Author Topic: Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???  (Read 45649 times)

Offline bert56

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2011, 06:13:57 AM »
I smoked for over 35 years and it wasn't hard to give up. You only need the right motivation.

Bert

Offline making tracks

• Tent User
  • Whats around the corner
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2011, 07:13:03 AM »
Thanks Hairs,it will be a long road ahead but im sure its going to be alot less bumpy.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2011, 11:34:54 AM »
Hey Making Tracks how ya going?
Nearly been a week now. Hope ya still off them.
Hope the rest of you guys are doing well too, Just thought I pop on in and say "Howzit Going"
Stick with it.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »
12 months today since I ended up at St Vincents Hospital (Melb) after a minor heart scare.  Have had 5 cigarettes since, down from 30 plus a day.  Keep it up guys, you sound like youre over the worst of it.

Remember, reward yourself for giving up.  go out and buy that upgraded or new CT, or buy that winch for the Tug.  Its a way of reminding yourself what youve done/doing and what benifits you get out of it - better health and more disposable $$$$$$$. :cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »
Well, first let me say thanks to Mr Mac GU for starting this post, i read it a week or two ago and it's just that little extra motivation i needed.... For the last 2/3 yrs i've been saying to myself i'd chuck the smokes when i turn 40. I've been smoking since i was 17, gave up for a few years when our first child was born, when i was about 23, then just smoked socially up until 3 yrs ago when i started working overseas since working away i'm smoking about a pack every 36hrs, then when i return home for break i go back to just a few a day, as i've never smoked in front of my kids, i think they know i sometimes smoke, but i've just never smoked in front of them....... anyway last Friday night i had a few rumbo's and smokes as the kids were all out for the night....... woke up Sat morning and thought....... bugger it i've had enough of the smokes and haven't had one since, i know it's only 5 days, but if my head keeps in this same head space i reckon i've got the best chance to never go back........  and it's a couple of weeks before i'm 40, so the timimng couldn't be better......

Thanks again.......... and to everyone else........ keep tellin your self your a non smoker, and feel good about that.
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline earlybird

• Swag User
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
You might get a new recruit in the fight to quit with this bloke:

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/story/2011/07/26/light-up-portaloo-blamed-in-explosion-rockhampton/

Sounds like a lot of hard work ahead of him, if he makes it through.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
You might get a new recruit in the fight to quit with this bloke:

http://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/story/2011/07/26/light-up-portaloo-blamed-in-explosion-rockhampton/

Sounds like a lot of hard work ahead of him, if he makes it through.
something about that accident doesn't add up to me, those toliets are well ventilated as a rule (atleast all the ones i've used on jobsites are), so it makes me wonder if it's not a work prank gone wrong?
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline making tracks

• Tent User
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2011, 09:07:40 PM »
Well?, All is good and still smoke free. Had a drink or 2  last Friday and started to come undone so i rushed to the chemist and got me some of those nicabate lozenges. All good and plan to suck on them less week by week and day by day. Not one person has ever said this was going to be easy and trust me it isn't,I'm sticking to my guns and i hope all that have given and all that wish to give up have the ammo to do the same same.  ;D

Offline making tracks

• Tent User
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2011, 09:10:31 PM »
THE ONLY SMOKE I WANT IS FROM THE CAMP FIRE  ;D

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2011, 05:44:29 AM »
Good on you Mr Mac Gu,

I have been a smoker for over 20 years and in the last seven years, since I have had kids I have given up three times. Once by willpower, once by hypnosysis and once by tablets. The longest period was the tablets - 12 months.

I decided it was time to quit again, for the cost, kids, not a good look as I work in the health industry and cos these days you are seen as a lepor. I have even nearly had a full on fight recently in the street, cos someone thought they had the right to tell me that I stink and am discusting (well they were overweight and should stop going to Krispy Kremes I say!!!)  I have been a staunch advocate for smoking as to be honest I really enjoy the habit and nothing better when having a beer. It really is a nice way to get away from kids, work etc and have a couple of minutes time out.  I also hate the current nanny state attitude which is prevailing in our society, against everything that is bad for you but that is another rant.

Anyway, I used the Champix and started them a couple of weeks ago and havent had a fag for the last week or so. They do work and you still need will power but definantly not as much. Only take them when you have eaten or you will feel sick. I am having trouble sleeping and somenights will be awake to after 1am. I try to take the tablets in the early afternoon, not sure it is making any difference to the lack of sleep though.

Regardless it is worht it and will persist the main reason is I do want to see my kids longer. My Doctors is very good and  used to be a smoker ans is always encouraging me. I will leave these words of wisdown he shared with me" You may not live any longer but it jesus it will feel like it"

So true, a Beer and a smoke,,,,,,,,
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline watto11

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Watsonfamilycamping/165262510248075
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »
Hey everyone good luck quitting I support u all in succeeding I quit 4 months ago I believe the only thing that helped me succeed was Champix they definitely work great a word of advice though if they make u sick as they did for me get some medication to stop nausea I had real bad stomach cramps until I got some other pills to stop that but Champix definitely work I'm a huge advocate for them ??. Good luck and I'm with u all 100% u can do it

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2011, 12:13:22 PM »
Coming up to 4 weeks this weekend................................. :cheers:
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline boxxy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2011, 05:08:48 PM »
I am up to 2 weeks smoke free this weekend. The cut down gradually seemed to work for me, cut right down then just did not buy more tobacco. i used the gum to start with and now find the lozenges a little easier to use. Have been using less and less of these each day as I get used to a smoke free life. Hardest part is 1st thing in the moprning and when having a beer but I just keep reminding myself why I am doing this - 1. My health and 2. To live long and enjoy my grand kids.

Week 2 nearly done - now for week 3

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Good to hear you guys are going so well, top effort.
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline john c

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2011, 11:26:32 PM »
I gave up about 11 years ago; with the money I save I have got a new 4x4 and camper. A lot better use of hard earned $$$$ Stick with NO Smoking it is worth it in the short and long run. John C :D

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2011, 12:32:34 AM »
Keep going guys . . . no more fags. I gave up nearly 20 years ago (a heart attack is a gentle reminder that the fags are NOT good for you). My wife, unfortunately, still smokes. I bought a pack for her today . . . $15.55. Bloody hell! Cheers, Tony

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »
Made it through my first month... ;D :cup: :cheers:

www.themotleycrew.com.au

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »
Onya mate, good stuff... Giving up is a piece of cake i found, i did it heaps too. Good to hear you're staying off them, you'll feel better for it.
Listo

Offline Kman

• Swag User
    • Camper Trailer Rental
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2011, 11:48:26 AM »
Well done Mr. Mac, I haven't been on for a while to have a post, nothing much to report....but I had my last ciggi (am taking champix) on Monday last week, so far so good. I don't want one, and every time i do I just drink water. Did you know there is a serious lack of public toilets around here?

Anyways, I look forward to saying my 1st month too. Cheers to you. :cup: :cheers:
Complete Campsite Nomad and Mitsi Triton

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #119 on: August 01, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »
Because of this thread, finally started what I'd been putting off.

Started the Champix 12 days ago, & smoke free today.
1/2 way through the day & so far so good. I've thought of it, but no urge...yet :)

Here's hopeing I never catch up to you Kmac & Mr Mac, & everyone else on here who's made a commitment to quit & started :)
Bob and Robyn

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2011, 06:58:11 AM »
Two months and going strong. :cup:

How is everyone else going?

www.themotleycrew.com.au

Offline making tracks

• Tent User
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2011, 07:21:31 AM »
Going strong here,its been 7 weeks ;D Still on the nicabate lollies and good to hear all you guys are doing well also,keep it up :cheers:

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2011, 08:15:22 AM »
i jumped on this good ship 2 weeks ago - still kicking it - keep it up guys
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2011, 08:52:07 AM »
TOP WORK!!

Congrats to all of you. I to am a reformed smoker.

i used champix tablets.

3 years this year. SWMBO has been putting the extra coin into our "holiday" fund.

I applaud all who are giving it a crack!!

Cheers
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
im on the champix as well -- i was ready to give it up after the first week - the insomnia and nightmares were intense - couldnt get to sleep - and then id wake up with a shot of adrenaline at 2-4am with the most vivid nightmares that all involved my old faithful dog being killed in some gruesome way - night after night - so bad that sleep was gone for the night

the first weekend i had a saturday off the pills completely so i could sleep and then started again monday morning - its been fine since and the desire to smoke just left me - monday and tuesday i lit up one ciggy with my morning coffee - then when i lit up a ciggie after that it just tasted like burning rubber and made me gag and a couple of times throw up.  my ash tray was full of one drag butted out remnants.

wednesday i threw the packet out and i havnt looked back.  anyone thinking about it i cant reccomend champix enough - im prone to insomnia anyway so dont let that scare you - but even if you do get it - it seems to go - my flatmate experienced the same as me and it went away for him.   

we are both hitting 2 weeks without a smoke and are doing it easy - ive backed down to one champix per day and i plan on avoiding alcohol for at least 2 months
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au