Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260947 times)

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #525 on: November 03, 2015, 09:27:19 PM »
We upgraded the wiring in our Drover as we were losing a bit over 1V through the wiring (from memory). Made a bit of difference.

Also, the thermostat is not active running on 12V (our model - 3 years old). All or nothing  >:(
Please explain what thermostat you are referring too. If the fridge fitted is a three way Dometic fridge, running on 12 volt/240volt or lpg, there is no thermostat as such. These fridges work on gas flow principle and the only way you can effect the temperature is to close the pipe thru which the chlorine flows, that's usually a three way option, ie FULL, HALF, Quarter.
12 volt operation fridge should work just as good as on gas or 240 volts, (ours does) the main issue is power supply, the power must be drawn direct from your battery and there must be no loss between the battery and the fridge, ensure the wire and plug is of sufficient size to allow power flow unimpeded.

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #526 on: November 03, 2015, 09:51:08 PM »
Hi guys
Quick question, for those of you that have an internal 3 way  fridge .
We have a Supamatic  ,I was wondering if it was ok to run the fridge on 12v  while travelling. My query comes from the heat generated from the fridge and what if any damage could happen to the canvas etc.
Jeff
Jeff, I've had our Cub Spacematic for years now, and always use the fridge on 12 volt whilst traveling. The furtherest I've travelled in this manner was Perth to Meekathara in one go. Sure the canvas gets warm, but don't forget there is plumbing to vent the majority outside. Fridge worked fine, froze my tomatoes though, bugger.

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #527 on: November 03, 2015, 09:56:17 PM »
Just bought a new Cub Daintree Off-road about to work out out solar and noticed their wiring is inadequate.

Having chasing cub up in Sydney, the wiring that comes with the power pack is 4mm squared, was told they use this as standard, if you camping off the grid or charging from the alternator then it might be better to forgo the battery upgrade and DIY with adequate wiring.
Most definately a good idea.

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #528 on: November 03, 2015, 09:58:34 PM »
Itchvet,

Wondering if you couuld, by any chance show post a photo of what you have done with the velcro poles. My husband, like you, hates the bloody things and if we could find a solution to this it would solve the only real issue we have with the camper. We are about to head north and it would be great if we could solve this problem.

Cheers!
The Bockies

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, been away and not connected.
Give me a couple of days to get pics and I will endevor to post same here ASAP for folks to check out for themselves.

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #529 on: November 03, 2015, 10:02:49 PM »
I have a 2008 Spacematic Drover.  Have had ongoing problems with the zip and now we can't get it closed as it rounds the corner.  The zip just splits open even when there is little of no pressure on it.  I have noticed the newer models no longer have the bend.  Does anyone have an idea on how I could modify mine to eliminate the bend or something else to solve the problem.  Thanks.
Ours suffers this problem since new.
Short solution >>>> get multi grips to allow gripping of REAR of zip without crushing front, squeeze gently on both sides of the slider, now lubricate the zips both sides with wax of silicone spray, then hold canvas upwards to relieve pressure and slowly slide zip along teeth, it should work smoothly. I've found that this little task is required from time to time, but if you hold the canvas upwards to ensure it is even on BOTH sides of the zip, it usually works fine for quiet some time. After negotiating the curve, things become normal.
The following users thanked this post: Wukkers

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #530 on: November 03, 2015, 10:08:39 PM »
Thanks guys.  The zip is probably beyond repair now.  I had some problems with it when we first got the CT and likely the previous owner also.  I was thinking of getting the whole section that contains the zip replaced and have straight zips fitted.  Could I buy that canvas part or would it need to be made specifically for my CT?
Been there, done that, though not for zip repairs. Getting the canvas off, is to put it mildly a bitch. Note too, the canvas has a metal strip enclosed within the hem where the screws go thru and sandwiches it between the ply wood trim. These strips all have holes drilled unevenly, so you need to mark each strip with the front and also which side it goes into, so when re-assembling you get the holes lined up correctly. It's a fiddly job and if done proffessionly, I'd say cost you a packet.
I had to remove the canvas to straighten the pipes, were bent in high winds, then some press studs had pulled out, needed them repaired so off to the canvas repairer it went. Sorry now I didn't get a heavy duty zip installed at the time.

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #531 on: November 03, 2015, 10:16:43 PM »
Hello Cub Owners.

I currently do not own a CUB but am leaning towards a Spacematic Drover when funds become available. But I have a couple of questions.

1/. If I buy a second hand unit (with internal fridge), has anyone taken out the internal fridge and if so what kind of mess is left behind once removed, will some cabinet work be required, floor patched, new piece of vinyl?
But if the fridge was to remain, is there access to it while the camper is folded closed, the reason I ask is that we live near a fruit fly road block and the inspectors like to check your fridges out for any fruit or veg that is not allowed into their fruit fly free zone and it would be a hassle to have to open the tent up, like I have seen on several occasions to other campers for an inspection to take place.

2/. Why is there very few Spacematic Drovers For Sale second hand, are they not very popular or are people so happy with them they are never put up for resale?

Kind Regards
Sam

Sam, I have removed my fridge for service, there are FOUR screws accessed from underneath the camper to remove, then the lpg line needs to be disconnected, that's it, should now come out easy enough. There may be dust or dirt underneath, it's pretty hard to clean it up totally with the fridge in place, a warm water wash should be able to remove the worst, you will be then stuck with for screw holes in the floor, guess these could be fitted with rubber bungs from Clark rubber. Should be no damage to floor or fittings.
Inspection of fridge whilst camper closed is difficult though not impossible, if inspector wishes to get on hands and knees, crank their heads 90 deg, no probs. HEH !
Ref your last question, reckon the folks are simply enjoying their purchase.

Offline idlegossip

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #532 on: November 04, 2015, 10:49:23 PM »
I have the cub spacematic drover and they are a big unit once opened up. I've had mine now for about 6-7 years and love it. Very capable with full independent suspension.

Re the zip, I recently was away and the zipper wouldn't close for the life in me from the first moment. On the curve it kept on separating. We were lucky as we were in a caravan park and we had to put up the walls on the annex to stop the draught coming through the camper.

I went off to officeworks in town and got some bulldog clips to keep the door panels closed for a couple of days and was trying to figure out how I could get it repaired without removing the whole tent. Found a local canvas repair guy who I went and spoke to. He asked me a few questions re missing or broken teeth on the zip, how old etc, and then told me that it was more than likely the slider was worn.

He gave me a suitable slider, told me it pick the zip apart at the tail end, remove the old slider and try the new one. Took about 15 min to do and it now work like new. Total cost was $5.

Well worth the try before removing the whole thing.

Also fridge removal is a few screws and a gas line. Easy as. You have full access to the fridge with the camper closed and heaps of space for thing to be stored at the foot of the bed. I would say an area of 3 feet 3 feet approx.

Under the bed We keep chairs, tables, annex and walls, cooking bits and pieces, etc basically things we don't need till we are setting up camp.

Hope that helps.

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #533 on: November 05, 2015, 03:19:20 PM »
Bloody good point. Looks like a spare slider is going in my spares box ASAP.

Offline FlyingBushPig

• Swag User
  • Cub Spacevan Escape OR. Tug:200 Series
« Reply #534 on: November 10, 2015, 01:44:59 PM »
Hi guys & gals,
Looking for ideas to upgrade the main storage bin (in front of bed) to provide an easy to use clothing system for our family of 5. I've been thinking of building drawers up on top of it, and making the front hinge out (we keep sleeping bags in it for kids). I can go up quite high to the height of the Spacevan walls but wondered if anyone has done similar or has clever ideas?

Cheers, Phil.
-Phil & Kate

Offline roughing it

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #535 on: November 10, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »
How long would the internal 3 way fridge with a 9kg gas bottle last ? We are going to straddie for 2 weeks and have neverr used the fridge as we have the waeco in the car

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #536 on: November 10, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
How long would the internal 3 way fridge with a 9kg gas bottle last ? We are going to straddie for 2 weeks and have neverr used the fridge as we have the waeco in the car

i would take a back up bottle or be prepared to get it filled

i've used the rm2350 90ltr dometic unit and in 9 days emptied it
(not sure if that's normal, but that's what it used)
fridge was set to max cold, but only opened 1-2 times a day
as i also had the waeco in the back of the ute

:cheers:
Adam
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #537 on: November 10, 2015, 02:29:02 PM »
Quote from: idlegossip
Found a local canvas repair guy who I went and spoke to. He asked me a few questions re missing or broken teeth on the zip, how old etc, and then told me that it was more than likely the slider was worn.

He gave me a suitable slider, told me it pick the zip apart at the tail end, remove the old slider and try the new one. Took about 15 min to do and it now work like new. Total cost was $5.

Well worth the try before removing the whole thing.
that's handy to know... none of my zipper tabs lasted much more than a year.. they were the cheapest Shit material by the feel of them...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #538 on: November 10, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »
Hi guys & gals,
Looking for ideas to upgrade the main storage bin (in front of bed) to provide an easy to use clothing system for our family of 5. I've been thinking of building drawers up on top of it, and making the front hinge out (we keep sleeping bags in it for kids). I can go up quite high to the height of the Spacevan walls but wondered if anyone has done similar or has clever ideas?

Cheers, Phil.

Here you go Phil.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline FlyingBushPig

• Swag User
« Reply #539 on: November 10, 2015, 06:16:52 PM »
Thanks mate. Pretty much exactly what I'd like to do, but keep the existing area for  sleeping bags. Looks good, but I'm guessing that's also heavy?
-Phil & Kate

Offline Stewart

• Tent User
    • Camping with a Cocktail
« Reply #540 on: November 10, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
We use the Closet Maid wire drawer system from bunnings in our supamatic. They are the right height for our cub and let the air circulate when all packed up. Two large drawers and one small drawer in each side hold heaps of clothes and stuff. Bunnings sell laminated tops for them as well.  Light enough to pick up and put on the hard floor if we are staying for a week and want more space at the foot of the bed.
Prado 150 and Cub Supamatic Escape
https://www.campingwithacocktail.com/
The following users thanked this post: FlyingBushPig

Offline outbackogre

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #541 on: November 10, 2015, 08:52:24 PM »
Thanks mate. Pretty much exactly what I'd like to do, but keep the existing area for  sleeping bags. Looks good, but I'm guessing that's also heavy?

It's an old pine dresser so not that heavy.  I'd like to do the same on the other side but I think I'd need to shift the electrics.
My friends call me Rob.  You can call me ... Rob!
NW auto diesel Pajero towing a Jayco Starcraft Outback.

Offline FlyingBushPig

• Swag User
« Reply #542 on: November 12, 2015, 12:13:06 AM »
I've made the little box next to the fridge area into the battery box, with an ark pack and all the switches etc in there so no way I'm touching that area soon...

I'm hoping to make the drawers permanent as I hate pulling everything out every time we stop. Doing Tas over Christmas so lots of 1 nighters.
-Phil & Kate

Offline itchvet

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #543 on: November 26, 2015, 05:27:13 PM »

My 9 K lpg bottle lasted 16 days, but it also served as the cooking supply as well. I dare say if just used for the fridge, it's probably last longer.
Hint to consider, recently did a trip through W.A. Pilbara, ran low on gas, dropped into TOM PRICE township to fill up lpg bottle, discovered there is only ONE facility to fill such bottles and the price was over the moon, $35 for one bottle, but if you've got 4.5 K bottles, they can SWAP them out and they are much cheaper. W.T.F. :-(

Offline TDB007

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #544 on: August 29, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »

G'day all
Sorry to post such a dumb question.... But I'd feel a lot dumber if I was out on the track and didn't know the answer...
I've got a brumby (independent suspension) and can't work out where the scissor jack would be placed if I wanted to change a tyre!
Any advice would be appreciated :)
Cheers Robbo

Hi Robbo
I have a Cub Escape off Road with 16 inch wheels and has independent suspension,
I use a hydraulic jack under where the axle is on the swinging arm, I have a couple of blocks of wood to sit the jack to to get enough height (Standard wheels are 15 inch, I have 16 inch wheels)

HTH Ray

Hi Robbo and Ray,

I was wondering the same thing about my new Brumby and the scissor-jack. The "instructions" supplied by Cub tell me all sorts of stuff except anything about tyre-changing. I tried using the scissor-jack on the axle, but the cut-out on the supplied jack doesn't fit too well. Any thoughts, or should I do as Ray has done and use a different jack?

Cheers,
TDB

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #545 on: October 07, 2016, 07:44:09 PM »
Has been bought to my attention that the link to a video I put up (back on p13) showing how to setup your CUB, plus reset the tent, doesn't work anymore :(
So I've re uploaded it to YouTube

If you want to save a copy for later viewing, go to KeepVid, copy the Youtube link into the box, hit 'Download'.

You'll then be prompted for the file type you want to save it as
Bob and Robyn

The following users thanked this post: Kingshill

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #546 on: October 25, 2016, 07:16:36 PM »
Hey Cub Club
I have just paid close to $90 ??? for new wheel bearing seals from my usual bearing suppliers.I have been told that these are the only ones he could source, bit late for this time but could any one who has any information on alternatives or better price for quality brand I am not interested in cheap chinese or unknown units
We have a 2006 Cub Spacematic Off Road.
National Oil seals 474272.   2.000 x 2.717x 0.375
 :cheers:
Grizzly
The following users thanked this post: Markoutback

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #547 on: October 25, 2016, 08:35:55 PM »
grizzly 
 Buy the kit , pay the price  , & get spares  . lts not hard to carry but its really hard to fabricate  out there  . My Supermatic Escape  has the oil seals that are really hard to find so l carry 3 spares incase  1 stuffs up . l will then be able to get home & that's as far as l need to go .                    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline grizzly

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #548 on: October 29, 2016, 07:18:03 AM »
Hey Speewa
I got the seals .They are hard to find and I always carry spares but they have never been this expensive ???
Grizzly  :cheers:

Offline Diamonds

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #549 on: November 05, 2016, 11:14:54 AM »
Hi guys,

Joined the Cub Club with an '01 Drover.  Out and about so no pics.  I can't for the life of me get the water filler cap off.  I turn the key both ways and still can't.   I am being gentle as I don't want to bust it.  Any tips on getting it off?

Ta Mick