Author Topic: Hi...How long is a piece of string  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Heavyweight

• Learning the Ropes
Hi...How long is a piece of string
« on: March 20, 2015, 07:11:56 PM »
Hi,great forum, lots of info...

My story.....well it's long and complicated....but right at this point in time, I'm in a situation where I need to pack up the wife and twin 22 month old daughters and travel so we hopefully can both find work..

I first considered a Family/Bunk style caravan, having spoken to some people also from personal experience, there are some places/parks that will not accommodate a 22ft van. (also the fuel cost associated with towing something this size)

Next I looked at hard floor campers (which are still an option)

Then came across the "Hybrids" ie Echo Kavango and the Conquerer series UEV440/490, at this point they seem to be the best option (mainly for setting up, having the twins means constant stopping feeding and sleeping, these hybrids enable the doors to be opened and the babies getting a sleep almost anywhere.)

Since we really don't know where we are going or for how long, am wanting something tough that will manage some rough stuff (travel, not from the twins abuse).

Will be towing with Nissan Patrol...

So, I guess my question is....has anyone done similar, does anyone have some other input regarding Van/Hybrid/Camper.

Thanks

KingBilly

Re: Hi...How long is a piece of string
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 07:35:55 PM »
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.  What's your budget for a CT/van?

Happy camping
KB

Offline Heavyweight

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.  What's your budget for a CT/van?

Happy camping
KB

Probably about the 50k mark give or take....

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 08:47:29 AM »
Mate, there's an awesome Kimberly Camper for sale in the classifieds.
Top price too :cup:

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline Hoffy

• Tent User
  • I love lamp!!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »
Budget is the probably going to be your biggest deciding factor.

We recently upgraded from a Kimberly Kamper hardfloor to a Echo Kavango.  Pretty much for the same reasons you are looking at.

The Kavango ticked our (missus) box's because:
1.  Sleeps 4 comfortably
2.  Super quick to set up.
3.  Light and small enough to tackle rough tight tracks and tow behind our 2.5 lt diesel navara
4.  Has an outdoor kitchen. 
5.  Has an internal ensuite to use as toilet or shower. (great with kids)

It was one of the cheaper hybrids that suited our needs. and we were prepared to spend it as it is good quality and the missus and I can still use it when we become grey nomads without kids.

It hasnt got some of the flash extras such as aircon, indoor kitchen and the main bed has to be converted into a table dining suite if you want to eat inside.  But to us the inside of the camper is pretty much for sleeping only and inside if it is absolutely pissing rain.  If your inside cooking and in aircon then we believe your NOT really camping and probably crossing that line between Camping and Glamping.

In saying that, there are some other great hybrids to consider around the same price bracket as the Kavango.  Such as Lifestyle Campers AT10 AT12, Northcoast Campers and we also didnt mind the Golf Savannah 499.

If you are considering the Kavango, there is a great thread going in the Crossover section with mods that people have done and everyone is really helpful.

Good luck in your research and decision