Author Topic: Small Mig welder  (Read 7129 times)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Small Mig welder
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 09:05:29 AM »
Also, never underestimate the importance of good clean power. Keep extension leads out of the equation and  get a 15a plug in your man cave if at all possible. Current is everything with these small units. Also pay attention to the chart on the inside of the wire feed door - it means stuff. Having a pos or neg feed handpiece makes a difference to whatever your setup is going to be for a particular job.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 09:13:39 AM »
I was similar, were going to buy 2nd hand but when I looked for a while, there were no good buys, so new was the best option.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2020, 05:01:51 PM »
I have a CIG Weld 150, it does a pretty good job at sticking bits of metal together.

The only issue I had was the polarity was reversed when I got it, which threw me for a bit.

I only run gas, but cylinder rental is a bit of a pain each 3 months. I really should buy one.

Its a 15A job, but there is a 135 that I think runs off 10A available. If you don't have a 15A plug in the shed, then it is worth getting one fitted. Wiring in a new power point and circuit breaker can be a bit of $$, but if you have a surplus of double 10A outlets, then getting one swapped to a 15A might be an option?

The duty cycle isn't huge, but I haven't overheated it as of yet.

https://www.cigweld.com.au/product/weldskill-150-mig-portable-welding-machine/

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2020, 05:22:09 PM »
I'm gong to get a bottle from total tools tomorrow I'm looking at a size C this will help with storage as my shed is a massive 3 X 1.5m   :-[

I only just bought a MIG last weekend and got the bottle from Bunnos… made me feel slightly better that I could return if required and get my 200 back if I wanted (assuming I have the receipt as they said its necessary). Gas was same price as Total Tools.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 06:06:01 PM »
The other reason I went with bunnings, is I often do a fair bit of tinkering at night, so that's when I am likely to run out, as they are open later it means I could more likely swap when it suited.

Offline bagpuss

• Tent User
  • Living the dream
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2020, 07:05:35 PM »
I would love any wall socket in my shed but its only a 3m x 1.5m tin shed so its probably the worlds smallest work shop/man cave 
I've set it up with 3 filing cabinets at one end and a cupboard and filing cabinet at the other with some wood across them to make a shelf  the photos are taken with an Iphone using panoramic to show the complete inside, My work bench slash storage works but I have to move every thing around when I want to use something I'm hoping to store all my larger tools in and on the new bench this will make using them easier and safer

Re the bottle gas ive gone with a size C argon 5/2 mix for a mig from total tools This will be enough I hope and the size will help with space

Here are some photos showing the shed Its messy but it will give you a idea of what i'm working with the photo with the bikes gives you idea how small im talking, I'm in the middle of restoring a mini one of the photos show me rebuilding the rear subframe

Lighting is 12v led strips run from a old deep cycle battery that is charged via a solar panel on the roof   
When i need 240 power I run a  10amp extension lead in to the shed via the pipe shown in the photo this keeps it safer when it rains

If anyone knows a better way to set it up please feel free to chip in

Mike
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:07:23 PM by bagpuss »

Offline wetduck

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2020, 11:49:35 AM »
if you find you're not getting a strong consistent arc, power supply could be a problem with a long lead. I've made up a couple of 25m leads using 2.5mm wires.

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2020, 02:42:17 PM »
The other reason I went with bunnings, is I often do a fair bit of tinkering at night, so that's when I am likely to run out, as they are open later it means I could more likely swap when it suited.
my thoughts as well, public holidays etc
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline ab56452001

• Tent User
  • Big Al
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2020, 12:35:30 AM »
   bagpuss.

I bought a cheap mig welder many years ago, i think the brand name is Media Mig, and it hasnt missed a beat yet.
Not sure of the brand you are looking at,but the point is if you are only using it in a handy man scenario then there is nothing wrong with the cheaper ones.
Agree , i have a Bossweld 185with a plug for a spool gun( i run this Mig Gassless ) and a have a Bossweld 186s that can be run with a Tig attachment , its a Digital Unit. ( run it with Mig Mix Gas ) cos i cant be bothered swaping reels ! . Both from Bunnings , 2 years no probs , cheers.
The following users thanked this post: bagpuss

Offline bagpuss

• Tent User
  • Living the dream
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2020, 06:45:41 PM »
So I went with the Bossweld MST185 as it looked to have all that I will need and more, It will do Mig Stick and Tig just need to buy the tig torch as a upgrade part I've been using the mig set up with gas I'm really liking this machine as i can get a ok weld from it
Ive started making my new work bench that will house all my larger tools including the welder so its earning its keep already
Here are some photos of how its coming along

Offline bagpuss

• Tent User
  • Living the dream
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2020, 06:47:04 PM »
The bench

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2020, 12:25:53 PM »
If that's your first attempt at welding, you're pretty good there mate.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline bagpuss

• Tent User
  • Living the dream
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2020, 06:34:24 PM »
If that's your first attempt at welding, you're pretty good there mate.
Thanks Troopy  :cheers:
Its not my first go I'm a spray painter and also a Pom  :angel:  When I did my trade training we had to do both panel beating and spray painting so I did some welding then and also through my time in the trade  I'm interested in giving Tig a go so maybe at tax time ill look at a tig torch and have a go 
Mike

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »
I'm not a welder, nor really had much to do with them tradewise, but I did have a job a few years back repairing stick, MIG TIG and plasma gear. So as part of the job you had to test everything. Spent lots of hours playing with MIG and TIG, and lots of fun. TIG is like the Zen of welding. Very therapeutic, especially if you're welding thinnish sheets together and not needing filler rod. I have done quite a bit of stick welding though, in projects around the shed.

I think the main thing though is to be in a comfortable position, and good vision. If you're trying to weld awkward angles and wear glasses, it can be a real PITA.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline fisher

• Tent User
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2020, 05:57:31 PM »
Those welds look great - I can only dream of getting quality welds like that with my stick welder.  I particularly admire those welds along the open tube - I just manage to blow holes in them and then spend ages filling and grinding.  Well done.

Offline bagpuss

• Tent User
  • Living the dream
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »
Those welds look great - I can only dream of getting quality welds like that with my stick welder.  I particularly admire those welds along the open tube - I just manage to blow holes in them and then spend ages filling and grinding.  Well done.

Thanks I think its mainly due to the mig more than me  I'm not good with stick but like using mig

Offline bagpuss

• Tent User
  • Living the dream
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2020, 07:11:10 PM »
I'm not a welder, nor really had much to do with them tradewise, but I did have a job a few years back repairing stick, MIG TIG and plasma gear. So as part of the job you had to test everything. Spent lots of hours playing with MIG and TIG, and lots of fun. TIG is like the Zen of welding. Very therapeutic, especially if you're welding thinnish sheets together and not needing filler rod. I have done quite a bit of stick welding though, in projects around the shed.

I think the main thing though is to be in a comfortable position, and good vision. If you're trying to weld awkward angles and wear glasses, it can be a real PITA.

I hear you about the glasses and angle thing  Like you said it looks to be an enjoyable way to weld and some of the welds you see are more Art than fabrication