Author Topic: Uluru closed to climbers - Permanently  (Read 13322 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Uluru closed to climbers - Permanently
« on: November 01, 2017, 10:37:10 AM »
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/permanent-ban-on-climbing-uluru-to-be-considered/news-story/bb0759a14cd3e0a27d9a63a040150b3e

Trying to find confirmation but allegedly they have voted to ban climbing the rock. 

Shame for those that haven't made it to the rock yet and did wish to have the option to climb. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
Re: Uluru closed to climbers - Permanently
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 10:38:57 AM »
They are voting at some stage of today, I havent seen the outcome yet?
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

KingBilly

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:44:15 AM »
Decision due by midday from what I read

KB

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 11:03:42 AM »
far out....

am glad i did it
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »
So you have signs saying
“Under our traditional law, climbing is not permitted,”

Why do you think tourists who don't speak engrish don't climb it ??? Also having it open/closed when it suits doesn't help..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 11:18:02 AM »
That’s a shame.......I climbed it was back in the late 90’s

The original land owners constantly ask (which I have no problem with) and I reckon the nation is doing a reasonable job at giving.

It seems to be only one way. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »
Glad I climbed it years ago then, can't say I personally have an interest in going back if you can't climb it....walking around it didn't give me any special spiritual feelings that other visitors say they get from the place.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline A-frame81

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 11:46:44 AM »
I'm pretty cranky with this. I'm planning a trip to the centre in a few years and was looking forward to climbing it as one of the highlights of the trip.
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »
So you have signs saying
“Under our traditional law, climbing is not permitted,”

Why do you think tourists who don't speak engrish don't climb it ??? Also having it open/closed when it suits doesn't help..
I saw that sign a few years ago when i was there, out of respect for their wishes i chose not to. I enjoyed just being there

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: themissus

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
What confuses me is that as Bird said "Under our traditional laws, climbing is not permitted" but didn't the Aborigines used to climb it and have ceremonies up there??

So ok for them but not us?
The following users thanked this post: Rusty, sol

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 11:53:41 AM »
Im ok either way to be honest.

Ive been there a couple of times and each occasion I didnt climb it. I wouldnt even if it is encouraged. Over 30 people have fallen off the thing and died...I didnt want to be one of them ;)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Jules456

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »
What a coincidence that we are here at Yulara.  Went on a tour with a ranger yesterday.  I learnt lots of interesting things.  I lived in NT for 30 years and climbed it many years ago but so many things I never knew.  The aborigines never used to climb it, it was just part of their dream time stories.  I personally liked the way they discourage the climbing but still allowed it.  Hope they don't close it as we all know when things get ruled out that's when all the anger comes out. The rangers indicated the climb was only closed in extreme heat and windy conditions.  They do monitor during the day and open it when they can. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03, Humphreythebear

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 11:57:41 AM »
You have 2 years to climb it if your that way inclined....not closed yet.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/lifestyle/climb-may-be-banned-today/news-story/1302b4d486684c8a05fdbddb376228ff

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 12:00:37 PM »
I'm pretty cranky with this. I'm planning a trip to the centre in a few years and was looking forward to climbing it as one of the highlights of the trip.
Chances are it would have been closed due to heat or wind or whatever anyhow, it was last time I took my family there, and it was a nice cool overcast day with little to no wind about...no idea why it was closed really.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »
https://parksaustralia.gov.au/uluru/do/we-dont-climb.html

This is the current info, closing the climb has been on the cards for close on 20 years. The long term agreement has been rangers will assess the weather and conditions every day before the park opens, and threat of heat/rain and  a few other things mean it will be closed. The numbers climbing are monitored, and the agreement has been that it will be reviewed and when numbers drop below 20% it may be closed permanently.
I've visited plenty of times in the last 9 years living in Central Australia, and have had a ball doing so many other things besides climbing it.
Mt Sonder and Mt Zeal are great mountains to climb in NT, if climbing thing's is what you like.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
Have visited 3 times, even got married there. Rode a bike around it but really had no interest in climbing it.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
I first visited Ayers Rock in '75. As soon as we stopped, a group of TLO's appeared and took us on a guided tour for the entire day. Cost us I think 20c. For a further 10c we got corroboree sticks n boomerangs decorated with burns from fencing wire heated up in a fire.
The tour included a walk to the top and around - women one way, men the other due to certain sacred sites. This included visiting some of these sacred sites.
We were told that there are several "elevated" sacred sites as well!!

These TLO's didn't object to climbers, nor when I returned in '82 when I tracked one of the original crew from '75 in Alice.

What changed??.........methinks the green's mentality of shutting everything down to "protect" it by pissing in the pockets of pollies down thru the rangers to the current TLO's whom I'm lead to believe are not the same mob from previous as they were ousted when there was money starting to enter the picture.

The same Shite is going on with the Canning and other venues where funds are involved. The canning in now broken up into 3 TLO's whereas originally it was only 1 mob.

Read into that what you will, but as usual, we are all getting the wool pulled over our eyes and broken glass in the Vaseline.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »
How unusual, Put up signs everywhere Imploring people not to climb and low and behold numbers of people wanting to climb drop to a magic 20% cut off  point  ;D
Would be interesting to see  what the percentage of visitors who climbed would have been like today, if Rangers didnt close the climb at any given period and no signs begging you not too  compared to the stated 75 % of visitors earlier  .. nBut then again people are fatter and lazier these days .
Who can see a $$$$  to climb next maybe, on a specialy guided cultural tour experience of course.
Good luck to em ..
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:08:29 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 02:23:51 PM »
Quote from: Rumpig
Chances are it would have been closed due to heat or wind or whatever anyhow, it was last time I took my family there, and it was a nice cool overcast day with little to no wind about...no idea why it was closed really.
I have heard this sort of Shit regularly too.. few members of our club went there and it couldn't have been better weather - sunny, mid 20's no rain on the horizon etc ... CLOSED

Edit: add to it "national park management also revealed the climb was closed 77.3 per cent of the time due to dangerous weather or cultural reasons. "

FWIW I'm not driving that far to pay exorbitant prices for everything around the place not to climb it... For me its the reason to go.. theres plenty of photos of the rock around the interwebs..
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:39:13 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »
Dont really care

I got far more satisfaction photographing the rock at dawn and seeing it change before my eyes than trying to climb it with a 100 other tourists of various fitness levels that i got stuck behind
I Drink & I Know Things
The following users thanked this post: themissus

Offline paul.o

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »
to be closed in 2019 - I hope they don't just "close" it until then. As mentioned, a big factor in going out there. I've wanted to climb it for as long as I can remember.

Offline Gryphen

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »
Go to WA and Climb Mt Augustus.. the worlds largest monocline :)
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »
We did the center trip in 1996 from SA to the NT, we climbed it then, We did the gorges and other things but it was the Rock and the flight over it and the Olgers  that made the trip for us,  Was looking forward to taking my kids out the climb it, What a load a rubbish, Not worth driving out there if you can climb it,  Oh well somewhere else will get our money. Craig
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:14:39 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »
I am with the folks that chose not to climb it, the 3 times we have been there. I was chuffed just to be near it. The first time we were there we went out to watch the sunset with heaps of others. It was more like a carnival with people setting up tables with their food, grog and chairs, wasn't a spare parking spot to be had, and all were having a blast. It was a real memory maker. Last 2 times we went out to have another look and b*gger all people showed up and it wasn't as exciting.

On the first trip the aborigines where telling us the reason they're requesting people not to climb it was that they felt responsible for mishaps that occurred to those that climbed. We thought fair enough, although others in our group still went up. It is just a personal decision.

We also walked around it in the heat and I wasn't greatly impressed. Anything that was anywhere near interesting was a no photography area due to being a sacred site, which cheesed me off.