Author Topic: Kelly Country Day Tour.  (Read 5223 times)

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
Kelly Country Day Tour.
« on: March 25, 2012, 05:51:49 PM »
Here is an outline of the Day Tour Im proposing.

This tour is a snapshot of Kelly Country Heartland.  It doesnt, due to time and distance constraints, include visits to several other key Kelly sites in the Goulburn Valley/North East:

Avenel
Euroa
Woolshed Valley
Beechworth

Mansfield is only 20 minutes down the road, many will get a chance to visit on saturday on the way and view the Police Monument and grave sites at the cemetary if they wish.  Ill provide mud maps for this.

I would encourage those who attend to consider a day trip to the Woolshed (Eldorado) and Beechworth if you havnt been that way before.  Beechworth is approx 1.5 hours travel from Tolmie via Eldorado.

Anyway, the proposed itenerary for our Sunday and Monday Tours:

MORNING:  Depart Tolmie by 8:30 AM at the latest.

Stringbark Creek:  View Police Camp & Shootings site. Lonigan, Scanlon & Kennedy murdered here.

Travel to Benalla

Benalla:   Visit Old Court House and Bootmakers Shop (both intimately connected to Ned)
                 Visit Benalla Cemetery - grave  site of Joe Byrne, Old Tom Lloyd and Jane Quinn (Neds
                Aunt), Martin Cherry, Sambo, Dr Nicholson &  other  contempory figures. 
                Quick visit if time permits to Kelly display at local Costume and Pioneer Museum.

Travel to Greta West:  Travel thru lands previously held in Kilfeera Station holding of Robert
               McBean  to view    Kelly Selection & Homestead site (viewed from road adjacent).

Travel to Glenrowan:  Hopefully there by 1:30 PM.  Extended stay for lunch and viewing of Seige
               Site Historic  Precinct.  Plenty of time to purchase memorabilia of the day and visit private
               museums (2) which are  quite cheap to enter.   We have arranged a group booking for
               one at their coach rate, which is $3.50 a   head.  The other is   only   $2 a head entry. 

MID AFTERNOON

Travel to Greta:  Greta Cemetary.  Grave sites of Ellen Kelly & Children. Grave of Maggie Skillion,
               Neds sister. Gravesite of Dan Kelly and Steve Hart.
              Also graves of young Tom Lloyd - Maggies partner (unofficial 5th member of the gang)
              and other Lloyd family members.

Travel to Powers Lookout via Whitfield.  View where Ned was inducted into the arts of bushranging and highway robbery by the last of the "Highwaymen" - Harry Power.  Overlooking the King Valley and Glenmore Run, the property owned by Neds Grandfather and Uncles, the Quinns.

RETURN TO TOLMIE: 

Anticipated return time 5:30 PM.

Housekeeping (who goes on what day) will be finalised closer to the event.  I realise some people may only be attending for the Saturday/Sunday, not the Monday/Tuesday long break.  Those persons will have first crack at the Sunday Tour.

These are good resources  for other sites:

http://www.thekellytrail.com/nedkelly/

http://www.nedkellytouringroute.com.au/home/Beechworth/

Stay tuned for more info.

:cheers:  Al.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:36:49 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline GOLDIE

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Kelly Country Day Tour.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
Sounds fantastic mace. I'll have to watch the movie before I come down to have it all fresh in the head
Cheers, Ryano
Ready to Roll

2010 Goldstream Storm - 2006 Toyota Landcruiser GXL

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:17:58 PM »
That's a great agenda, should be a beaut :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »
After a recent visit to Mansfield and checking out the monument and the cemetery to look at the graves, we have managed to wet the appetites for history of Ned Kelly.
Was he a villain >:D or a hero  :cup:? I guess that is what we will decide on our journey.
Got a copy of Ned Kelly Uncovered the other day (Tony Robinson from Time Team) and it has been watched a couple of times.
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »

Was he a villain >:D or a hero  :cup:? I

That is one for the "Electrical" Section  ;D

Widely opposing views are still held by many. Kelly Forums have even more "robust" discussions than Myswag  Electrical.

The weekend will provide a background for those attending to formulate their own opinions and discuss them around the campfire.

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline mrdenn1s

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Dennis Does Cricket
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 10:06:11 AM »
Villain*

*Opinion subject to change based on the mood of the crowd
2014 Blue Water Tanami Soft floor Camper
2000 Landcruiser 105 GXL Inline 6
2011 Kia Sorento

Offline MADCOW

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Rescue Fish from Water and Beer from Bottles
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »
I do have the co-ords for the Police cave and Kelly's hideout near Chiltern, But a fair walk in I believe and it is on the "to do " list one day. Whilst we're not sure of our intentions as yet we'll keep an eye out for you all!
03 4.2 TDI Gu, Mountain Trail Extended Escape Camper,
 June 2018 Terrain Tamer Calendar

Offline poppasmurf

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »
Hi Mace, I am not that fussed about doin the day tours since I live in the area anyway, really looking forward to being able to relax and do bugger all for a few days, except a few(read lots of) coldies.

Cheers Shane
06 Terracan, 2010 cub kamperoo brumby