Author Topic: Garage Heating  (Read 19259 times)

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Garage Heating
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2019, 03:58:04 PM »
On the subject of heaters, just had this come through this morning

https://www.awardrv.com.au/gasmate-propane-ducted-camping-heater

May be an easier way of doing things than hard-mounting one in your van or whatever ???

It’d be interesting too see how much heat they put out. Running on the canisters definitely wouldn’t be as economical as diesel though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2019, 05:16:08 PM »
It’d be interesting too see how much heat they put out. Running on the canisters definitely wouldn’t be as economical as diesel though.

90g/h, convert to a 4.5kg cylinder $10-15 fill for approx 50 hrs run time, not to bad. Might not Beas temperamental as the cheap diesel heaters and it's portable.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline bob65

• Swag User
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2019, 05:43:34 PM »
Can you run a propane heater on lpg?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2019, 06:21:19 PM »

Must do, I just bought a Buddy heater that uses the little propane cylinders and they sold me an adaptor hose to use with my 4.5 kg cylinder, ran it for about 3 hrs the other day, no issues.
LPG is liquid petroleum gas or in lay mans terms, propane.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2019, 06:21:58 PM »

That’d be a yes

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2019, 07:21:35 PM »
90g/h, convert to a 4.5kg cylinder $10-15 fill for approx 50 hrs run time, not to bad. Might not Beas temperamental as the cheap diesel heaters and it's portable.

Are the cheap diesel heaters temperamental ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2019, 07:37:02 PM »
I put the diesel heater on high for 1 hour 50 minutes tonight. 8 degree's outside, 14 degrees inside using an old fashioned mercury thermometer on the other side of the garage.

There was a distinct feeling of warmth coming from outside to inside the garage but it still felt pretty cold after being in it for while, but I suppose 14 degree's isnt exactly warm, especially considering I came from inside a very warm house, however if I was doing something other than just standing there it wasnt any where near as cold as it usually is.

So even though I havent sealed the garage up properly yet I am reasonable confident it will do the job and considering it is a heater less than $200 and very efficient I am happy enough so far.

I am going to seal the garage tomorrow and run the heater for a longer time tomorrow arvo/night so that will tell the real story.

But initial thoughts would tell me that it is effective enough for me to be out there working but if I was hosting a shed party for instance I would imagine my wife would be feeling the cold.......but she is a very cold person.....very very cold and nasty and heartless lady like they all are ;D Just kidding, she isnt a lady.......

So any youtube videos telling you not to run these heaters on high because they shut down is fake news, and anyone telling you not to start them on high is also fake news.....but just like everyone else, this is only my opinion.

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »
Are the cheap diesel heaters temperamental ??

Gronk my statement on them being temperamental is based on what you read on forums, sooting up, difficult to start, cutting out, noisy etc. I note though many people have no issues and love them.
I like the idea of a propane heater, nice and clean, pretty economical, portable and I would not think it would be too noisy.

Offline bob65

• Swag User
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2019, 07:50:51 PM »
You can get those same cheap diesel heaters in a portable format, they don't have to be fixed in place.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2019, 09:04:56 PM »
When my time comes, which is not far off, I'll pay a little extra, get a warranty, and take it along when I need it.
http://www.dieselheatingaustralia.com/products-pricing/snugger-remote-sf2-diesel-heater/

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2019, 09:54:38 PM »
When my time comes, which is not far off, I'll pay a little extra, get a warranty, and take it along when I need it.
http://www.dieselheatingaustralia.com/products-pricing/snugger-remote-sf2-diesel-heater/

A little extra? $1500 extra on a $200 product just so you get a warranty?

Parts are so readily available for diesel heaters for next to nothing and they are very simple to work on I can’t see the reasoning to pay an extra $1500?
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2019, 10:08:20 PM »

Parts are so readily available for diesel heaters for next to nothing and they are very simple to work on I can’t see the reasoning to pay an extra $1500?

I'd agree. Even if the main unit crapped itself, another $200 is not over the top and you'd have a box full of spares. I picked my unit ( from a fair few on ebay) because it says it has a 2 yr warranty ..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2019, 11:46:38 PM »

Simple for you, not for me, I make all my own furniture, beds, kitchens, sheds,  etc so way ahead on this simple stuff.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2019, 06:12:27 AM »

That’s what I just finished tearing out of my camper and replacing with an ebay 5kw. Roger who owns DHA is great to deal with. Mine died and it was easier to buy new than wait for parts. Having settable speeds is a bit of a godsend on the newer units. Glad I swapped mine even if it was an expensive exercise. When I bought it the eBay ones where only just appearing.

CTL

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2019, 08:13:18 AM »
DannyG do you have a link to the one you bought  :cheers:

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2019, 08:20:39 AM »
DannyG do you have a link to the one you bought  :cheers:

This is the exact supplier and heater I bought. I paid a little extra to get the latest fancy ecu with the pretty pictures. Two days shipping to arrive so great service.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-8KW-Diesel-Air-Heater-Tank-Remote-Control-Thermostat-Caravan-Motorhome-RV-AU/254293986231

However the pretty pictures are really just a novelty so if you wanted to save a few dollars i see the older version for a bit less but I can not say what the suppliers are like.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diesel-Air-Heater-12V-8KW-Remote-Control-Convenient-Adjustable-RV-Caravan/183805353903

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2019, 08:41:53 AM »

Would you also be able to run an adaptor of some sort to one of the little butane canisters ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

CTL

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2019, 01:25:27 PM »
This is the exact supplier and heater I bought. I paid a little extra to get the latest fancy ecu with the pretty pictures. Two days shipping to arrive so great service.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-8KW-Diesel-Air-Heater-Tank-Remote-Control-Thermostat-Caravan-Motorhome-RV-AU/254293986231

However the pretty pictures are really just a novelty so if you wanted to save a few dollars i see the older version for a bit less but I can not say what the suppliers are like.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diesel-Air-Heater-12V-8KW-Remote-Control-Convenient-Adjustable-RV-Caravan/183805353903

Thank you  :cheers:

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2019, 10:03:12 AM »
Just a quick update on the little diesel heaters performance yesterday arvo and night. This thing is a little rocket. I ran it on high for at least 4 hours with no issues at all.

It wasn't that cold outside....around 12 degrees.......so the garage was toasty warm.

The real test will be when we get the nights around zero degrees to see if it is going to heat the area up and it wont be that cold all week by the looks of it. But I managed to get it all installed permanently enough with the exhaust running up and through the top of the wall. Ill get some pics later, its a real dad and dave show ;)

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2019, 05:36:35 PM »
Finished installing the diesel heater in the camper yesterday....haven't worked out all the different settings on the controller, but fired it up, made the temp go up and down, and worked a charm !!
Certainly not quiet....running 2 mufflers on the exhaust, but most of the noise comes from the intake, but will most likely only run it before going to bed and in the morning for the soft missus to get up !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2019, 06:51:11 PM »
Got the silencer on the intake?

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2019, 07:48:24 PM »
Got the silencer on the intake?

It came with a so called silencer, but looking at the tests done on youtube, apart from not making it quieter, it doesn't stop dust and dirt getting in. I bought one on ebay that looks similar, but has fine mesh for a filter.
Have you got a pic of one that is actually a silencer ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2019, 08:50:33 PM »
The ones I use you on my heaters are just a black plastic diffuser type thing.
They are not great but they do silence it more than not using them.

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
Intake silencers are black plastic with a foam liner. They work well.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2019, 09:26:44 PM »
Intake silencers are black plastic with a foam liner. They work well.

But they don't stop dirt or bugs etc from getting in....and according to youtube tests, they make no difference to noise levels ?
If I go away next weekend I'll take the diffuser thing and do a back to back test .
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra