Author Topic: Do you like this small caravan model?  (Read 14788 times)

Offline DiverBob

• I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Like Cheese Cutters in the sand.....
    • Picasa Web Albums - DiverBob1
Re: Do you like this small caravan model?
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:59 AM »
Alanpeng, I can't add anything to the design comments... It's all been said by other contributors.

However, I would underline the comments about quality and robustness.

Chinese products have a poor reputation in Australia, being seen as built poorly to keep the price low. Whether this is right or wrong, it is just the way it is. Taiwan, Korea, and Japan all faced the same problem when they first started to export to Australia.

Part of the problem is that Australian conditions are very harsh, and products that don't take that into account don't survive here, damaging the manufacturer's reputation in the process.

As an example, Toyota and Nissan overcame the problem by building a 4WD that could survive the Australian conditions, Kia and Great Wall still have to learn this lesson.

Cheap campers are plentiful in Australia, but they do not fare well. If you are going to do this, you need to build something that can survive more than a couple of trips before becoming a wreck.

If you are serious, you'll need to trial your prototype. I've trialled vehicles in the past, and it isn't simply a matter of going out for the weekend. Your prototype is going to have to spend at least a month on all types of roads.... Australian roads.... before you know what will break.

I'm not saying you should bush-bash the prototype, but you need to take it the places your target market is likely to take it.... And it needs to come out the other side without major faults.

Another thing.... Australians hate being lied to. If you are going to market as an off-road unit, then make sure it is capable of weeks of corrugated dirt highways and the occasional river crossing. If not, then market as an on-road unit.

If you really want to trial your prototype, let me know. I normally rent a camper for my annual family holiday, and I normally write a performance report for the manufacturer as a courtesy. Perhaps we can arrange for your prototype to spend four weeks doing what Australians will expect it to be able to do.

Good luck with your business venture.

Cheers, Bob

Bob and The Mob.

If you can't repair a tyre, why the hell are you out here?

____ ____   |===|O==O|
          {___{____}  |[][]   [][ __ ]|,_          
          [_--_[_(( )]   |_--__[]--[:O=O:]      
            ( )) - ))        ( ))o-))( ))o-))

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
Comments that I have deamed as borderline racist have been deleted and will NOT be tolerated.

Cheers, Craig
Cheers, Craig

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »
Thank you

Offline Memem284

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
Just another note re Chinese vs Australian build. I don't have much experience with caravans (currently have a Jayco Eagle) but have owned 4 different horse floats over the last 10 years or so.
It seems the caravan world and horse float world has many similarities when looking at different brands.
When I bought my last float, I investigated Australian made floats and a particular brand Chinese built float. The Australian made ones were generally strongly made with robustness and safety for horses and owners alike.
The Chinese built one was very flash, cheap in price in comparison, but lacked so much re safety it was scary. Light weight steel frame underneath, rust starting to show on floats still in the display yard! The chinese brand definitely doesn't advertise where it is made and tend to be cagey when asked.
I would suggest, be careful when choosing an overseas made caravan, it may look like it has everything that opens and shuts, but it's what's underneath and how it's built that counts.

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »
LOL .... how short is she ?.

We were all set to buy a Conqueror then at one of the show LB stood beside the kitchen and realised it was so high that she would have trouble seeing what was cooking in the pots on the stove! OK, she may not be the tallest person around but is not THAT short :D.

Ended up turning us off and we are going to move to a KK now.

Online austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 08:11:27 PM »
LB stood beside the kitchen and realised it was so high that she would have trouble seeing what was cooking in the pots on the stove!

Hi,
  I was looking at a Cambridge Caravan (smaller fiber glass model made locally) but I couldn't stand at the sink and wash-up. The pan of the sink was too low to reach my hands into with out bending my back or standing with feet apart. My feet were too long to stand close to the sink (no foot space under the cabinet) and my face was jammed hard up against an over head cupboard that had no right being right above the sink.

Ok, my Innovan isn't perfect either in foot space department either. It is just one of my pet hates having no foot space under cupboards/benches that are designed to be stood by to work.

So allenpeng, if you are designing from the ground up on a new design, consider some foot-space for us bigger footed & taller blokes for your sink / stove space and working benches.

cheers

bunyip

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 08:00:32 AM »
rockman,

I refuse to comment on the grounds it may incriminate me even more  ;D

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »
I have looked into these vans as they are the next type we will buy- if we could find anything on the market to suit- but we are having to look at a 18" foot bushtracker as the only ready made alternative- around 1 tonne heavier than where I would like to be.

The "hybrid" market has one design feature missing at the moment and that is providing room for kids....
My Quantum has 2 kids beds, a single bunk above the main bed plus the table converts to a second bed. You can also get a double bunk instead of the single, for a total of 3 kids beds.

Having 2 kids in the van is a bit squeezy, but you go camping to be outside (hence the outside kitchen) and only go inside to sleep. Many years ago I had a Windsor Rapid but as good as they are, I have found my Quantum to fit my family requirments better.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 06:45:41 AM »
Personally, i don't want to offend anyone here.. But seriously!!!!

For a manufacturer from China wanting to knock off a well built Australian made Camper, by posting onto this forum and literially putting pictures of the product they are about to "COPY" onto this web site and ask for feedback.

Your question can be easily answered!  Firstly... You want to COPY their design. Well if you are thinking about it, then it must be worthwhile. Secondly i am NO longer going to post any of the suggested build tips onto this forum, if people in China are sitting there ready to knock off and copy any good idea that someone in Aussie can come up with.

Firstly, instead of just writing 'I'm going to build a van, what do you think?' Ask 10 people, you'd most likely get 8 varations I what they envision he'd be building. I believe the pic was posted so readers could see what he had in mind.

As for copying & knock-offs...isn't there a build story here where not just 1, but 2 near enough replica of a CT was built...by Aussies?
And what about this CT's build story title/heading "New Camper Build - Cross Between Ultimate & Kimberly Karavan"
Sure, they were copied for personal usage, & not mass production...but mass production could just as easily been the idea!

Do I agree with the what this thread is about? No!
But I don't like hypocrites either.
Bob and Robyn

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
Well said

:cheers:

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 02:06:25 PM »
Well said

:cheers:

Seems I have an apology to make
Seems I have offended a few people on this thread ... Lol
Justin , I make a joke that you should delete your thread build , a joke , as you had mentioned that you where going to do in case there where people watching and taking idea's from your build .
For that I will apoligize .
The people that contacted Justin regarding my comment , what-ever !
Actually had a bit of a think about it , those people that I must have offended ,you know who you are ,  here's my email address theearthworksco@qldnet.com.au , if you have a pair , email me with your concerns on how I offended Justin or his camper , he already has .
I will gracefully bow out of this thread and most likely the forum .
Seems there is too many precious people on here now that easly offended if you don't agree with them and unfortunately for me , if I have something to say , it will be said .
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:26:44 PM by rockman »

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 05:01:03 PM »
Seems I have an apology to make
Seems I have offended a few people on this thread ... Lol

Struggling to see where, have i missed something?

I can see there are differing views on the approach this thread took, but hey, we're all reponsible adults here!

Dont see any reason for Rockman to cut & run  ???
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

bunyip

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »
I'm with Mace,

A little robust discussion never hurt anyone, not that this has really even got robust.

Bunyip

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
Same here but apparently I have said ' un nice ' things and a few people have taken offence .
Pretty poor when you can't have a joke about something ... everyone is so
Hell ... I even had McGirr call my camper build nothing more then a pie van ... I didn't race off and have a sook  about it 8) .
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:27:13 PM by rockman »

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • MySwag.org - The Off-road Camper Trailer forum
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »
I have removed the images from Allenpeng posts.

I dont have a problem with someone asking for feedback on a design of a camper but displaying photos of someones else's product from their website and stating they will copy it, I feel is not on. Now if Allenpeng wishes to display his/her own product images then that is fine, but I wont allow images of someone else's Brand / Logo.

Cheers
Brett

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »
Wow I missed all the fun and it wasn't even in the electrical section :)

My 2 cents, I'm ok with a DIYer taking an existing design and making a one off for themselves. When you take an existing design and use it for your own benefit, i.e. manufacture to sell, that is where I draw the line. The idea proposed by the original request is bordering on intellectual property theft.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
That is fair, Brett

From my limited knowledge of this subject what Westerners know as copying or infringement of intellectual property, registered designs etc is absolutely no problem in some other cultures. It is absolutley no issue culturally and legally and in fact is regarded in a positive way - as a form of flattery!

I remember Mike Simcoe, "Mr Monaro" and an executive director of design at Holden/GM saying :"They've even copied our mistakes," in reference to copied GM car designs

The multitude of copied hardware; everything from small gennies, utes and about a million other items is testament to this 'culture'. 

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Dogsbreakfast

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
What about looking at these style of vans http://www.conqueroraustralia.com.au/plugins/content/plugin_jw_sig/showthumb.php?img=490/b.web1.jpg&width=200&height=200&quality=80  and http://blondesearch.ru/play/QpauUSmtJmA/UEV_490_Conqueror_Australia_off_road_trailer.html

Everything you could ask for including somewhere for the kids to sleep .

Conqueror australia are one of the biggest price gougers out there. Virtually the exact same models are about 1/3 of the price in sth africa than here.....
http://www.somuchviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/beer-holder.gif

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2012, 06:47:48 PM »
Conqueror australia are one of the biggest price gougers out there. Virtually the exact same models are about 1/3 of the price in sth africa than here.....

He didn't say buy one, and anyway maybe it's the price of doing business in this country
that makes em that dear.
Import duty, warranty, advertising and promotion of the product, after-sales
service not to mention the cost of a premises to run from. 

Offline Dogsbreakfast

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2012, 07:55:51 PM »
He didn't say buy one, and anyway maybe it's the price of doing business in this country
that makes em that dear.
Import duty, warranty, advertising and promotion of the product, after-sales
service not to mention the cost of a premises to run from.

I didn't tell him to buy one. Merely pointing out that competition is good thing, as without it - the abovementioned business turns a 25k camper into a 70k one. Is gouging included in the costs of doing business in this country.....

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »
I didn't tell him to buy one. Merely pointing out that competition is good thing, as without it - the abovementioned business turns a 25k camper into a 70k one. Is gouging included in the costs of doing business in this country.....

"Rockman didn't tell him to buy one" and I fail to see what gouging or competition has
to do with this thread ?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:10:09 PM by Mrs smith »

Offline Dogsbreakfast

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2012, 08:17:14 PM »

"Rockman didn't tell him to buy one" and I fail to see what gouging or competition has
to do with this thread ?

if the OP is going to build and then sell campers, then he is the competition - therefore this whole thread is about competition.....

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »
Going to ? one day the world will end too. PMSL

Offline Woodsie

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Off the beaten track in this Great Country of Ours
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2012, 11:22:25 PM »
Well done Brett, as said , we have an ethical way of doing things in this country.
Tony Woods 06 HZJ105 Turbo/IC
2012 Eureka Hard Floor Camper

Offline DiverBob

• I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Like Cheese Cutters in the sand.....
    • Picasa Web Albums - DiverBob1
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
I'm not sure we are all that ethical when it comes to CT design.... Trak Shak and Deluxe are identicle, and I doubt anyone knows who copied who in the KK, Pioneer, AORC, etc vein.

The small 'box on wheels' type is so common that I doubt anyone could hold a patent, so making one more isn't unethicle or immoral.

I doubt alanpeng was saying he is going to copy that example exactly, because he was asking for input into what people liked/disliked in the concept.

I'll concede that it was poor form to use someone else's commercial pictures (those are copyright), but thats a long way from unethical to build yet another small pop top camper.
Bob and The Mob.

If you can't repair a tyre, why the hell are you out here?

____ ____   |===|O==O|
          {___{____}  |[][]   [][ __ ]|,_          
          [_--_[_(( )]   |_--__[]--[:O=O:]      
            ( )) - ))        ( ))o-))( ))o-))