Author Topic: Internet speed test  (Read 33579 times)

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
Re: Internet speed test
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »
Telstra cable, on the old dunger PC with wireless connection in my shed...... :'(

thats what my speed is sposed to be around Geoff. what Exetel advertise and what they deliver are two different things, will be giving them the bad news they are a customer short very soon.

Sent from my computer & sent three weeks ago.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2014, 11:58:18 AM »

I'm happy with ours.  We only got ADSL2 a few months back after being on a waiting list forever.
My area is scheduled to get NBN around 2027... >:(

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »
Today:

This has been our normal connection speed since installing Telstra Ultimate Cable over a year ago.

Our connection is Hybrid Fibre Co-ax ("HFC"). IMHO, this is the preferred system of connection for 99.99% of us all. Fibre to the premises has huge technical problems that all but disappear if one does the last 20-200m using either co-ax or UTP. The normal phone lines are 2 pair UTP. The backbone wiring of our house is 4 pair UTP (Category 5 network cable), it is running at 1,000 Mbps, full duplex ... . One could use normal 2 pair UTP phone cable for this, but it would probably not be as fast or as reliable. Category 6 UTP has a nylon spine that makes it more robust and much harder to damage during installation. Cat.6 is not usually faster than properly installed Cat.5. There is also shielded UTP (Shielded Un-shielded Twisted Pair, LOL!). The latter is hugely more expensive than Cat.5 or Cat.6, but has some application for specially problematic environments with huge amounts of RF noise that interferes badly with both the near-end crosstalk and the far-end crosstalk, degrading the signal reliability and therefore speed..

When we first got cable, it didn't work at all for some months. Telstra eventually sent out a Level 2 Technician. It took him less than 30 minutes to re-terminate all the dodgy co-ax connections, including the one at the optical fibre break-out box about 30 feet up a pole on a sloping nature strip across the road. Such a problem with fibre to the premises, would have taken a couple of techs; re-running a purpose made optical fibre from the street break-out box; and a small truck full of special equipment to terminate the specially made fibre optic cable ...

Under the original NBN plan of the previous government, all HFC connections could only be used for transmission of television ... HFC currently runs past around 2.4 MILLION Australian premises ...

My only complaint with our current connection is the artificial hobbling of the upload speed, a feature of all ISPs AFAIK.

Apparently this still exists with the planned NBN system, but the upload speed should go to around 40 Mbps. If I wanted to, I could use my mobile phone as a WiFi server, and upload using it and my laptop. This would give me far faster upload speeds. Just too much hassle!

When we had ADSL2+ with Telstra, we had download speeds of around 11-13 Mbps; upload speed of 1.5 Mbps; and a ping time of around 25-40 ms.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »
Have you been told today??

If not I reckon your about too   ;D
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline crykies

• Tent User
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
Nbn here.  Never had a problem with it. Just the mrs n kids download like crazy. 
www.beachloversleds.com.au

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2014, 07:37:52 PM »
Today:

This has been our normal connection speed since installing Telstra Ultimate Cable over a year ago.

Nice numbers Ratbag. We've had similar for several years....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2014, 08:06:30 PM »
Gidday Geoff

Yeah, they are. The upload speed is still really crappy though.

The only reason I went to cable was to get a bit  higher upload speed for my photos. Increase from 1.5 Mbps to 2.4-2.5 Mbps on average. When I upload 50-100 photos at once at around 1-1.5 MB each, it does make a difference. I would have paid what I was paying for the fastest ADSL2+ for DSL with the same speed each way of (say) 5 Mbps instead of 12 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up ...

Throttling upload speed is the main problem with the Internet, and what most businesses are really complaining about, whether they realise it or not.

As I said before, my mobile phone gives me around 20-40 Mbps upload speed ...

Offline poddy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
Stop complaining, I'm with Telstra, my speeds are:

Ping 38ms       Download 0.27mbps       Upload   0.63

and to top that off the internet drops out altogether with regular monotony. They tell me it's my modem when half the other users in my suburb are having similar problems grrrrrrrrrrr.
Rob.

Offline Bjs58

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2014, 09:28:50 PM »

just did mine and this is what I get
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:31:17 PM by Bjs58 »
2009 Hyundai Sante Fe Elite
Track and Tow Pack

2007 Jayco Flamingo

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2014, 09:49:47 PM »
Perth Hills
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »
Download speeds are a bit like having an F1 car on the freeway. You can go like the clappers until you hit the traffic.
Same with internet speeds, contention is the key word

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2014, 12:03:11 AM »
And now at 8:30. We see this all the time and the congestion through Karratha id pathetic. Effect us at work also. So while the NBN may use the MPLS network the ADSl does not - Oh, that's right, we can't get NBN. But we are ,lucky, they will provide via Wireless or Satellite. Fancy that, not actually providing a service to the remotes where it would make the biggest difference for health and education and even then the Sat foot print misses most of the Tanami desert location  >:D

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:09:11 AM by SteveandViv »
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2014, 07:34:25 AM »
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Ratbag

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »
Gidday Rob

Stop complaining, I'm with Telstra, my speeds are:

Ping 38ms       Download 0.27mbps       Upload   0.63

and to top that off the internet drops out altogether with regular monotony. They tell me it's my modem when half the other users in my suburb are having similar problems grrrrrrrrrrr.
Rob.

You have my sympathy ... :(

Mate, I am sure as heck not complaining about the download speed. The only servers that will come close to giving one this sort of bandwidth are the Microsoft ones. If I download (say) a 400-500 MB update package, the server will serve me the first 100-200 MB in a minute or less, then it realises that I am hitting it up, and their server (or router, or whatever) throttles my port back to a far lesser speed. It can take a further 10 minutes to download the rest of it.

As for Telstra ... It took nearly 3 years, and for me to stop paying their accounts for about 6 months, for them to finally fix my ADSL phone line (our outgoing line).
Some idiot in their accounts department then decided to cancel all our services about a week later (not suspend; cancel ... )!! In order to do this, they have to look at a screen that states "Account and service in dispute, do not restrict or disconnect service until {a date about 9 months into the future}" and also "Medical Priority - DO NOT DISCONNECT OR RESTRICT SERVICE".

When the account was cancelled, both our mobiles could no longer access 000. This could have killed me. By midday, the person who cancelled our account no longer worked for Telstra ... By around 0930H I was dealing with the Executive Director Digital's office directly - can't remember Gert's exact title, but something like that.

I discovered this at 0745H. Our mobiles were working by 0805H, and all the other phones and Internet were working by around midday Then it took another couple of months to straighten all the plans out properly ...
They "decided" not to  pursue the 6 months of outstanding bills, and a number of other beneficial changes occurred ... I can be very persuasive.

Perseverance with Telstra will pay off.

Don't be backward about asking for large refunds. They will do it. BUT only if you ask ...

All in all, Telstra have refunded us around $3,000-4,000 because of various stuff-ups over about 5 years.

Offline andyandcill

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »
The joys of living in the country. :-[
Download
1.43Mb/s
Upload
0.24Mb/s

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:04:57 PM by andyandcill »

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2014, 09:32:55 PM »
Fark .... We live in a new suburb and can't get any cable and the fastest internet we can get is 700kbps upload ..... It worse than living in the third world .... Lol

yogi

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »
Fark .... We live in a new suburb and can't get any cable and the fastest internet we can get is 700kbps upload ..... It worse than living in the third world .... Lol

yogi

Yea you live in a new suburb. You can wait your bloody turn right,  about 100 year.  ;D ;D
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
It only took 5 years to get the internet faster than a 56k modem ... Lol ... It's not like we live in the year 2000 .... Oh that's right we do :cup:

yogi

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2014, 10:14:45 PM »
this is what i am getting, and they tell me this is as good as i will get here on adsl2 here.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:17:50 PM by jclures »

Offline Jasman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »
Prepare to drool!  NBN at it's best, I could squeeze a little more out of it if I dialed back the security but it should suffice.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:49:18 PM by Jasman »

Offline Woodsie

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Off the beaten track in this Great Country of Ours
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2014, 12:10:19 AM »
Tony Woods 06 HZJ105 Turbo/IC
2012 Eureka Hard Floor Camper

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2014, 06:35:43 AM »
Jasman the government tell us that what we have is good enough, It looks like we will be a country divided. ???

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Optus cable, I have had this speed since it first came out some 15? years ago.
Everything is almost instantaneous in general use.
Can't imagine what 95MB download would be like.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:45:04 PM by Kangaron »

Offline Jasman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2014, 03:17:29 PM »
Optus cable, I have had this speed since it first came out some 15? years ago.
Everything is almost instantaneous in general use.
Can't imagine what 95MB download would be like.

To be honest you probably wouldn't notice much difference as not many things are uploaded at that speed, in day to day use I can't notice much difference over my old 20MB ADSL connection - but occasionally you'll do something like a Microsoft download and then you see what she can do.  I have mine for business use really and it come into it's own for site-to-site VPN's

Offline Paul (SA)

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »
We are about to go FTTP NBN next week, currently we are Naked DSL through Adam Internet. Will be interesting to see the improvement post connection.

Here is my result post connection to NBN for comparison. I now have about an extra 0.6 of a second time saved loading internet pages. What am I going to do with all this time saved?

2014 NW Pajero
2012 Jayco Swift OB