Author Topic: Misfueling Devices???????????  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
Misfueling Devices???????????
« on: November 04, 2018, 06:59:55 AM »
Just upgraded the old man's vehicle. Got him into a mint, low k 2013 Mitsubishi Challenger. It will be his first diesel vehicle and I am worried, after a lifetime of petrol powered vehicles,  that he's going to fill it with unleaded. Who got a misfueling device and how do you rate it. I was looking at this:-
https://www.waterindiesel.com.au/shop
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Misfueling Devices???????????
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 07:14:01 AM »
Never knew they existed. My parents put unleaded into their diesel motor home, got a few k's down the road and it didn't feel right. Pulled over and checked the receipt and figure it what they did.

Called a tow truck and then the insurance company. Everything covered under insurance. Worth asking your insurer if they cover it. Although prevention is always better

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Justin

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 08:32:50 AM »
I'd just make.sure it's covered under the insurance policy and move on, it depends on how modern the engine is as to how bad it is for it, I put about 15L in my work a little while ago, being a 90's vintage diesel I just topped up with about 45L of diesel and it was fine, blew noticeably less smoke for that tank and seemed to have a bit more get up and go

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 09:54:50 AM »
Personally, I'd be more worried if it was their first automatic rather than diesel...

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »
Personally, I'd be more worried if it was their first automatic rather than diesel...
????????????
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 01:25:25 PM »

????????????

Have a look at the number of children, spouses and bystanders hit by elderly drivers who accidentally hit the accelerator - I would suspect a number of them are automatics - particularly when reversing. Admittedly a lot of those are much older drivers (in their 70s +) but still something to be aware of.

Couple of examples:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-27/elderly-woman-killed-by-car-in-driveway/5220582 (car left in Drive, not Park)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/06/driver-90-killed-couple-knocking-pressed-accelerator-instead/ (Confused Accelerator for Brake - could happen in a manual as well)

Academic research:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3153815/
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1071181311551404?journalCode=proe

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »
????????????

Have a look at the number of children, spouses and bystanders hit by elderly drivers who accidentally hit the accelerator - I would suspect a number of them are automatics - particularly when reversing. Admittedly a lot of those are much older drivers (in their 70s +) but still something to be aware of.

Couple of examples:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-27/elderly-woman-killed-by-car-in-driveway/5220582 (car left in Drive, not Park)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/06/driver-90-killed-couple-knocking-pressed-accelerator-instead/ (Confused Accelerator for Brake - could happen in a manual as well)

Academic research:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3153815/
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1071181311551404?journalCode=proe
Yeah and have a look at the number of young drivers that have accidents and injure with their hooning or driving above their ability, doesnt have much to do with refueling a vehicle tho

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 02:46:05 PM »
Yeah and have a look at the number of young drivers that have accidents and injure with their hooning or driving above their ability, doesnt have much to do with refueling a vehicle tho

OP said it was their father's first diesel, to which I'd said I'd be more worried about it being their first automatic. One is a costly repair, other is risk of killing someone... both things take time to adjust behaviour... However, as most Australians drive autos, it's probably not as much of an issue as it is in Europe where manuals are much more commonplace.

An example of the time to change unconscious behaviour is how long it takes to get used to a European car's windscreen and indicator controls - takes me about 3 or 4 trips to not get the wrong function.
The following users thanked this post: Bigfish

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 08:17:53 AM »
One of my best mates recently bought his first diesel car and bought the following from his local Toyota dealership (Even though he drives a Ford)

it's for his piece of mind in case he forgot, but also if his Wife or Father borrowed the car it wouldn’t have crossed their minds it runs on Diesel. 

https://www.raa.com.au/shop/caravan-camping-and-4wd/off-road-gps-and-technology/solo-diesel-fuel-cap-sd2-thread
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:59:50 PM by Beachman »
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »
Never knew they existed. My parents put unleaded into their diesel motor home, got a few k's down the road and it didn't feel right. Pulled over and checked the receipt and figure it what they did.

Called a tow truck and then the insurance company. Everything covered under insurance. Worth asking your insurer if they cover it. Although prevention is always better

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

They were lucky. Everytime I get my renewal for my diesel cruiser I check some other companies as a comparison and all of them say no coverage for putting the wrong fuel in. Some don't even cover for accidential fuel contamination. For example AAMI in their PDS under what is not covered states-
"Incorrect fuel usage"
'loss or damage to your car (including damage to your car’s engine or fuel system) caused by the incorrect type of fuel being used.'  What company are they insured with?   Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »
I know I'm digging up an old thread but when we purchased the original Misfueling device for Dad's car I also grabbed one for mine. Wifey has put Unleaded in my Pajero previously but caught the mistake before any damage was done. Well bugger me if she didn't just do it again. Thankfully the device stopped her from putting fuel in and she realised what was going on. Grabbed the diesel nozzle and away she went. So the device has just paid for itself. She had borrowed my car to go BMX racing 200k's away. As I said to her, she would have been stuck 200k's away on a Sunday and a very pissed off husband waiting for her return.
Cheers, Mike.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 08:42:55 PM »
I know I'm digging up an old thread but when we purchased the original Misfueling device for Dad's car I also grabbed one for mine. Wifey has put Unleaded in my Pajero previously but caught the mistake before any damage was done. Well bugger me if she didn't just do it again. Thankfully the device stopped her from putting fuel in and she realised what was going on. Grabbed the diesel nozzle and away she went. So the device has just paid for itself. She had borrowed my car to go BMX racing 200k's away. As I said to her, she would have been stuck 200k's away on a Sunday and a very pissed off husband waiting for her return.
Cheers, Mike.

Does the device still let you use the high flow "big" nozzles ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 04:42:56 AM »
Does the device still let you use the high flow "big" nozzles ?
Nope.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 02:37:49 PM »
Nope.

So it's actually designed for petrol cars, and won't stop PETROL going into DIESELS.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »
So it's actually designed for petrol cars, and won't stop PETROL going into DIESELS.
No. It stops you from putting unleaded in diesels.  The diesel nozzle is larger than the unleaded one. Only the right sizes nozzle will open the flap contained inside the device.  The unleaded nozzle is to small to release the flap, therefore stopping unleaded being put in the tank.  The link i put above gives you the info.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 06:16:43 PM »
No. It stops you from putting unleaded in diesels.  The diesel nozzle is larger than the unleaded one. Only the right sizes nozzle will open the flap contained inside the device.  The unleaded nozzle is to small to release the flap, therefore stopping unleaded being put in the tank.  The link i put above gives you the info.

90% of the time I fill up using the "truck" nozzle, so it would be no good to me.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: Cruiser 105Tvan

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 01:22:54 PM »
90% of the time I fill up using the "truck" nozzle, so it would be no good to me.
I have one of the RAA ones, mainly for when Mrs Renno may be in it and have to fill it, not that has been the case in years.  I always try and use high flow pumps so obviously have to unscrew it but the fact your unscrewing a big yellow cap is a good reminder. WOuld have to unscrew a cap anyway. 
Renno :cheers:

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 12:33:15 AM »
We have one of these installed on our car and it works
https://www.sprintautoparts.com.au/solo-diesel-misfuelling-fuel-caps

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 06:44:44 AM »
I have one of the RAA ones, mainly for when Mrs Renno may be in it and have to fill it, not that has been the case in years.  I always try and use high flow pumps so obviously have to unscrew it but the fact your unscrewing a big yellow cap is a good reminder. WOuld have to unscrew a cap anyway. 
Renno :cheers:

Good point !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra