Author Topic: Garage Heating  (Read 19273 times)

Offline aussie9

• Tent User
Re: Garage Heating
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2019, 03:44:26 PM »
I suppose the next thing will be  someone to invent a reverse cycle diesel heater that air çonditions through summer. 

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2019, 03:49:58 PM »
I suppose the next thing will be  someone to invent a reverse cycle diesel heater that air çonditions through summer. 

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
I want them to hook up an alternator so it charges up the batteries while it runs. Because I have the correct silencers in the right places I can’t hear mine 20 feet away when on low. The 5 is many times quieter than the 2 was - it was genuinely noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2019, 04:48:32 PM »
I want them to hook up an alternator so it charges up the batteries while it runs. Because I have the correct silencers in the right places I can’t hear mine 20 feet away when on low. The 5 is many times quieter than the 2 was - it was genuinely noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got industrial deafness too, but I can still hear mine from 40ft away.
Your deafness must be really bad !!  ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2019, 09:31:47 AM »
Just a final evaluation of the 8kw diesel heater as a garage heater.

The garage still isn't sealed how I want to seal it (Ill get to that at some stage) but on a night when the outside temps are between zero and 5 degrees the heater takes the chill out of the air quite fast.

Late last night I was out there doing stuff and in the adjacent storage shed that has no heating it was bloody freezing and a lot of steam was blowing out of my mouth. But in the main shed there was a noticeable difference and no steam when I breathed.

It's not a heater that would suffice to heat a shed up for a sit down shed party in winter that has people who feel the cold I dont think, but more than adequate for me when out there in winter tinkering around.

It is fast, easy to turn on and off, very efficient and clean.

I still wouldn't rule out a wood heater or one of those demon oil heaters at some stage if I was to have Grand Final day or Bathurst day in the shed and it was cold but I think ill give this diesel heater a chance on those fringe months and see how it performs. Which going by how it was when the temps were between 5 and 10 degrees Id say it would be perfect.

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2019, 10:31:30 AM »
Get onto some cheap insulation and you’ll be home free.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2019, 10:35:23 AM »
Get onto some cheap insulation and you’ll be home free.

Ill probably never insulate the walls, its just a shed, although I will admit insulating it and lining it had crossed my mind prior to it being built. The roof has a pretty good insulation on it for condensation.

All I really want to do is seal the trimdek sheeting where it meets the concrete and I have to put a brush seal at the top of the rear roller door. The large main front roller door is sealed for the fire rating. Then at least no drafts can get in.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2019, 10:54:58 AM »
Ill probably never insulate the walls, its just a shed, although I will admit insulating it and lining it had crossed my mind prior to it being built. The roof has a pretty good insulation on it for condensation.

All I really want to do is seal the trimdek sheeting where it meets the concrete and I have to put a brush seal at the top of the rear roller door. The large main front roller door is sealed for the fire rating. Then at least no drafts can get in.

For the trim deck, I was looking at sealing mine for a while with a few different products but didn't find anything that I really liked, so one day I grabbed a can of expanding foam that I had and gave each of the gaps a little squirt. Looked ok from the inside but the outside where it oozed out looked pretty ugly. Then when I was doing the lawn I hit a bit with the whipper snipper and it pretty much turned that bit that it hit into dust. A couple of mins later and I had tidied up all the extra oozed out bits without even having to bend over. 

Was in hindsight a cheap and easy way to seal it, the only tip I would add is to have a piece of cardboard etc in one hand as you are doing it, as although you stop squirting in between each bit,, what is in the tube keeps expanding. So if you are moving more than just the small gap in between the adjoining holes, it's better to just rest the nozzle on that than having to clean up some dags.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2019, 01:57:07 PM »
For the trim deck, I was looking at sealing mine for a while with a few different products but didn't find anything that I really liked, so one day I grabbed a can of expanding foam that I had and gave each of the gaps a little squirt. Looked ok from the inside but the outside where it oozed out looked pretty ugly. Then when I was doing the lawn I hit a bit with the whipper snipper and it pretty much turned that bit that it hit into dust. A couple of mins later and I had tidied up all the extra oozed out bits without even having to bend over. 

Was in hindsight a cheap and easy way to seal it, the only tip I would add is to have a piece of cardboard etc in one hand as you are doing it, as although you stop squirting in between each bit,, what is in the tube keeps expanding. So if you are moving more than just the small gap in between the adjoining holes, it's better to just rest the nozzle on that than having to clean up some dags.

Yeh thanks for that. I used expandable foam to seal the toilet area as I gyprocked and insulated the Loo and didnt want moisture getting up through the sheeting.

I was thinking of either using it for the rest of the shed or buying the actual foam inserts that lysaghts sell for that exact thing.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2019, 11:16:01 PM »
Yep I was actually thinking of mixing in some old sump oil into my fuel to get rid of the stuff. I wonder if it would work?

Have you tried this yet and if so how did it go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2019, 05:11:48 AM »
Have you tried this yet and if so how did it go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL You know how it went but for everyone else, if I get the oil to diesel ratio right I can make it look like this....................so dont add oil to your diesel unless of course you see the amusing side to it  >:D

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, GBC

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2019, 10:40:31 AM »
Used to do that at the wreckers years ago, feed a couple of liters of diesel down the carb of an old Holden or Ford  motor at revs, used to feed the exhaust into a drain pipe and watch the white smoke billow from the drain entry points all up and down the industrial estate .. Kept the mosquito / midgee population down a bit too .
Metal fab mate next door used to make a fair bit of noised so at times we'd smoke him out too . So he'd tack weld our gates shut .. great bloke " Uncle john " R.I.P. ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2019, 04:47:16 PM »
So he'd tack weld our gates shut

hahah thats a bit like cable tying someone's camper zip closed from the outside................

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2019, 05:17:32 PM »
l had a 9kg gas can  rolled on its side with a flap cut in the  top 1/4 . The flue was a wet sleeve from a 165 Massey tractor  tec screwed 900mm down pipes to the roof line . All my wood scraps from projects went into it , heated up a treat . .
When l reconfigured the shed to house the Exodus 14  it was sold off to a better home , to make room
l do miss the heater but love the camper ,,,,,,,,,Lots                            :cup:

You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
Just a little update on the diesel heater in the garage now that I have used it quite a bit.

It is a fast and easy to use way of taking the chill out of the air but it doesnt make the garage comfortable enough to have a party in it for instance on a freezing night so I made a little addition for the very cold nights.

I built a little pot belly wood burner out of truck brake drums and I can say that it more than takes the chill out of the air. It cooks the garage very easily with only a tiny fire in it.

When I grabbed the brake drums I also grabbed the stack off the wrecked truck and used the chrome section as the part that i welded to the heater top. I also put a damper in the chrome section. The rest of the flue is a proper stainless flue for a wood heater. I cut and shut the truck muffler and made a double wall section where the flue goes through the shed roof so I could use the dektite silicone seal over it.

I am going to mount the trucks exhaust guard around the flue as it gets stupid hot. A bit like this only Ill lift it up about half a metre so you can still see the pretty chrome stack ;)

Im also going to fold up a tray to attach to the section I cut out on the bottom as this acts as an air vent as well as a ash collector.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline bagpuss

• Tent User
  • Living the dream
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2019, 07:07:09 PM »
Danny G that is brilliant well done mate

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2019, 05:27:35 PM »
Just a little update on the diesel heater in the garage now that I have used it quite a bit.

It is a fast and easy to use way of taking the chill out of the air but it doesnt make the garage comfortable enough to have a party in it for instance on a freezing night so I made a little addition for the very cold nights.

I built a little pot belly wood burner out of truck brake drums and I can say that it more than takes the chill out of the air. It cooks the garage very easily with only a tiny fire in it.

When I grabbed the brake drums I also grabbed the stack off the wrecked truck and used the chrome section as the part that i welded to the heater top. I also put a damper in the chrome section. The rest of the flue is a proper stainless flue for a wood heater. I cut and shut the truck muffler and made a double wall section where the flue goes through the shed roof so I could use the dektite silicone seal over it.

I am going to mount the trucks exhaust guard around the flue as it gets stupid hot. A bit like this only Ill lift it up about half a metre so you can still see the pretty chrome stack ;)

Im also going to fold up a tray to attach to the section I cut out on the bottom as this acts as an air vent as well as a ash collector.

Nice work mate. I have a couple of truck brake drums like that in the yard, but not the bottom section. Would you mind showing a few details of how you did the bottom bit for the ash removal?

They put out a lot of heat when you get them glowing cherry red don't they..
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »
Wouldn't you be better off getting an RC aircon and they even do portable ones-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-3072BTU-Air-Conditioner-Window-Wall-Box-Refrigerated-Cooler-Heater-Portable/123876462196
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2019, 05:31:44 PM »
Nice work mate. I have a couple of truck brake drums like that in the yard, but not the bottom section. Would you mind showing a few details of how you did the bottom bit for the ash removal?

They put out a lot of heat when you get them glowing cherry red don't they..

Thanks the bottom is just another brake drum.
I cut out a section and welded up a tray out of 5mm plate to attach to the cut out.
It works as a vent as well as an ash collector.
Here’s a pic, it’s a bit dirty because I just hosed the garage floor!

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »
Thanks mate @DannyG, I might get enthusiastic about doing a proper job with mine now. I've got 3 of the longer ones, and two of the shorter ones. I bought them at a garage sale about 15 years ago, for $20.00 for the lot. The idea was to build a pot belly stove like I saw at the SGT's mess at Laverton, many years ago. It was a full on pot belly, with a door for loading wood in the top drum. The heat shield they had around the flue was only semi successful, as I found out when not thinking, I leant against it with my hand. Got a pretty nasty burn over the palm of my hand. Lucky I was p1ssed at the time, or it would have hurt like hell.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.