Author Topic: Car Insurance and Electrical fires  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Car Insurance and Electrical fires
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »
Hi All,

Thought I would share as I didn’t know this myself until last weekend at a BBQ. Got talking with a guy who is an insurance assessor for RACQ insurance (This is a very large insurance company in QLD)

During the conversation the subject came up about claims and he mentioned a client who’s 4WD was severely damaged by an electrical fire caused by dodgy wiring. I said it’s understandable insurance would pay if someone wired it up incorrectly, but I was stunned when he said unless the car is a ‘cleanskin’ which means no additional wiring from factory (IE:  spotlights, Anderson plugs, fridge plugs, dual batteries etc, then it’s basically a blanket reply that your insurance won’t cover you if there is an electrical fire)

Their insurance history tells them it’s extremely rare for a ‘stock standard/cleanskin’ car to catch in fire, but lots of cars/4wd’s do catch of fire from dodgy wiring.

So my advice is if you get any electrical work done by a shop them make sure you keep your receipts somewhere safe (Not is the car) and if you do it yourself, then make sure your confident. 

He is under the impression all companies are the same, but you may want to check you’re your individual company if you have any concerns.

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Car Insurance and Electrical fires
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:38:22 PM »
I found similar with my my CT insurance when reading thru their pds.
A lot of conditions imposed.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:23:43 PM »
So just whom is expecting compassion from an insurance  company  ??? ??? ??? ???
                  Have another  :cheers: & get over it      :cheers: :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:32:10 PM »
So just whom is expecting compassion from an insurance  company  ??? ??? ??? ???
                  Have another  :cheers: & get over it      :cheers: :cheers:

Pretty much. I think we all know by now that insurance companies aren't guardian angels with our best interests at heart! LOL!

But thanks Beachman for adding this bit of wisdom for those who aren't aware. Can't say it surprises me at all... forever the cynic. ;)
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »
Pretty much. I think we all know by now that insurance companies aren't guardian angels with our best interests at heart! LOL!

But thanks Beachman for adding this bit of wisdom for those who aren't aware. Can't say it surprises me at all... forever the cynic. ;)

Years ago the big WA insurers SGIO had the velvet throated Dennis Cometti fronting their TV ads.

And the slogan? We’re on your side.

Yeah? nah.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 09:56:30 PM »
Their insurance history tells them it’s extremely rare for a ‘stock standard/cleanskin’ car to catch in fire, but lots of cars/4wd’s do catch of fire from dodgy

I wonder if Jeeps are an exception to the rule  >:D

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 05:09:38 AM »
I wonder if Jeeps are an exception to the rule  >:D
:cup:  :cup: :cup: :cup:
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Online Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:53:42 PM »
I am sure this RACQ assessor believes he is correct but unless the wiring was done by the owner (incorrectly) there is nothing in any PDS I have written or read in the last 45 years to support the position he is alleging. It is even doubtful that an insurer would deny a claim if the owner had done a bodgie job but that is at least possible. If after establishing the cause of a fire it is likely the insurer could seek recovery against the party who did it but they would pay regardless of this. If one considers the proposition of not being insured for any post manufacture wiring then every car with a towing connection would be caught up given that manufacturers don't fit these. Sorry it is too silly for words. Insurers might be considered to be crooks by some but they aren't quite that mean.
Rowlie

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 11:10:56 AM »
Although not car related, over the last 12 years, I have worked on hundreds of small to very large jobs subcontracting to several insurance builders and have had extensive dealings with insurance companies and their assessors / loss adjusters.

Generally speaking, I have often been impressed just how far the insurance companies go to ensure that everything is done correctly and that the customers are looked after. Have even seen it happen many times when they could have got out of paying up on a technicality but did the repairs anyway, even spending $800,000 + on one recent job where they didn't have to.

No doubt, a lot of the reason would be in self interest, as they just don't want negative feedback or to appear on current affair type shows.

If you do the right thing and don't do dodgy stuff, then mostly the insurance companies will play ball. But as you can imagine, there are a hell of alot of scammers out there trying to fleece everyone else with fraudulent claims, and in the end, its everyone else who pays for these. So I am happy for insurance companies to just not pay out willy nilly as it means the costs to the rest of us can be kept under some sort of "control".
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »

Generally speaking, I have often been impressed just how far the insurance companies go to ensure that everything is done correctly and that the customers are looked after.

Have even seen it happen many times when they could have got out of paying up on a technicality

That's lucky for the claimants of wrecked 4WDs that have taken them for a swim in the surf at FI etc...   

I guess it's a technicality that the surf ain't part of the gazetted road...

Too bad these successful claims make the premiums a little it dearer for the rest of us....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »
Fuses and fuseable links as close to the battery as practicable is my main form of insurance for the electrical system.

For everything else I pay someone.