Author Topic: rear cargo area - full drawers or simple shelf  (Read 5198 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: rear cargo area - full drawers or simple shelf
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2020, 07:19:09 PM »
I could probably manage to take one but have never had any success posting them...Will pm you when done and if you wish I could email or sms to you.
Cheers
Appreciate that...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 08:27:38 PM »
Maybe I should post in what I did in the shed thread.
I too had beeen looking at the drifta set up ias depicted in one of the above photos  but at around a minimum of $1650 I considered my other options. I had seen a couple of mates who have made storage units using the aluminium 25mm tube lock fittings with success and so went down that track.
Yes I know photos are important at this time but unfortunately I have not got any yet. But the bases of the unit fit around of the shelf storage boxes from Bunnings including the Oats range, a fridge slide all fixed to a 17 mm form ply sheet which sits on the floor and will utilise the tie down points of my 5 seat Prado.
It is light in weight , easily put in and out.
I will try and get some pictures this week.
The following users thanked this post: paceman, Fizzie

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2020, 09:16:29 PM »
i did a bit more looking and am impressed with this unit...

can use the fridge when needed, but have the option of the flat space, when not...

This is the unit I have ordered for my new Patrol....for my car, it has a false floor so the drawer/fridge slide can be removed when not in use. The 3rd row seat cavity in the Patrol is different to the one in the Pajero so it’s not a like for like comparison.....give them a call but I suggest the underfloor access will probably be though a hatch underneath the drawer.

2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline NZMarkb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2020, 12:51:24 PM »
Off the shelf but work well and good bang for your buck

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If your not prepaired to stand behind our troops
Then feel free to stand in front of them

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2020, 03:10:43 PM »
We’ve been down the exact same path. We had a shelf in the Pajero. Mostly this worked well for us except we found the fridge too high for the Mrs and also the fridge cage on top of the shelf ate into the luggage space too much.

With the new Patrol, we went with Drifta drawers and a drawer fridge. We love this setup. Still lots of space on top for luggage and the fridge is at the perfect height. Helps though that the Patrol boot is HUGE! We leave the fridge in permanently. We live in the country and any trip to town we will visit a bigger supermarket and stock up. Very convenient.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 03:16:58 PM by shrek4 »

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 06:26:34 PM »
I gotta say the Drifta table is simply the best and most used thing in the neck of our Cruza. In the new one I’ll be going the same as above a fridge drawer with a drawer next to it . We simply don’t use the Engel in the back as it’s too high so a fridge drawer s perfect . If you are permanently mounting drawers in a Pajero work out how you can access the cavity for the seats . I’d put a bladder in if I had a pajero again .
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2020, 08:23:12 AM »
I gotta say the Drifta table is simply the best and most used thing in the neck of our Cruza. In the new one I’ll be going the same as above a fridge drawer with a drawer next to it . We simply don’t use the Engel in the back as it’s too high so a fridge drawer s perfect . If you are permanently mounting drawers in a Pajero work out how you can access the cavity for the seats . I’d put a bladder in if I had a pajero again .

the drifta drawers for the Paj have holes in the floor, so all you have to do is remove the drawer to get to the cavity...

we also love the idea of the table in-built in the drawer setup...

Offline envee

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired !! grey nomading.
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 09:10:02 AM »
When we had a Pajero and were setting it up for our trip from WA to NSW, I decided to go with shelves and made them myself using the connect-it tube and ply from Bunnings. We decided to go that way because of the weight of the draws and also the amount of space that is lost with them.

I bought storage boxes from Masters when they were closing down and was able to make the shelves to fit them and a fridge slide on the left and so that they were removable.  The fridge slide side had a fixed floor and I made a cover for the 3rd row seat area for the other side which still allowed access. Worked really well for us, the down side was the amount of gear we were able to pack! 
'14 Disco SE  '15 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

https://destinationpotatopoint.blogspot.com/

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2020, 09:38:19 AM »
Quote from: paceman

I think the fridge height in this would be good.. up higher and then it limits many people accessing it.. specially kits interrupting your relaxing around the fire wanting drinks etc
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »
I think the fridge height in this would be good.. up higher and then it limits many people accessing it.. specially kits interrupting your relaxing around the fire wanting drinks etc

this one is definitely what i am going to go with...

best of both worlds, with the removable fridge cover...

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 02:08:54 PM »
As mentioned in a previous post I have just finished making the below system in my Prado using the Aluminium 25 mm tube and Connect-it fittings, some Oats storage drawers and a couple of crates to fit. Only mess up was that I made a spot for a blow mould table we had but then decided that was too heavy so got a new table that takes up less space.
I also have a Kaon Barrier and shelf at roof level. https://www.kaon.com.au/storage/cargo-pet-barriers/
Happy with the outcome for a couple of hundred dollars. I already had the fridge slide mounted on a ply floor base.
Compressor is tucked in the side.

Note why does my photo orientate upside down?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:42:02 PM by rags »