drivers seem to behave.
If in doubt about needing to replace any suspension parts, do it before hand. If your shocks/struts and possibly some bushes are getting towards 200 000km or more, replace them before you go.
Allow at least two weeks to get from Cooktown to the Tip and back to enjoy it.
Allow time to go Thursday island for the day.
There is a Cape York tourist website.
For us it's a been there once, not bothering to go back experience, plenty of others go there numerous times though.
We prefer more western locations and southern beaches where you can swim without blasted crocs.
Mark

thanks for the feedback, mate...

gravel roads are ok... have experience with that...
understand that there other things to see, will be putting things on our list
shocks and bushes have just been replaced... a bit more work to be done on vehicle and trailer, before we go...
we are allowing about two weeks...
have been west and south... this is a bucket list 'once in a lifetime' trip... 

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:28:34 AM »
Calling McGirr ... Customer to see you at front counter.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home