Author Topic: Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???  (Read 45639 times)

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
Re: Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »
Nearly 2 years ago, I took champix tablets (prescription via doctor) and havent smoked since...

My wife finally gave up with the aid of Champix tablets...been over 2 yrs now.

My sister in law gave up as soon as the doctor gave her the option of possibly living for 9 months without smoking or well less than 6 months continuing smoking. She has uncureable lung cancer at 47, Personaly I don't think those cigerattes were worth it.
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
My Mother, Father and six of my uncles and aunties all gave up smoking cold turkey because it killed them, some young.  My best friend (brotherinlaw) died 10 years ago from lung cancer (he smoked).  My sister has never smoked and she is currently undergoing her second bout of chemo therapy for lung cancer and had half a lung removed due to breathing others smoke over the years (passive smoking) and I am having regular lung Xrays to monitor shadows on the lungs for the same problem as my sister and I have never smoked.  So please give it up at least for everybody elses sake.

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline yandiferal

• Tent User
  • It's not hard to be NICE!!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
well done on wanting to quit i gave up for 3yrs on the champix but got back on the smokes it has now been 4 weeks on champix again.
cause the mrs's and i want to buy a camper trailer we are putting our smoke money away  ;D plus we're getting married in September and we've asked for cash for the camper to LOL :cheers:

Offline Tezza1974

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Hilux SR5 D4D & Lifestlye Podium CT
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »
Alan Carr - How to quit smoking is a great book with excellent humour...i read it and i stopped i gave it to 3 other friends and they quit aswell......but you must read the whole the book....dont stop halfway!!!I thought at first what a load of tripe but my wife bought me the book....first chapter and i was hooked on quitting

good luck and its easier than you think...the nicotine & your habits will tell you otherwise....just read the book you will see...
Looking for that perfect place somewhere between Peace & Quiet

Offline scotty61

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »
I have just given up smoking after 35 years (it has been 6 weeks now) i have tried everything except cutting my hands off trying to give them up and nothing has worked up till now. Now i am sure some of you will be sceptical but electric cigarette's (e-cigs) worked for me as you are giving up smoking tobacco and are now vapping a juice which makes you think you are still smoking as there is a vapor that you see so it still looks like you are smoking. There has been some news reports saying they are illegal but they are legal to sell and buy the hardware but it is the juice that is the problem. If you buy juice with nicotine (nic) it,that is illegal in Australia but if you buy juice with no nic in it that's all legal. Nic juice is bought from china and no nic juice can be bought here online. Myself i have been using a e-cig with no nic juice for eight weeks the first two weeks i still smoked a packet of 30's a week instead of a packet of 30's a day then after two weeks i stopped smoking normal cigs. Yes you can say i'm still smoking a e-cig but that is a lot better than what i had been doing and my vapping rate has decreased as each week goes by so soon i will be able to stop these as well. This time i also think my head was in the right place to give up so if anyone wants more details just do what i did and google e-cigs and read as much as you can and make your own mind up and to anyone who has give up cold turkey i take my hat off to you as you are so much stronger than me and anyone who can get of the smokes by any way that works for them good luck as it is all hard work.

Offline Kirky

• Swag User
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
Mac.  Do yourself a favor and go see your doc and get CHAMPIX.  I was a 20 years + smoker, 30 to 40 a day, stressful job and every time I gave up something would happen at work and I would be back on em.  I tried all sorts of stuff too.  Champix worked great.  Give em a bash and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »
So after 20 odd years of smoking (30+ per day about $120 per week) its time to quit... again.... >:D >:D >:D

Anyway...i have tried it all over the last few years from gum, patches and hypnatismn (sp).

I think the only thing that will work is will power, and as I can see my health slowly slipping away its time to do it not just for me, but for the kids too.

I am sure there would be members on here that want to quit, so I figure we could all do it together and offer support if we slip etc. We can use this thread to discuss the ins and outs of how we are going inc feelings, cravings etc and how we have been handling them.

My plan is from this coming Monday 27/6/2011 to cut my habit by at least half and totally quit by Monday 4/7/2011.

If you have any valid suggestions please feel free to post them up.

So who wants to give it a go with me???

Mate i will join u have been gradually cutting down for a few months and the time has come to pack up all together. I have been a pack a day smoker for about 20 years but all good things must come to an end. So good luck.

eddy
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 09:27:39 PM »
Mate i will join u have been gradually cutting down for a few months and the time has come to pack up all together. I have been a pack a day smoker for about 20 years but all good things must come to an end. So good luck.

eddy

Thanks Eddy.

It will be great to share the achievement with someone. I think if we make it through the first couple of weeks all should be good from there on in.

Are you going to look into the champix tablets. I was going to talk to my doctor about them tomorrow as from all reports they wont hurt the process.

Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes. Things are looking up. I have not had a smoke tonight and i dont even feel like one, imagine how things will be when i actually start giving up.

My wife is going to ration me to 15 cigarettes per day as from monday and i will give her all my cards so i cant cheat for the first few weeks. I figure if i dont have any money available to me then i cant buy any cigarettes to smoke...lol

Cheers
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline Crazy Dog

• Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31:54 PM »
Good luck fella's--U can do it..

Grrr!!! :D
Cairns FNQ - I love poor little defenseless animals, especially in gravy.

Offline jaycamrie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 06:10:01 AM »
MR MAC
             hope you succeed i am trying again for the umpteenth time again next week, will go on patches my wife used champix and has not smoked for 18 monthes i lasted 2 weeks ,but i know i can do it for i am over smoking keeps you broke and will kill you eventually and my young son asked the other day if we could swim with the whale sharks he seen on tv. and i started thinking keep smoking and i will never make it so i will try again i have quit once for 6 years why i started again i will never know so good luck  i think keep trying and will succeed

Offline blackstump

• ''LIFES TO SHORT TO BE SMALL''
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 09:10:43 AM »
Thanks Eddy.

It will be great to share the achievement with someone. I think if we make it through the first couple of weeks all should be good from there on in.

Are you going to look into the champix tablets. I was going to talk to my doctor about them tomorrow as from all reports they wont hurt the process.

Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes. Things are looking up. I have not had a smoke tonight and i dont even feel like one, imagine how things will be when i actually start giving up.

My wife is going to ration me to 15 cigarettes per day as from monday and i will give her all my cards so i cant cheat for the first few weeks. I figure if i dont have any money available to me then i cant buy any cigarettes to smoke...lol

Cheers

if you go the tabs mate, those 15 smokes will last you 3 weeks...I was lucky to be havin 3 for an entire weekend

IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 09:47:31 AM »
.....get up & do something else

some great advice from Hem here Glen.....so next time you feel like a smoke, get off your arse and come around to my place and mow my lawn or wash my fourby for me.....lol
oh and you can pick up that fridge your buying off me also once you pay for it...lol
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 09:54:15 AM »
some great advice from Hem here Glen.....so next time you feel like a smoke, get off your arse and come around to my place and mow my lawn or wash my fourby for me.....lol
oh and you can pick up that fridge your buying off me also once you pay for it...lol

Lol.

I will mow your lawn for a fee...lets say for a 40l engel fridge...lol and you dont wash your fourby so why should I...lmao

www.themotleycrew.com.au

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »
Lol.

I will mow your lawn for a fee...lets say for a 40l engel fridge...lol and you dont wash your fourby so why should I...lmao
need that fridge money for my new tyres, probably just getting 4 new KM2's now regardless if i sell the MTZ's. as for washing the fourby...well it's still dirty from my trip to LCMP and then Sundown Nat. Park  :-[ ;D ;D

good luck with giving up the ciggies mate, the money saved will pay for your fuel bill on our trip later this year.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 07:28:45 PM »
Ok, today I went and visited the Doc and he prescibed champix tablets. I went to the chemist and picked up the starter kit. Although I believe this time that I have the will power to quit I figure the tablets will make things easier as others have had great sucess with them.

Once again thanks for the support everyone and I will start the Champix tomorrow morning as prescribed to keep on track with my quit date of Monday week.

Cheers

www.themotleycrew.com.au

Offline Cozzie

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Jets
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
Alan Carr - How to quit smoking is a great book with excellent humour...i read it and i stopped i gave it to 3 other friends and they quit aswell......but you must read the whole the book....dont stop halfway!!!I thought at first what a load of tripe but my wife bought me the book....first chapter and i was hooked on quitting

good luck and its easier than you think...the nicotine & your habits will tell you otherwise....just read the book you will see...
I read this same book 15 years ago and have not smoked or even wanted to since, it really worked
hope it works for you what ever way ya go.
2008 Holden Colorado - 2012 19.61-2 OB Jayco Starcraft

Offline V8100

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »
Thanks Eddy.

Cheers

I am going to use the patches at first. I am ready to give up now i never finish a smoke anymore get half way through and think i dont really want it. I think if i can not have the morning ciggie it will help heaps.

cheers eddy
2010 Navara d22(gone)
2004 jayco swan
2003 V8 cruiser

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2011, 10:23:01 PM »
Only losers quit!

But yeah it would be good.
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »
I think if i can not have the morning ciggie it will help heaps.

cheers eddy

Thats a bloody good plan, And it does help.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Vince

• Tent User
    • Central Coast 4WD Club
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2011, 11:35:22 PM »
I went for a medical 4 weeks ago for my transit authority application and near crapped myself as to how unfit I was. I since cut down from 30 a day to 12 then to 6 and now to none. I use the same method In gave away drinking (no I don't miss it) use the power of the mind and when you feel the urge to pick up tell yourself "Do I Need This"

I also found exercising a healthy help and in doing so it helped me keep away from the smokes specially from the feeling of the body being rejuvenated, so many pluses here.

Hope you have success   8)

Offline stepheng

• Tent User
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2011, 08:13:55 PM »
Good on you Mr Mac Gu,

I have been a smoker for over 20 years and in the last seven years, since I have had kids I have given up three times. Once by willpower, once by hypnosysis and once by tablets. The longest period was the tablets - 12 months.

I decided it was time to quit again, for the cost, kids, not a good look as I work in the health industry and cos these days you are seen as a lepor. I have even nearly had a full on fight recently in the street, cos someone thought they had the right to tell me that I stink and am discusting (well they were overweight and should stop going to Krispy Kremes I say!!!)  I have been a staunch advocate for smoking as to be honest I really enjoy the habit and nothing better when having a beer. It really is a nice way to get away from kids, work etc and have a couple of minutes time out.  I also hate the current nanny state attitude which is prevailing in our society, against everything that is bad for you but that is another rant.

Anyway, I used the Champix and started them a couple of weeks ago and havent had a fag for the last week or so. They do work and you still need will power but definantly not as much. Only take them when you have eaten or you will feel sick. I am having trouble sleeping and somenights will be awake to after 1am. I try to take the tablets in the early afternoon, not sure it is making any difference to the lack of sleep though.

Regardless it is worht it and will persist the main reason is I do want to see my kids longer. My Doctors is very good and  used to be a smoker ans is always encouraging me. I will leave these words of wisdown he shared with me" You may not live any longer but it jesus it will feel like it"

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2011, 08:31:55 PM »
The Challenge has begun........................................

Well first day on the Champix today...

No real side effects yet other than a bit of a dry mouth (this may change as the dosage gets stonger)

Although I wasn't planning on cutting back until Monday I have not really felt like smoking much today. I probably only had about 10 or so and mostly while driving.

www.themotleycrew.com.au

Offline Paul Mac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Bolwell Edge
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2011, 11:49:56 PM »
Well done. Taking that first step is enormous but by deciding to take it your over half way there.

Cheers.

Offline Kman

• Swag User
    • Camper Trailer Rental
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »
Well bugger it, I have about a 1/4 of a pack left, have quit for 12 months on patches before (went fishing and took it up again), quit for 3 months on the champix, my experience with those is that eventually the ciggies just taste terrible and you dont want one, so Mr. Mac, I am with you, got some Champix left and will visit DOC for another script Monday, gonna do it. My wife hates kissing me, having kids now (1st, at 14 months old) puts a perspective on caring to live as long as possible. So I am with you, and will set the dates in my calendar......Champix starts tomorrow. Im over it. Thanks for the motivation, look forward to ....er.....working with you????
Complete Campsite Nomad and Mitsi Triton

Offline jaycamrie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »
OK MR MAC
 tonights the night patches go on tommorrow i will no longer be a smoker  ???  , at least i hope so good luck to all who take up the challenge espeacially me  ;D