Author Topic: Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???  (Read 45655 times)

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2019, 11:38:25 AM »
Champix worked for me.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »
Champix worked for me.
awesome effort!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »
Champix worked for me.

Farkkk, $18k in ~18 months!!!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »
Farkkk, $18k in ~18 months!!!

Just did the sums and it's a crazy expensive dirty habit these days..
I was smoking a 40 pack of Peter Jackson's a day on average (a little less during the week, a little more Friday-Sunday).

I haven't looked at cigarette prices in about 9 years, so had to look them up on the interwebs, apparently that 40 pack costs $52.95 today.....    :o
In 18 months that's $26,686.80

I seriously doubt that I would have continued smoking that much with those prices, but I'm sure there's plenty that still do.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2019, 02:59:45 PM »
Quote from: Pete79
I seriously doubt that I would have continued smoking that much with those prices, but I'm sure there's plenty that still do.
have mates who were "IM GIVING UP IF THEY GET TO $5 A PACK".... 30yrs later, still smoking like ****in chimneys.. Some pack a day, some more.... **** knows how they afford it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2019, 02:52:57 PM »
Geez I must be rich then, I gave up in March 1980,  a packet of 20 a day. No nicotine patches or gum at that time. I found that even after the initial cravings abated a bit, the biggest temptation was smoking OPs, fortunately I found myself around non smokers including the new girlfriend (now wife). Even after the cravings went, it was over two years before the feeling that something was missing from your hand when you were at the pub having a drink, went away.
NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting[emoji47]
« Reply #206 on: November 14, 2019, 10:54:43 AM »
I have give up for approximately 13 years now. I smoked for 26 years approximately 20 a day and always said I can give it up anytime I want, I’m just not a quitter.
You have to actually want to give up, not just feel that you should.
I tried cutting back the number of ciggies, the strength and came to a level I could not get below, 8 x 12mg a day. Lower strengths and I just smoked more.
So I decided I would go with hypnosis. I had the hypnosis and was pretty certain I wasted my money, but being a tight arse Pom, I decided to give it a go anyway. The only 2 things I really got from that meeting was some advice. 1 the first 15 years are the worst, I thought she was joking. I still get the bloody cravings now, but at least they don’t last anymore and are less frequent.
The second part was working out when I most needed a cigarette, for me it was when I was running out of smokes, 3-4 left in the packet and I would chain smoke the lot because I was worried about running out.
I quit cold turkey that day, but I carried a packet of smokes and a lighter with me every where I went for the next 5 years.
I will concede that hypnosis is the subconscious, so maybe it helped. I think willpower, an understanding of you weakest moments and actually wanting to give up are what will get you over the line, not wanting to disappoint someone else would be unlikely to be enough.
Also I saved every cent I would have spent on smokes for the first 6 months or so and bought a brand new weaco 80ltr fridge with the money
Just my 2 cents, good luck to you all.
Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:56:47 AM by lloydus67 »

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2019, 04:34:15 PM »

Some pack a day, some more.... **** knows how they afford it.
I quit about 12 years ago, maybe longer, don't really remember.
I know back then it was a Shit load of coin out my pocket every day.
Our eldest daughter, works in a supermarket, sometimes on the cig only checkout.
In a small town, she knows most people that she deals with, she doesn't understand how they can afford to smoke.

Well done to anyone that can free themselves from the addictive Shit.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2019, 05:38:48 PM »
Quote from: Hairs
I know back then it was a Shit load of coin out my pocket every day.
Discussing with young bloke at work, who smokes rollys... $95 lasts him n missus a week - sometimes... which he said is cheaper than your packet of cancersticks.
I showed him Doc's image up above from Quit, and he freaked out.. he didnt want to know how much!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting[emoji47]
« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2019, 09:00:11 AM »
Champix worked for me. Haven’t had a smoke for 10 months.

Saved plenty.

Those trying to quit - keep up the good work and well done

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:51:57 AM by shakey55 »

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2019, 09:45:14 AM »
Champion worked for me. Haven’t had a smoke for 10 months.

Saved plenty.

Those trying to quit - keep up the good work and well done

Well done.
Good onya.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2019, 09:02:39 AM »
As a hardened smoker you never quit smoking you decide to take up non-smoking and I've done that a number of times over the years the longest being 4 years. All it took to end that was sitting in the William Creek pub after a hard day out to Lake Eyre on big trail bikes and the BIL who'd also stopped smoking says- Marlboro country so what about a packet eh? I was back on them like I'd never stopped within a week. Could never fathom those blokes who didn't smoke all week except for a packet out on the tiles on a Saturday night.

Well I'm resigned to the fact that nicotine is my poison but it seems rather quaint now that we ever thought imbibing it via burnt vegetable was a good idea and dope smokers take note. Everybody else is making up those annual per capita booze consumption figures now because that's nothing to do with me and each to their own but I'll share the odd hit of caffeine with you. For 5 years now I've found the compromise in vaping my nicotine. Only took a week for the rattle in the chest and the morning cough to disappear and no fire ash butts or smelling like an ashtray and the sense of smell and taste returned. When I left subsidising the national deficit 5 years ago I was spending $100/week on a couple of packets of rolling baccy and that would be $10/week max now with vaping the strongest ejuice 24mg/ml nicotine.

If nicotine really is your poison check out the vaping community online and down at your local vape shop for the heads up and like the missus GF you might find it very useful too for taking up non-smoking like she did after 12 months vaping. If you are a reformed smoker then understand how vaping is all about harm minimisation for addicts like myself just like AA, light beer, needle exchanges, methadone, drug testing at pop concerts, etc. Well unless you're addicted to excise or earn a living from the moral scold industry of course while hitting the Grange. They do a nice a nice line of non-alcoholic wines if you really want to walk the talk  :cheers:   

Edit: err...burnt vegetable matter
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:09:15 AM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.