General > General Discussion

What did you do in your shed / man cave today?

(1/1389) > >>

kylarama:
For me a bit of alone time in my shed is the ultimate R&R.  Some like to snooze on the couch or lounge around by the pool, but for me pottering around in the shed on a weekend is the perfect wind down after a busy working week.

So considering this forum has many people who are pretty hand I thought why show off what we get up to in our man caves.  Doesn't matter if its your driveway, carport, 3m X 3m garden shed or a drool worthy kitted out workshop.

For me today was suposed to consist of re-oiling the garden furniture after pressure cleaning and sanding it the other week.  Then it was of to Rosebud in the arvo to catch up with the family for the night.  Jumped in the car, turn the key and click, click, click.  Now this happened a few weeks ago and I thought is was just a loose battery terminal, which after a clean and tighten came good.  A phone call to a mechanic mate and it was diagnosed as burnt out contacts on the solenoid.  A common Hilux problem.

So out it came and a good file down and sand of the plunger and contacts its all good.  I'm reluctant to refit it though, I'll head out tomorrow and try and get a new solenoid plunger and contact kit, so I'm not redoing it in a few weeks/months.

Then it was onto the inlaws Waeco CF50 fridge.  It crapped itself a few years ago and now with a new (2nd hand) camper on the way they want it fixed.  A quick google of the error light code and it turns out its the model with the dodgy polyfuse problem.  It's usally a $300-$400 dollar fix by a Waeco repairer, but the actual part only costs $1.50!.  Waeco repace the whole circuit board, which is the hardest thing to remove.  It involves carfully bending the cooling pipes out of the way to get the board.

The culprit.

A trip down to Jaycar should have it sorted tomorrow.
This link was a big help.  http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com/t42448120/waeco-powersupply/?page=1&sort=oldestFirst

Last weekend was our annual boys weekend away at the Ballarat Swap Meet.  It's become a tradition over the last 15 years and with a quite few mates into hotrods and muscle cars it's a must.
A year or 2 ago I saw a neat setup up in the back of a troopy on a building site.  The bloke had taken an old cheapy 2hp direct drive air compressor, removed the 240v motor and pump and plumbed it up in the back with a twin pistion ABR compressor.
So when I spotted a little working 21L 2hp Super Cheap Auto compressor for $15 I couldn't resist.

The Bushranger compressor is just sitting on it and I still need to wire up a 40amp relay through the pressure switch and connect some anderson plugs.  Takes just under 4 minutes to get to 100psi and no leaks thanks to some liquid thread sealer, never using teflon tape again!
$15 dollars for a 21 litre air tank, pressure switch, gauge, 1 way valve and a pile a jamac type fittings!

Now just need to work out what to do with it?  Mount it under the camper or keep it portable?  Will be handy when we go on our trail bike weekends away.

So...  What did you do?

Marcus73:
Tinkered a bit more with the camper electrics. Did a general shed tidy up, washed, squeegeed and mopped the floor. Why I ever chose to paint my shed floor light grey is beyond me!!

evolution:
I filled mine with lots of boxes!  ;D two weeks to go and then I get my proper man cave back with a wood burner and tv lol

Cheers
Evo

Tim - Stratford:
This thread is a day late  ;D - I was in the cave yesterday. A mate came around so I could help him fit the Tigerz winch to his new bullbar on his 80 Series. A quick look through the contents of the box and it was off to the cave to fabricate a control box mount. Once that was done the winch was installed and wired and tested - all good.

Then back to the cave to make up a solar extension lead and mod a few other leads to be compatible for his setup (all with anderson plugs now).

We ran out of time but the next project may be to plasma cut an access area on the top deck of the bullbar to make it easier to activate the clutch lever.....

Today...just cleaned up a bit.....and cooked a leg of lamb on the Q  :cheers:

eman:
Fabricated a new roof rack for the Pajero using a $20 welder off eBay. Wanted a low profile rack that could hold the oztent and not cost the earth. Used the Thule feet I had from the old bars along with some unistrut for the cross bars. Total weight is 19kg. Just need to slap some paint on it now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version